Airbag light resistor cheat

Dieseldonkey

150 DSG Shuttle Conversion
VIP Member
T6 Legend
While doing some work on the van with the passenger seat temporarily removed, I played about with some 1 ohm resistors, to see what value would prevent the airbag light illuminating when the ignition was switched on. 3 ohms (photo shows 3 x 1 ohm in series) across the white and green wires did the trick.

If you dont have Carista or VCDS to reset the light, doing it this way might work for you considering the front passanger seat(s) is often taken out by folk when doing various fit out tasks.

20180216_140803.jpg

Last edited:
While doing some work on the van with the passenger seat temporarily removed, I played about with some 1 ohm resistors, to see what value would prevent the airbag light illuminating when the ignition was switched on. 3 ohms (photo shows 3 x 1 ohm in series) across the white and green wires did the trick.

If you dont have Carista or VCDS to reset the light, doing it this way might work for you considering the front passanger seat(s) is often taken out by folk when doing various fit out tasks.

View attachment 18191
Morning @Dieseldonkey
Can i pick your brain please pal......Can you advise how i fit these resistors please? I dont have any yet but what do i need to buy?
Cheers bud.

My garage suggests a 2.4 ohm resistor, or at least under 3ohms. My 3ohm resistor appears to have worked when I had the garage clear my seat airbag fault.

I originally fitted a 2.6 ohm resistor which worked for best part of a year, then recently the airbag light re-appeared, although nothing had been changed. I replaced it with a new 2.6 ohm resistor - thinking there was a fault with the resistor but the air bag light stayed on each time i tried to clear the fault. I came across another thread on the forum where it stated a 2.9 ohm resistor was required. So i bought some of those and fitted one and it did the trick. Cleared the fault with Carista.

I used resistors for this, 4.2ohms I bought about 100 off them if anyone want any..,
Hi Loz,

Do you have any resistors you bought to resolve the passenger seat air bag fault left please? Can I buy a couple off you please? I can pay by paypal. Rather this than buy a 100 off the web, o my to need one or two.

Cheers Dave Crampton

Hi Loz,

Do you have any resistors you bought to resolve the passenger seat air bag fault left please? Can I buy a couple off you please? I can pay by paypal. Rather this than buy a 100 off the web, o my to need one or two.

Cheers Dave Crampton
Hi Dave
I'm happy to pop a couple in the post for free; just pm me your address.

Will the air bag still work if involved in an accident with resistors fitted??
My passenger seat does not have an airbag. My original double bench does, and the connector to the bench needs a resistor to fool the micro controller in the van.

My passenger seat does not have an airbag. My original double bench does, and the connector to the bench needs a resistor to fool the micro controller in the van.
Dave, I was think more the air bag in the dash. I don’t think my double seat has an airbag. I understand it has occupancy sensors so it knows someone is sat in the seat and where they are sat I.e. next to window or driver, that’s how I understand it?

Dave, I was think more the air bag in the dash. I don’t think my double seat has an airbag. I understand it has occupancy sensors so it knows someone is sat in the seat and where they are sat I.e. next to window or driver, that’s how I understand it?
I popped to my local mechanic garage yesterday as my coil light was flashing. He tried the airbag reset at the same time, but looking at the 'resistor' it looks like I didn't read the sellers info correctly. I bought a test probe, not the resistor. Also the sensor cable is for the seatbelt pre tensioner not an airbag. So I have asked Loz if I can have a couple of his 3 ohm resistors to attempt to fix my warning light issue.

The coils flashing light indicates a fuel temp sensor issue, btw.

I popped to my local mechanic garage yesterday as my coil light was flashing. He tried the airbag reset at the same time, but looking at the 'resistor' it looks like I didn't read the sellers info correctly. I bought a test probe, not the resistor. Also the sensor cable is for the seatbelt pre tensioner not an airbag. So I have asked Loz if I can have a couple of his 3 ohm resistors to attempt to fix my warning light issue.

The coils flashing light indicates a fuel temp sensor issue, btw.
Resisters in the post.

re: fuel temp sensor issue see;

OK, I decided to look at this another way...

First: The bench has a seatbelt pre-tensioner for the 'middle' seat. Unfortunately the connector does not go to the seat belt clip (female). It goes into the seat back, the belt return sprung wheel. My original thoughts were to remove the item plugged into the seatbelt yellow clip and just house it under the seat. But that won't work without butchering the seat.

So then: I then dug out my multimeter and measured the resistance between the three different wires. Brown was open circuit (not connected) but white and green lines show 2.2 ohms. You can't do this with the connector unclipped as there is a sprung metal gate which shorts two of the wires together. So I dug out the yellow connector from my van and re-connected it in and measured off the extender 'white' connectors I have in to extent the lines for when I had a double swivel.

The resistance between the green and white wires is 2.2 ohms. I have 4.8 ohms resistors in hand so paralleling up two of the 4.8 ohm resistors will give me half the value of a single resistor, which I want. I'll pop it in and get the garage to try reseting the settings in the van, then report back.

Booked in for the 20th.... :confused:

IMG_20230111_140059.jpgIMG_20230111_141833.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 18191
Without me sounding daft is this mod just a case of pushing these into the yellow connector?
how do they stay in? And do you cover them with insulation tape was fitted
thanks
Paul

Back