Carista Fault Code 9440017 air bag

scobiej

I recently installed a passenger double seat swivel base. I unplugged the airbag cable to do the install but the airbag light came on in the dash. I've read about installing a 3.3 ohm resistor to get rid of it but when doing so, I accidently put the resistor across the brown and white wires before putting them across the green and white wires.
When starting the t6, the airbag light goes out for about a second then comes back on. Doing a diag using Carista, the above error code shows up on the airbag which, when reading up about it, suggests a short to ground. Before I removed the seat, everything was fine. Any suggestions?

If you have an airbag in the seat, why would you need to fit a resistor?

There is no airbag in the seat. Standard connector to the seatbelt connector. It's a common problem that you can't connect it back up when you install a swivel base under the seat. The solution is to install a resistor so it's not an open loop. Unfortunately, as I've found out, you're supposed to do it before switching the van on again, otherwise the error code registers and you have to clear it. After installing the resistor, that code disappeared but this one came up.

You need a 3.9 ohm resistor, not a 3.3, perhaps this is causing the fault?

If I was to add another 1ohm in series to take to 4.3ohm, would that be a problem or do I have to have a 3.9 exactly?

Being nit picky but you are aware your liable for the safety of occupants when your driving, augmenting the srs system without a designated isolator I’d check where you stand on this I would suggest a latching connector you could connect and disconnect and still allow seat to swivel, where I work we regularly remove airbags from systems and use resistors and only have designation to do so if the whole seat is removed and the pyrotechnic device also removed.

Oddly, I asked the manufacturer of the swivel base if they had something like a latching connector that would work like this and they stated it wasn't something they had thought about. They actually stated that most people solve it with a resistor too! Thinking I just remove the swivel tbh because it's more pain than it's worth.

I’ve got my heated seat based on water proof quick connectors these are ok to use on airbag connectors

As well as getting the resistance correct, you also need to reset the fault as they are permanent.

Back