T6.1 oil level warning: Reduce Oil Level!

Rob. No need for oil change its a Software update. They need to reduce oil level then update. It's an oil expansion problem which VW know about.
I agree with your comments regarding the oil expansion issue noted above.

To highlight this and add some meat to the bones of your comment,
see chart below stating the Volumetric thermal expansion coefficients for some common liquids are indicated below.

Engine oil is stated, we will assume that most engine oil is within a very similar parameter as other brands and viscosity etc.

if the engine oil in an were at 18 degrees when the engine was not running (at ambient outside temp) the oil on the Dip stick should read somewhere between halfway within the cross hatch section and toward the lower end of the cross hatch Marked on the dipstick !

the oil will naturally expand when running at normal operating temps, let’s assume this is around 110 degrees C, the oil will of course expand somewhat:
but to no where near the extent that the expansion should affect oil sensors as suggested by the OP on face book!

assuming a sump volume of 7.5 litres of engine oil (sound familiar)
1000 litres = 1m3, so the 7.5 litres of oil in your sum is equivalent to 0.0075m3.

below is an illustration of 7.5 litres of engine oil (I.e. 0.0075m3) showing the expansion of the engine oil, that would take place, when the engine was at its upper running temp (110 degrees C i.e it had been working fairly hard)

The illustration shows the engine oil would expand by a maximum of 0.00048m3 or 480ml. or Approximately 6.5% by volume
(Assuming the temperature parameters are not exceeded this is the maximum effect on a full oil capacity whilst the engine is being used under fairly heavy strain)

for the reason stated above, (Expansion during use) is it recommended, that engine oil should be checked when the engine is at operating temp.

obviously this illustration does not take account of the distribution of oil throughout the engine block and power train system whilst the vehicle is running, which will naturally reduce the volume of oil in the sum, whilst the vehicle is running.
most of the oil will return to the sump a short time after the engine is turned off, which will become visually measurable on the dip stick.

It does not explain or give rationale why, during normal use, the coefficient of expansion could affect the oil to such an extent, whilst driving, that an “overfill“ warning would light up. (Unless the engine was severely overfilled in the first place? which I doubt would be the case for many?

see chart below stating the Volumetric thermal expansion coefficients for some common liquids are indicated below.

Engine oil is stated, we will assume that most engine oil is within a very similar parameter as other brands and viscosity etc.

if the engine oil in an were at 18 degrees when the engine was not running (at ambient outside temp) the oil on the Dip stick should read somewhere between halfway within the cross hatch section and toward the lower end of the cross hatch Marked on the dipstick !

the oil will naturally expand when running at normal operating temps, let’s assume this is around 110 degrees C, the oil will of course expand somewhat:
but to no where near the extent that the expansion should affect oil sensors as suggested by the OP on face book!

1000 litres = 1m3, so the 7.5 litres of oil in your sum is equivalent to 0.0075m3.

below is an illustration of 7.5 litres of engine oil (I.e. 0.0075m3) showing the expansion of the engine oil, that would take place, when the engine was at its upper running temp (110 degrees C i.e it had been working fairly hard)

The illustration shows the engine oil would expand by a maximum of 0.00048m3 or 480ml. or Approximately 6.5% by volume
(Assuming the temperature parameters are not exceeded this is the maximum effect on a full oil capacity whilst the engine is being used under fairly heavy strain)

for the reason stated above, (Expansion during use) is it recommended, that engine oil should be checked when the engine is at operating temp.

obviously this illustration does not take account of the distribution of oil throughout the engine block and power train system whilst the vehicle is running, which will naturally reduce the volume of oil in the sump, whilst the vehicle is running.
most of the oil will return to the sump a short time after the engine is turned off, which will become visually measurable on the dip stick.

the software update will help fix the issue, but oil level on a warm engine should be half way up the dipstick not to the top.

82E204B1-60E2-4E1C-B16E-BD8DBBF883CA.jpeg

6C933A74-D301-468C-B84D-DB413955100E.jpeg

obviously this illustration does not take account of the distribution of oil throughout the engine block and power train system whilst the vehicle is running, which will naturally reduce the volume of oil in the sum, whilst the vehicle is running.

It does not explain or give rationale why, during normal use, the coefficient of expansion could affect the oil to such an extent, whilst driving, that an “overfill“ warning would light up. (Unless the engine was severely overfilled in the first place? which I doubt would be the case for many?

obviously this illustration does not take account of the distribution of oil throughout the engine block and power train system whilst the vehicle is running, which will naturally reduce the volume of oil in the sump, whilst the vehicle is running.

the software update will help fix the issue, but oil level on a warm engine should be half way up the dipstick not to the top.

View attachment 176919

View attachment 176923

I already put that in thread #156 but with a few less words!
Synthetic engine oil roughly expands by 1% for each 10 degC rise. So from ambient of 20 degC to 100 degC operating temperature there is an 8% increase in volume.
8% of 7.4L = 0.592L.
The Transporter engines have a bigger oil volume than the average car.

I already put that in thread #156 but with a few less words!
Thanks for your unhelpful response, I didn’t know that posting a comprehensive & full explanation allowing others to fully understand the issue & cause of a potential fault / issue was not acceptable on this forum or one that warrants the sarcastic response you originally posted and then changed to the response to the one everyone can see now.

Here's my experience... Transporter 150ps - manual 4Mo - Highline roughly 9000 on the clock. Just returned from 7 weeks driving (fully loaded including a couple of bikes) in the French/Austrian/German and Italian Alps. Had the van serviced just before we went away. No probs 200 miles to Dover travelling at 70mph mostly. One day in.... travelling down through middle of France travelling at 80mph mostly.... PING.... you've got too much oil in the engine! Stopped checked the dip stick yep OK it's full of oil... but not over full. Started the engine... warning light has gone out. Computer glitch me thinks. Another 20 mins PING...

Had some French hassle trying to find someone to to take some oil out. Removed just over 50% of oil so now just below the middle of the dip stick. Drove on another 3000miles through the Alps and home. Really thrashed the van up some very high roads and passes. No further PINGS to date. Just a bit concered now having read this thred that there might be diesel in what's left of the oil. Maybe I should change it?

Checked back with my mechanic who thinks the engine might have done a 'regeneration' which might dump some fuel into the sump and bring the oil level 'over the top'. I'm thinking 'or filling it to the top mark on dip stick isn't a great idea'. I should have checked when it came back from its service.

I'm leaning towards volume and oil expansion at higher temps.

Here's my experience... Transporter 150ps - manual 4Mo - Highline roughly 9000 on the clock. Just returned from 7 weeks driving (fully loaded including a couple of bikes) in the French/Austrian/German and Italian Alps. Had the van serviced just before we went away. No probs 200 miles to Dover travelling at 70mph mostly. One day in.... travelling down through middle of France travelling at 80mph mostly.... PING.... you've got too much oil in the engine! Stopped checked the dip stick yep OK it's full of oil... but not over full. Started the engine... warning light has gone out. Computer glitch me thinks. Another 20 mins PING...

Had some French hassle trying to find someone to to take some oil out. Removed just over 50% of oil so now just below the middle of the dip stick. Drove on another 3000miles through the Alps and home. Really thrashed the van up some very high roads and passes. No further PINGS to date. Just a bit concered now having read this thred that there might be diesel in what's left of the oil. Maybe I should change it?

Checked back with my mechanic who thinks the engine might have done a 'regeneration' which might dump some fuel into the sump and bring the oil level 'over the top'. I'm thinking 'or filling it to the top mark on dip stick isn't a great idea'. I should have checked when it came back from its service.

Synthetic engine oil roughly expands by 1% for each 10 degC rise. So from ambient of 20 degC to 100 degC operating temperature there is an 8% increase in volume.
8% of 7.4L = 0.592L.
The Transporter engines have a bigger oil volume than the average car.
If in doubt change it, ideally get an oil analysis done beforehand and amongst other things it will reveal how much fuel dilution.
If you don’t have an oil analysis kit available just change it.

If in doubt change it, ideally get an oil analysis done beforehand and amongst other things it will reveal how much fuel dilution.
If you don’t have an oil analysis kit available just change it.

Exactly the same experiences;

Went back and forth with the main dealership.

They now only seem to fill to 70%(ish) as they are aware of the problem. Had been awaiting an update to reduce the Regen rate but appears to have never arrived as I presume that doesn’t meet their emissions guidelines.

Exactly the same experiences;

Went back and forth with the main dealership.

They now only seem to fill to 70%(ish) as they are aware of the problem. Had been awaiting an update to reduce the Regen rate but appears to have never arrived as I presume that doesn’t meet their emissions guidelines.
Exactly the same. Last complimentary oil service they gave me , they filled the oil upto 70% … I want to know if the oil is actually getting diluted. ..
my warning light came on whilst driving 5 hours to Scotland. So didn’t make sense as they say short journeys cause the issue .

Diesel fuel dilution criteria according to Miller:
2% by volume - caution.
4% by volume - failure.

4% of 7.4L = 296mL. Safe to say that oil is being diluted beyond recognised safe limits and causing accelerated engine wear.

IMG_2902.jpeg

Diesel fuel dilution criteria according to Miller:
2% by volume - caution.
4% by volume - failure.

4% of 7.4L = 296mL. Safe to say that oil is being diluted beyond recognised safe limits and causing accelerated engine wear.

View attachment 204081
This is great, I’m going to show vw this as they said mine was around 500ml over it should be

Don’t worry, it’ll be sorted with the T7(?) when Ford do the engines :p
Not worried at all, I have a 2016 Euro 5 CFCA (so called oil burning nightmare?), the oil level never changes between oil changes and oil analysis shows Nil everytime.

Lose the Dpf as it will always regen and unless your driving until its completed the cycle it WILL always drop diesel on top of pistons which drains down into the oil ? Therefore changing viscosity? The transit euro6 engine does the same but unfortunately they use a wet cam belt so the diesel degrades the belt and snap" dpf delete is the only way to stop diesel contamination? I did mine from new ✨️ and I did ad blue and egr ! All the crap out of the way , like a breath of fresh air " like giving your transporter a pack of tunes menthol sweets" breath more easily.

A lot of engines do the exact same thing as transporters and transit euro6 ? But I can guarantee a Mercedes sprinter doesn't!! Different method of bringing dpf up to temperature .

A lot of engines do the exact same thing as transporters and transit euro6 ? But I can guarantee a Mercedes sprinter doesn't!! Different method of bringing dpf up to temperature .
An oxygen injection would be a very quick re-generation! That would require a stainless steel exhaust and that’s added cost to VW.
Joking aside given how much power output the alternator is capable of it should have been possible to burn off the soot with a replaceable resistive element in the DPF.

Mercedes don't fire fuel in like no tomorrow to bring dpf up to temperature its longer regen cycle but better ! Never heard of one sprinter to have diesel in the oil ? But then again there miles ahead of vw mechanics and software ?

Mercedes don't fire fuel in like no tomorrow to bring dpf up to temperature its longer regen cycle but better ! Never heard of one sprinter to have diesel in the oil ? But then again there miles ahead of vw mechanics and software ?
I think read somewhere that Mercedes restrict the throttle valve so that unburnt fuel enters the exhaust and that raises the exhaust temperature. Like I said I’m not sure on that.

Back