T6.1 new order delays

And, just to add insult to injury, in the last hour I've received a wonderfully upbeat email from Volkswagen Commercials with a subject line that urges me to "Get out and about this summer."

I would have done, if only they'd pulled out their fingers and built my freaking van. I dread to think what the delays are going to be like with Multivans and ID Buzzs.

And, just to add insult to injury, in the last hour I've received a wonderfully upbeat email from Volkswagen Commercials with a subject line that urges me to "Get out and about this summer."

I would have done, if only they'd have pulled out their fingers and built my freaking van. I dread to think what the delays are going to be like with Multivans and ID Buzzs.
Do you think they'll clear the T6.1 order back-log before shipping the Multivan, or do you think we'll end up behind them in the pecking order?

Do you think they'll clear the T6.1 order back-log before shipping the Multivan, or do you think we'll end up behind them in the pecking order?
@Bav It's hard to say. VW have stated that they'll need to retool the Hanover factory to accommodate EV assembly. As T6.1 Transporters and Kombis are currently being built there, it suggests to me that they'll be anxious to cease production of the T6.1 as soon as they can so they can get on and produce IDBuzzs and Multivans in Hanover. To facilitate this, I'm guessing that they'll be working with Ford to bring the Turkish plant onstream with the next generation Transit and Transporter medium vans as soon as they can next year. I'm speculating, but I feel they'll announce that they'll not be accepting any more orders for T6.1s later this year or in early 2023.

@Bav It's hard to say. VW have stated that they'll need to retool the Hanover factory to accommodate EV assembly. As T6.1 Transporters and Kombis are currently being built there, it suggests to me that they'll be anxious to cease production of the T6.1 as soon as they can so they can get on and produce IDBuzzs and Multivans in Hanover. To facilitate this, I'm guessing that they'll be working with Ford to bring the Turkish plant onstream with the next generation Transit and Transporter medium vans as soon as they can next year. I'm speculating, but I feel they'll announce that they'll not be accepting any more orders for T6.1s later this year or in early 2023.
My fear is that they go further and cancel existing orders for the T6.1 in order to make way for Multivan production. Hopefully I'm just scaremongering!

Multivan isn’t replacing anything (well it’s already replaced the Caravelle) and there’s more than one production line

My fear is that they go further and cancel existing orders for the T6.1 in order to make way for Multivan production. Hopefully I'm just scaremongering!
I hope this isn’t the case !! I’m concerned that having ordered through a broker last month and with dealers seemingly having limited allocation slots per year that I could be waiting months and months to be told “ sorry no more T6.1 are being built” the fact is I haven’t got a clue If I’ve even got a allocation!!! Been wanting a transporter for years and now I’m in a position to purchase one it has to be the worse time in history to actually buy one , not only the crazy waits but these damn prices increases too.!!

I would have done, if only they'd pulled out their fingers and built my freaking van. I dread to think what the delays are going to be like with Multivans and ID Buzzs.
Just received the same email. :mad:

I must be a glutton for punishment as I'm still waiting for my Transporter Sportline and have already placed an order for the ID Buzz Cargo. I reckon the Buzz will turn up about 6 months after i get the Transporter and then I'll have a tough decision to make as to which one I keep long term. I can afford a few months overlap but thats about it.

I must be a glutton for punishment as I'm still waiting for my Transporter Sportline and have already placed an order for the ID Buzz Cargo. I reckon the Buzz will turn up about 6 months after i get the Transporter and then I'll have a tough decision to make as to which one I keep long term. I can afford a few months overlap but thats about it.
I have been thinking the same but need to wait for the lwb to be released. Are you using them for work?

What’s the cost of an ID Buzz Cargo?

I have been thinking the same but need to wait for the lwb to be released. Are you using them for work?
I will be, I've got a 2019 SWB Caddy at the moment which I use for work, I live in Brighton but work in Milton Keynes and the size of the Transporter may work out to be too big for me, I generally only have a few surveying bits in the back so it's like driving a large cube of air up and down the motorway each week.

What’s the cost of an ID Buzz Cargo?

Pretty much everything is an extra on the Buzz Cargo. I've pasted the prices below, I've taken the £46.6k or £51.7k as the price (ignoring the PiVG grant possibility for now).

There is a massive extras list and the paint choices aren't that inspiring. I think I've managed to add about £7k in options to mine and that's for a white van, if I wanted it painted two tone I'd have been closer to £9k in options.

1661528603133.png
The brochure the dealer sent does say the price could possibly come down if the van ends up being eligible for the plug in van grant (see end column of the pasted table). I've just checked the Governmenr website and it doed say that the VW ABT e-Transporter is eligible for the grant so I'd have though that would be the case for thgis van too. Whether VW actually deliver the van before the rules get changed is probably a different matter

4 The Plug-in Van Grant (PIVG) is a grant currently offered by the Office for Zero emission Vehicles (OZEV) to eligible manufacturers to promote the purchase of ultra low emission vehicles. The ID. Buzz Cargo is currently pending eligibility approval for this scheme. If the ID. Buzz Cargo becomes eligible for the PiVG, then customers purchasing an ID. Buzz Cargo will receive 35% off the purchase price, up to a maximum of £5,000 (subject to an overall limit of 1000 van or truck grants per business or organisation, across all manufacturers, each year being 1 April – 31 March. The £5,000 grant has already been deducted from the ‘Total RRP inc. OTR inc. VAT inc. Plug-in Van Grant (eligibility pending) price shown (and therefore the recommended ‘On the road’ price will increase in the event that grant funding is ultimately not applicable, withdrawn, or eligibility for the grant or the grant amount changes, for any reason, or the annual limit is exceeded). Your authorised Volkswagen Van Centre will submit the details of your order online in order to claim the grant funding. The grant is subject to full T&Cs and eligibility requirements. For more information, please contact your authorised Volkswagen Van Centre or visit www.gov.uk/plug-in-car-van-grants/overview. The Government Plug-in Van Grant (PIVG) is applicable to UK sales only (excludes the Channel Islands or Isle of Man). Vehicle eligibility and grant figure correct as at 25.07.2022.

Last edited:
When did you order your Sportline? I ordered mine 28/06/2021.
Status 10 build week sept 12-18. Expecting it to be pushed back. LWB pure grey with only the bigger fuel tank as extra option.
Would like an id Buzz LWB cargo instead now though

Just saw the first T7 multivan around the corner from me. I would expect far more electronics I. It than a T6.1. Just past the 19 months now and still np idea when

Just saw the first T7 multivan around the corner from me. I would expect far more electronics I. It than a T6.1. Just past the 19 months now and still np idea when
That's an interesting point you make about the T7 - if it's got a lot more electronics (which, I agree, you would expect it to have), then it'll need more microchips than a T6.1 does, so that might mean even longer delays for T7s than we already experience for T6.1s. Unless, of course, VW are already starving T6.1 production of 'chips, in order to facilitate T7 production... :oops:

When did you order your Sportline? I ordered mine 28/06/2021.
Status 10 build week sept 12-18. Expecting it to be pushed back. LWB pure grey with only the bigger fuel tank as extra option.
Would like an id Buzz LWB cargo instead now though
I ordered my Sportline in Nov 21 from JCB Crawley

Back