T6.1 LED high beam signal feed for auxiliary lights (led bar)?

Petro

Pure grey T6.1 Transporter 4Motion 150hp
T6 Guru
In the old T6 you could get the feed for auxiliary lights from the LED's and probably halogen too from the wiring harness behind headlight unit. However, the T6.1 has much fewer wires coming to the LED headlight. Anyone know can you get the feed from one of these, or how is it done on the T6.1?

Seen this?

Looks like its CAN BUS right up to the lamp units....

So maybe can bus decoder to trigger a relay,

Or separate switch?

Or something else?

What light bar you looking to get...?

Already have the lazer linear elite 18, was planning mounting it inside the lower grille just above the license plate holder.

Seen this?

Looks like its CAN BUS right up to the lamp units....

So maybe can bus decoder to trigger a relay,

Or separate switch?

Or something else?
Just checked it. Unfortunately looking schematics like that is like decoding hieroglyphs to me, haven't worked with electrical drawings.

OK. Well the hieroglyphs tell me that there is no way to tap the signal at the headlight like you normally would.

So until another solution is found or a specific CAN BUS decoder is produced . . . . The only way is a separate switch in the cab.

This is due to a new design on how the lights are controlled.... the light controller looks to be integral with just power and data being fed to the lamp units.

OK. Well the hieroglyphs tell me that there is no way to tap the signal at the headlight like you normally would.

So until another solution is found or a specific CAN BUS decoder is produced . . . . The only way is a separate switch in the cab.

This is due to a new design on how the lights are controlled.... the light controller looks to be integral with just power and data being fed to the lamp units.
This is probably the case, I'll check if i have any luck with the XBB but probably wont. Might need to get a CANM8 to find a signal to as normal relay.

Yep.. these guys may have something....

As @Dellmassive figured, you have to get signal from CAN, contacted a local auxiliary light resupplier and installer, and he sent me this. This is the installation guide for Canm8 Cannect for T6.1. Usually you get this after you've purchased the reader and scanned the QR code.

Attachments

• VW T6.1 2020-.pdf
    613.4 KB · Views: 128
There's mention of a CAN interface here.

In addition to the installation location and option mentioned in the .pdf I linked in my previous message I learned that you should also get the Can HI and Can LOW info from wires from BCM.

If the info was right and I understood right, there should be a white connector to BCM, and from that loom you get the Can HI and LOW inputs.
The wire colors should be GREEN for Can HI, and ORANGE-BROWN for Can LOW.

If anyone gets their hands on BCM wire diagrams they could confirm this or correct me. Im not too confident with electrical work, and I have some wiring to take through the bulkhead anyway and some extra wires to connect to BCM so I'm going to take the van to an electrician and do these with a person who knows for a fact what they're doing. I will hopefully remember to take some photos of the operations and follow up when I have things up and running.

The van has Numerous CAN and LIN busses, . . . you need to connect to the correct CAN bus and at the correct way round.

your document above . . . says us the yellow/black at the cliamte panel.

1611005375021.png

the Glifs say that the LED light unit MX1 is controlled via CAN L/H (white/green)/(green/yellow)

which comes from the J431 (Headlight range control unit)

the J431 is fed from the main CAN L/H (orng/brwn)/(orng/grey) - (B788 dashpanel insert CAN L) and (B619)

So there is various CAN/LIN conections in the system.

its best to follow the guide that come with the module.

The module will give you a switched 12v feed that can be used to trigger a 12v relay, that will in tern power your light units.

if in any doubts about any of this get an auto electrician or Car stereo installer to fit it all for you.

print these schematics out and give them to the installer . . .l

it shows all the connections . .

Yea the guy I talked today owns a shop which primarily sells auto electrical equipment, probably 90% of them being auxiliary lights. These guys install them too, and they have tons of experience. I got such a good quote for the price of installing the CAN unit and bringing the feed wire next to the battery I'm going to take it and and while we're at it I'm gonna have the retrofit fog light wires get plugged to the BCM and pull the leisure battery charge cable next to the battery as well.

I feel like I could do these, as usual I tend to do some research and do things on my own when not mission critical or overly complex, but since I haven't done these before its just nice to have someone to show you around. Usually the expertness shows when you encounter a problem and know how to diagnose it and know how to fix it, and this is where I'm frankly not too confident about my knowledge of the subject..

So today we connected the CanM8 Cannect- reader to BCM. As said before, the CAN-HI was taken from BCM. Its was the green wire. the CAN-LOW was orange.
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-01 at 20.43.14.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-02-01 at 20.46.06.jpeg

Pulled the feed wire next to the battery from behind the battery, there are 2 grommets in a perfect location for this on LHD T6.1
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-01 at 20.50.22.jpeg

The T6.1 OEM LED's are Can controlled, so the power output is too low for regular relays to detect. The Canm8 cannect produces a solid feed that you can take into a normal relay and it works just fine.

Hey all, I’m about to install a light bar on my T6.1 and a guy helping with a fit out has wired all but the high beam as he didn’t get to finding the right plug.

Apparently the T6.1 needs a piggy back from the high beam… I believe legally in Aus they need to run with the high beam…

Anyway, I’ve managed to find this which is for an Amarok… VW Amarok Headlight Piggy Back Adaptor

Wondering if anyone can tell me if that will also work for the T6.1 please?

Or should I just hook it to the battery now that the relay, etc is fitted?

Thank you!

That is unlikely to work as it's just taking a main beam feed off the headlight plug. The Amarok has either halogen or xenon headlights, which uses a stable 12V at the lamps. LED headlights are powered from the BCM, so not direct, old fashioned wiring that we all understand.

That is unlikely to work as it's just taking a main beam feed off the headlight plug. The Amarok has either halogen or xenon headlights, which uses a stable 12V at the lamps. LED headlights are powered from the BCM, so not direct, old fashioned wiring that we all understand.
Thanks for the reply.

I see, so is my best course of action to bypass linking to highbeam and have it as an independent switch?

That would be the easiest way, but surely you'd want it to be switched with main beam?

I'd give Nick Grist a call (link in post #5) They are very helpful and know their stuff.

+++

The T6.1 LED - has CAN right to the Headlamp unit. + power and ground.

+++

The T6.1 H7 Halogen - has more traditional wire connections.

+++

Thanks @dubber36 and @Dellmassive.

I have no idea what I’m looking at with diagrams, could learn if I really need to.

But if the Stedi Amarok piggyback fits, looks like it would, what is the worst thing that would happen electronically? With testing for $30?

Cheers!

Back