T6.1 Headlight DRL / sidelight difference

cmx32

Hi,

Am nearing completion of a t5.1 to t6.1 facelift. All going well but unsure how the new headlights are ment to work, in imagine not like mine are currently.

I have attached photos of the light switch and then photos of the bulb that’s lit up for reference.

Am I right in thinking the ‘sidelights’ are not working? Or are the sidelights acting as drl instead?

When the switch is on the sidelight setting I get no light at all?

Can anyone advise further?

Many thanks

8AEFF64E-5780-4D25-A8FB-53DF371ADAED.jpeg

76B24453-62BA-40FF-86C8-3C4E8880637D.jpeg

B37A6423-7ECC-4FE6-A8B5-2120F9959331.jpeg

980230AB-1A8C-41A4-846C-FB8CA468FC24.jpeg

Hi, thanks for reply. Yeah I made that thread, but no replies. I’m hoping it is just a case of needing a diode, but I have heard a few people have plugged t6.1 lights into a t5.1 with no modifications at all, which seems strange

Per wiring diagram T6.1 headlights have no dedicated side light bulb (pin 10 empty on T6.1) - instead dimmed DRL acts as side light.
See the linked wiring diagrams here:

You could redirect T5.1 side light feed (pin 10) via diode to T6.1 DRL feed (pin 4) as suggested in

Per wiring diagram T6.1 headlights have no dedicated side light bulb (pin 10 empty on T6.1) - instead dimmed DRL acts as side light.
See the linked wiring diagrams here:

You could redirect T5.1 side light feed (pin 10) via diode to T6.1 DRL feed (pin 4) as suggested in
That makes perfect sense! Thanks. Don’t suppose you’d have any idea on what diode to use at all?

Reactions: mmi
any idea on what diode to use at all?
Any diode with minimum current rating 2 Amps. E.g. 1N5400 (3A/50V) - according to datasheet has forward voltage drop of 1V thus would "dim" the side light.

Hi,

Am nearing completion of a t5.1 to t6.1 facelift. All going well but unsure how the new headlights are ment to work, in imagine not like mine are currently.

I have attached photos of the light switch and then photos of the bulb that’s lit up for reference.

Am I right in thinking the ‘sidelights’ are not working? Or are the sidelights acting as drl instead?

When the switch is on the sidelight setting I get no light at all?

Can anyone advise further?

Many thanks

View attachment 189400

View attachment 189401

View attachment 189402

View attachment 189403
Hiya mate did the diodes sort it I'm having the same issue but have installed them, also 6.1 gen rear light an everything's playing up no sidelights I have seem them working but now nothing cheers

If you installed diodes and they worked briefly, check your diodes. It may be they did not have sufficient current rating and failed?

Yep, in fact on many multimeters that setting may be marked with the diode symbol as it used to test diodes.

You'll need to take the diode out of the circuit but it should conduct one way but not the other.

Back