T6.1 Front PDC Sensor Retrofit

dj_

Australian Member
T6 Pro
Hi all. I've tried searching and reading lots of threads but I'm quite confused and unsure what would apply to my situation as I've already got the rear sensors.

I have a T6.1 that came with standard rear sensors and a standard radio/screen - not the fancy bigger screen (attached screenshot). My van has the black plastic bumpers like the image attached.

I drive in tight spaces in the city often for work and I’d love to have front sensors.

This is the kit I found that I think applies to my needs - VW Transporter T6.1 - Park Pilot Front w. OPS - UPGRADE KIT - 2JB standard bumper

Would someone be able to help me by explaining if this kit in the link above is what I need, and what kind of work is needed to add the sensors?

I'm sure I can figure out how to remove the bumper (saw some YouTube videos looks pretty straightforward) but I've never opened up a dashboard and that part sounds a little daunting. Rattles and squeaks really annoy me and I'd hate to introduce one when I do something like this.

I've got a decent tool set and got a trim tool kit, and I'm very good at following instructions if anyone can help.

Thanks!!
Diego

P.S. I've reached out to that website in the link above last week but they haven't gotten back to me

Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 8.57.11 am.png
6E74A1BC-08A4-4FB6-9443-C33AFBF04D44_1_201_a.jpeg

Hi, I'm just about to fit some front sensors to a T6.1 OEM from Vagtech. They havent sent any wiring instructions at all. I've called them but arn't helpful at all. Have any of you installed a set and know what wire goes where ect?

Cheers!

I have done front upgrades on T6 and T6.1 (also park assist on 6.1) and its not a crazy difficult job
Theres no coding required as its a replacement control module so not overly technical, if you are happy removing the front bumper and some dash trims etc etc then its doable as a DIY job

The main point to consider is if you have a startline/van with one piece bumpers then you will need to make the holes for the sensors yourself, the kit linked above just comes with the sensors and sticky back sensor mounts to fix them with but the holes required are not round, the sensor points are marked on the back of the bumper with a vague outline and a cross at the centre point so getting the correct location is not difficult but getting the correct size/shape hole takes a bit of time and patience

If you have trendline/highline painted bumpers with then there are alternative kits that are slightly more expensive but come with replacement panels with the sensors already mounted in them so its just a case of installing the wiring and swapping the bumper trims

Its worth mentioning if you are going down this road then there is always the option of the front upgrade/park assist kit which has an extra couple sensors front and rear with an upgraded module and the van will park itself, useless feature but pretty cool when your in show off mode with your mates/mrs/kids

Reactions: mmi
Its worth mentioning if you are going down this road then there is always the option of the front upgrade/park assist kit which has an extra couple sensors front and rear with an upgraded module and the van will park itself, useless feature but pretty cool when your in show off mode with your mates/mrs/kids
Does the Park Assist require VCDS/OBD11 coding once this kit is installed? I've seen a PA retrofit kit from KufaTec that includes a blue coding dongle as well but this kit states they don't supply coding.

if you already have parking sensors then you are just removing your 4k or 8k module and fitting a 12k (12 sensors) module but if I’m honest I can’t remember 100 % if any other settings need to be changed to let other modules know the parking system is installed, may need 1 or 2 tickboxes changed in steering module etc ?

I have done front upgrades on T6 and T6.1 (also park assist on 6.1) and its not a crazy difficult job
Theres no coding required as its a replacement control module so not overly technical, if you are happy removing the front bumper and some dash trims etc etc then its doable as a DIY job

The main point to consider is if you have a startline/van with one piece bumpers then you will need to make the holes for the sensors yourself, the kit linked above just comes with the sensors and sticky back sensor mounts to fix them with but the holes required are not round, the sensor points are marked on the back of the bumper with a vague outline and a cross at the centre point so getting the correct location is not difficult but getting the correct size/shape hole takes a bit of time and patience

If you have trendline/highline painted bumpers with then there are alternative kits that are slightly more expensive but come with replacement panels with the sensors already mounted in them so its just a case of installing the wiring and swapping the bumper trims

Hi Pauly,
You seem to be the man who can answer this one :)
I've got on my T6.1 4M 2022, the rear sensors not the front ones.
My dash has the Digital Cockpit and Discover Media Navigation / so the fancier one so to say (pics attached)...

Question is: for this setup do I need also the control unit from this Kit bellow?, or just the sensors cabling etc...but the control unit is not necessary.

any other kit suggestion is welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Lucian/ Perth Australia

Dash T6.1 LDU.jpg

Dash T6.1 LDU Reverse.jpg

Dash/headunit is not really relevant to this retrofit as they all work the same and just display the relevant image/info

You will need to replace the control unit with the appropriate one, they are normally labelled parkhilfe 4k or 8k or 12k and that number represents the amount of sensors fitted to the vehicle rear only = 4 front and rear = 8 and full park assist = 12

Hi Pauly,
You seem to be the man who can answer this one :)
I've got on my T6.1 4M 2022, the rear sensors not the front ones.
My dash has the Digital Cockpit and Discover Media Navigation / so the fancier one so to say (pics attached)...

Question is: for this setup do I need also the control unit from this Kit bellow?, or just the sensors cabling etc...but the control unit is not necessary.

any other kit suggestion is welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Lucian/ Perth Australia
That kit looks ok for a startline van ie a van with the basic all black one piece bumper, if you have a higher model with painted bumpers then look for a kit that includes the replacement panels as these come ready to fit with the holes and sensors mounts in situ just need to wire and fit

@Pauly would you happen to know the part number for the 2 side pla front and rear sensors please? I’ve got the 298 module in and extra wiring for the four sensors but having trouble finding the correct side sensors. Many thanks in advance

Back