T6.1 fog light fitting. Am I being really thick?!

CSPhoto

Attempting to swap my startline bumpers with highline. Got a colour matched front with fog light and parking sensor holes. To save the expense of retrofitting front fogs I've just fixed in some amazon ones that aren't connected so it looks right. Fog lights I got a kit from travelin lite, only problem is I can't for the life of me figure out how the lights attach to the lower trim on the front bumper. There just don't seem to be any obvious attachment points!

Attempting to swap my startline bumpers with highline. Got a colour matched front with fog light and parking sensor holes. To save the expense of retrofitting front fogs I've just fixed in some amazon ones that aren't connected so it looks right. Fog lights I got a kit from travelin lite, only problem is I can't for the life of me figure out how the lights attach to the lower trim on the front bumper. There just don't seem to be any obvious attachment points!

You may run into issues with a UK MOT if they don’t operate.

From the website;

Front fog lamps that are not wired up and do not have a corresponding switch are not required to work. If you are not sure that they’re connected, you should give the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: DXX

From the website;

Front fog lamps that are not wired up and do not have a corresponding switch are not required to work. If you are not sure that they’re connected, you should give the benefit of the doubt.
The challenge there may be if there is a standard switch already in the van with a fog light option how the tester interprets the twin condition of "not wired up and no switch"

Probably one to be up front with and note it to the tester at the start. I had the same issue with a reversing light on an old kit car and always managed to have it noted as an observation rather than an issue.

Thanks for the heads up, took the old bumper off and realised there's another trim panel on each side which houses the fogs/blank. I'll need to dremel that out before getting the fogs in anyway so
The challenge there may be if there is a standard switch already in the van with a fog light option how the tester interprets the twin condition of "not wired up and no switch"

Probably one to be up front with and note it to the tester at the start. I had the same issue with a reversing light on an old kit car and always managed to have it noted as an observation rather than an issue.

Interesting stuff, thanks for the heads up! I figured out there was an extra trim panel behind my startline bumper that the foggies go into and fits straight on my highline one. Only issue now is the hole in the back trim panel is blanked off so I need tj take a dremel to it to get it done properly.

For the time being I'll leave them blanked, send the foggies back and get some nice seat covers. Will likely swap to a gloss lower trim and have to put foggies in for aesthetics but I might well just buy the lights and no loom. The aftermarket kit has a rocker switch you install, no front fog position on the van at the moment

If you are buying VW (valeo) fog lights I would advise sealing around the joint between the lens and body with some adhesive / sealant (not silicone) as they let water in!
Like many other T6 parts that are supposed to keep the water out.

@CSPhoto Im looking at installing front fogs in my T6.1 camper (Startline model). When I bought it a spoiler had been added and has blanks where the fogs go. Is the wiring already in place for fitting the fogs both at the front and also at the switch on the dash for the new controller? Any help would be appreciated.

@CSPhoto Im looking at installing front fogs in my T6.1 camper (Startline model). When I bought it a spoiler had been added and has blanks where the fogs go. Is the wiring already in place for fitting the fogs both at the front and also at the switch on the dash for the new controller? Any help would be appreciated.
There won’t be any wiring. I’m in the same boat as you with a startline but mine is a T6 not T6.1.
I’m about to fit a fog light kit in my sportsline front skirt on my startline front bumper.
I’ve attached the kit I bought for the T6. I’d imagine that there will be a very similar kit for the T6.1.
The kit includes everything you need. The lights, upgraded bulbs, wiring loom, plastic bumper inserts and a new light knob for the dash.
Note the bumper needs removal for fitting.

There won’t be any wiring. I’m in the same boat as you with a startline but mine is a T6 not T6.1.
I’m about to fit a fog light kit in my sportsline front skirt on my startline front bumper.
I’ve attached the kit I bought for the T6. I’d imagine that there will be a very similar kit for the T6.1.
The kit includes everything you need. The lights, upgraded bulbs, wiring loom, plastic bumper inserts and a new light knob for the dash.
Note the bumper needs removal for fitting.
Excellent, many thanks!!

If you are buying VW (valeo) fog lights I would advise sealing around the joint between the lens and body with some adhesive / sealant (not silicone) as they let water in!
Like many other T6 parts that are supposed to keep the water out.
Hi @DXX , I'm cheating, as I do, and have Professional Retrofits performing an operation on my 6.1 Startline on 9th January, front face-lift nip and tuck etc... I have bought Valeo fogs, what sealant/adhesive would you recommend to 'waterproof 'said Valeos? I'm sure I can cope with doing that!
Thanking you!

Hi @DXX , I'm cheating, as I do, and have Professional Retrofits performing an operation on my 6.1 Startline on 9th January, front face-lift nip and tuck etc... I have bought Valeo fogs, what sealant/adhesive would you recommend to 'waterproof 'said Valeos? I'm sure I can cope with doing that!
Thanking you!
I’m going to seal mine with clear stixall Wayne.
It’s a polymer rather than silicone.
I use it a lot at work. It’s like CT1 but half the price.
You can seal underwater with this stuff.

Back