T6.1 DSG Engine Cut Out

MikeRichards389

VIP Member
Hi all

Apologies if this is something that has already been covered. My engine has cut out twice in the last week when slowing down and coming to a junction. I’ve had to manually Re start it quickly to get going again. It’s a 150 DSG, only done 8k miles and always used premium fuel. Any ideas guys?

Stop/start kicking in?

Or something else?. Can you be more specific......with more details.

Whats the van spec?

T6.1 So still in warranty.

I’ve had this problem on my old van and I can tell you it is frightening!It’s happened four times within a month and luckily we were able to return the van for a refund! The dealers denied it was a common fault but seems it is

Last edited:
Stop/start kicking in?

Or something else?. Can you be more specific......with more details.

Whats the van spec?

T6.1 So still in warranty.
Start/Stop is working fine. This has happened when slowing down to go over a speed bump at around 15-20mph and again coming to a junction today. Had to stop and manually turn ignition. No warning lights showing.

As you’ve got a DSG I’m surprised it’s happening as all the other cases I think were manual but always when coming to a roundabout or slowing down. I was told I wasn’t used to driving a diesel. FFS!

It’s only happened twice so far, don’t think I could recreate it. Will keep a close eye on it and take it back if it continues.

I had a new T5 and it used to cut out for no reason , but some times it would run fine for weeks. Took it back to the dealer and left it with them, They said it was the EC unit. Picked it up went 50km and it cut out again. Finale got it back to work , I puled the air box out and found a wire was so tight going into a plug that it was pulling the connector out . I lengthened the wire and had no more problems. So get them to pull and tug on the wires when its running and see if it cuts out. Good luck

I had a new T5 and it used to cut out for no reason , but some times it would run fine for weeks. Took it back to the dealer and left it with them, They said it was the EC unit. Picked it up went 50km and it cut out again. Finale got it back to work , I puled the air box out and found a wire was so tight going into a plug that it was pulling the connector out . I lengthened the wire and had no more problems. So get them to pull and tug on the wires when its running and see if it cuts out. Good luck

Glad you got it sorted but surely if the engine cuts out because the plug has become loose, he won’t be able to restart it unless he reconnects the plug first?

I’ve had this problem on my old van and I can tell you it is frightening!It’s happened four times within a month and luckily we were able to return the van for a refund! The dealers denied it was a common fault but seems it is

When I first got my van I had a few scary moments, disabling the Stop/Start as soon as I start the engine has ‘fixed’ this. I don’t imagine VW will ever admit there is an issue.

It was just pulling out a bit to break the connection It could of been heat expansion or movement that caused it . It may be a completely different cause but its worth a look.
Not the plug but the wire going into the plug was pulling out.

So, my T6.1 with 9,000 miles suddenly went in to limp mode on the M4 this evening.
See my new thread on the matter

Last edited by a moderator:
Back