T6.1 break down

MikeRichards389

VIP Member
So, my T6.1 with 9,000 miles suddenly went in to limp mode on the M4 this evening on and I had to call VW Assist. They sent a recovery agent to get me home and I need to wait for a VW technician. I had the attached yellow symbols appear. Manual says they are Glow Plug/Engine Management System and Emmisons relevant fault. Always used premium grade fuel. Any ideas, thanks?

5F0BACF8-0621-4587-A1A2-72947E1C137C.jpeg

8F0C2EDD-51AD-4B0B-BD68-D61C46F36170.jpeg

8EBCA6EB-080D-47D0-952A-1DA86C459687.jpeg

did you try just switching off and restarting?

Yes a few times and it didn’t rectify it. Just been out and it seems fine. Was a bit frightening losing power going on to a motorway. Waiting for VW Assist now.

It’s gutting, seeing your pride and joy, on a flatbed. Fortunately it’s under warranty, so fingers crossed, they get it sorted for you. Good luck, and keep us posted on the outcome

Also good luck at the dealer if the aa bloke has cleared the memory that wasnt helpful

A weird one I've had happen twice - Audi A4 90 TDI and Passat 130 TDI - is the catalyst breaking up internally. The bits eventually form a ball that can roll around in the cat canister. When you hit the pedal the inertia rolls the ball back to block the exhaust. Car goes into limp. Pull over, ball rolls forward, turn it off and on again and drive slowly until you have a reasonable safe speed and then just go easy on the brakes and accelerator until you can safely put the heavy boot on and see if it happens again.

I also had another one in the A4 where the boost pipe between the turbo and the inlet manifold had a tiny split. When you revved hard the car went into limp. Just before it went into limp you could hear the leak if you had the bonnet open - in mine it quacked like a duck.

All 3 cases, 15 years ago, it was high pressure faults recorded. Basically between the MAF and the tailpipe everything gets very hot so the only sensors were the MAF and the lambda sensor so interpreting them meant it was something affecting the suck in the front or the blow out the back. Diagnosis ranged from buggered turbo to cracked manifolds. It was a wily old mechanic that told me he thought it was the cat. One cat replaced by Audi and one by 3rd party HiQ because Passat was out of warranty

If it is the cat, it could be shattered internally - which can happen when its lovely and hot but then gets suddenly drenched by a deep puddle. That may not be a clear cut warranty repair if the can is dented and it looks like 'abuse' rather than 'defect'.

.... or, as is most likely, it could be a dodgy sensor :)

Thanks for your reply. VW have looked at the vehicle this week and unfortunately no fault codes appeared after AA had cleared them. However, they say they found a VW bulletin about the Fuel Pressure Sensor and have changed it. Let’s hold that is all it was.

See my other thread for cutout problems

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, also have a 2019 T6.1 which seems to have lots going on at the mo, fault codes, power steering failure, dual mass fly wheel fault it goes on....

286EAD99-EBF9-48F9-881B-BC93C99E6D55.jpeg
Only had it about 4 weeks and of those could only drive it for 1, at an absolute loss with this thing now and think it’ll be sent back to the dealership

Back