T6.1 150 DSG Engine cut out on motorway [Resolved]

Rowls1958

My MY20 T6.1 150 DSG cut out twice yesterday on the motorway. I was travelling about 70mph when it just cut out without warning, a warning message advised to 'restart engine manually'. Obviously I couldn't restart whilst moving as would have to select 'Park'. It was very scary trying to get to the hard shoulder....... My local VW Van Centre has said they can't get the van in for 3 weeks !!! No help offered at all ?
1. Does anyone know of this problem ?
2. What are my rights ? I do not want to drive it as it is as it's dangerous. Should VW provide a replacement vehicle whilst I'm waiting ? It's still within the standard warranty although I do have the extended 5 year warranty.
Thanks

My MY20 T6.1 150 DSG cut out twice yesterday on the motorway. I was travelling about 70mph when it just cut out without warning, a warning message advised to 'restart engine manually'. Obviously I couldn't restart whilst moving as would have to select 'Park'. It was very scary trying to get to the hard shoulder....... My local VW Van Centre has said they can't get the van in for 3 weeks !!! No help offered at all ?
1. Does anyone know of this problem ?
2. What are my rights ? I do not want to drive it as it is as it's dangerous. Should VW provide a replacement vehicle whilst I'm waiting ? It's still within the standard warranty although I do have the extended 5 year warranty.
Thanks
You need to ring VW Assist they will send out a techie or have it sorted at a dealers much quicker.

As above callout VW assist.

Make sure you ask for a silver van VW guy.

And NOT a yellow AA guy.

They are normally on a 4hr response.

Good news all sorted - I insisted on a VW technician but call handler really really didn't want to send one, only an AA patrol. I had to threaten her with the safety side of things and only then did she relent !! Fuel valve sensor gone - VW techie gone to get new one - result !!! Thanks everyone.
That’s great news and shows how this forum helps everyone.

I was advised always to go via VW Assist as they can book it in to the dealership as a priority if need be. They were always very helpful.

Good result, at least you have electric power steering, remember you can use neutral to restart it.

Ah thanks, so if it cuts out I can put it in neutral and turn the key off and then back on ?
Yes, but not out(steering lock), just crank. You do have to have your wits about you though, personally, I would still get over to the hard shoulder.

Back