T6.1 DSG Driving Position Issue

Dropped my van for the 11th time to the dealership to try fix the creaky seat, this time they gave me a t6.1 to drive, it was the first thing I noticed about the van, it’s so annoying that I just want my van back even with the creaky seat. Hard to understand how did that pass design phase.

My T6 is the first vehicle I’ve had that I don’t use the footrest in, my foot just seems to go down vertically just in front of the seat. I have tried to use the footrest but it just seems that little bit too far away and I have to stretch to reach it.

I noticed the lack of a footrest for the first week or so. No I dont even think og it unless I read threads like this. Causes no problems for me.

I also find it strange but getting used to it. Would be nice if there’s something that can be bolted on.
What annoys me more is that the letters on the auto gear lever are on the opposite side of the driver. I’m RHD and I literally cannot see what gear setting I’m in because the letters P, R, N and D are on the other side of the stick.

When i was told by the sales rep that they had taken the foot rest away on the new T6.1 DSG I didn’t think much about, but now it is becoming very apparent that without the additional space/footrest to the left side of the break peddle I cant find a comfortable driving position. My old T5’s and T6 were driven everyday sometime hundreds of miles without me suffering any back issues. In the new van 48 mile trip and I got out with the worst back pain I had in a long time because I couldn’t find a comfortable leg position.
Not sure what the solution will be as there is no room to fit anything, leg amputation may be a step to far even for a loyal customer in the quest of being comfortable so this maybe my 5th and last new Transporter.
Hi, how are you getting on with this issue now? I'm going from T5 (such good driving position) to 6.1, now I'm terrified I wont like it!! Cheers.

I had a T5 then changed to a Vito (I know!) which was quite nice to drive but not as good as the old T5 got my new 6.1 in march and the driving position is just as good as I remembered the T5 was ,maybe even better. Although in fairness The t5 was an 85hp 5 speed and my 6.1 is a199 dsg Highline.

Back