T6.1 DSG Driving Position Issue

Nidge747

VIP Member
When i was told by the sales rep that they had taken the foot rest away on the new T6.1 DSG I didn’t think much about, but now it is becoming very apparent that without the additional space/footrest to the left side of the break peddle I cant find a comfortable driving position. My old T5’s and T6 were driven everyday sometime hundreds of miles without me suffering any back issues. In the new van 48 mile trip and I got out with the worst back pain I had in a long time because I couldn’t find a comfortable leg position.
Not sure what the solution will be as there is no room to fit anything, leg amputation may be a step to far even for a loyal customer in the quest of being comfortable so this maybe my 5th and last new Transporter.

Can you take a photo to show us what it looks like by the pedals. It might help us suggest ideas.

Pete

Not a DSG but this shows the problem, this seems a very odd move by VW. I presume it’s something to do with the move to electronic PAS.
AD13AB03-FBDA-4980-B7D4-967FAAC7053E.jpeg

I looked at the the 6.1 the week it came out and as well as thinking it looks horrid I couldnt buy a van with with no footrest ! Im 6.3 so as is the almost vertical position I have to have the seat in to have the seat back far enough is bad enough !

Maybe something can be bolted to the left hand sidewall next to the brake pedal... Not sure what's behind there...

Hmmm, that's not good

First time I've seen this being a problem, wonder why no one had flagged this up before

Noted this in the T6.1 thread some weeks ago after sitting in a new Kombi when I went in to buy some spares.
I am also 6’ tall and have the seat right back. Also have a bad back driving long distances in many cars but not my T6 which has a great clutch foot rest. There is no way I would buy a 6.1 for this reason alone. Not that I can afford one.
All I can think is that they expect the van to be doing most of the footwork on ACC but even so its very cramped in the footwell.

Well I’m 6’ 1“ and in my T6 I had no problems with my back, so as you can imagine after spending around £50K I’m not to happy and even on ACC you have to put your left foot somewhere, I think I have to see if I can 3D print a suitable foot rest and see if it can be mousted on the sidewall.
They also took the sunglass holder away but that’s a whole other thread.

I was shocked when I saw the T6.1, I actually liked the new look from the front but the lack of foot rest and the even cheaper feel to the dashboard confirmed to me that I would be keeping my T6. It will be interesting to see if anything can be done but it is very narrow. Almost to the point that your left foot is resting under the brake pedal in the DSG!

Edit: Just a thought... How much space is there in the passenger footwell?.. My Audi A4 had a very large tunnel protrusion into the drivers footwell, but masses of space to the left - probably because they sell so few RHD versions and just don't care about the UK market.... :whistle:

Last edited:
Looking on Google images, the LHD appears to have a dedicated footrest area / rubber part.

Poor design and adaption methinks.

Test drove a 6.1 and the lack of a foot rest was one of the main reasons I brought the 6.0.
May seem inconsequential to some but the lack of one is painful to me.

Fortunately I don't seem to be suffering any ill effects , possibly shorter folk don't suffer as much - I'm 5' 8" . My previous T6 front mats don't seem to fit as well around the middle area so perhaps a manufacturer may see potential in manufacturing a T6.1 specific product with a built in raised chunk of rubber as a footrest when there are sufficient 6.1's out there on the road to provide the economies of scale necessary to make it viable.

When i was told by the sales rep that they had taken the foot rest away on the new T6.1 DSG I didn’t think much about, but now it is becoming very apparent that without the additional space/footrest to the left side of the break peddle I cant find a comfortable driving position. My old T5’s and T6 were driven everyday sometime hundreds of miles without me suffering any back issues. In the new van 48 mile trip and I got out with the worst back pain I had in a long time because I couldn’t find a comfortable leg position.
Not sure what the solution will be as there is no room to fit anything, leg amputation may be a step to far even for a loyal customer in the quest of being comfortable so this maybe my 5th and last new Transporter.

We had a 6.1 as a courtesy van when ours was in for a service, I only had it 2 days and it drove me mad. I totally understand your frustration with this, oddly it seems the already small cab of the T6 is even smaller once you get moving in the 6.1, although it does look a million times better!

Back