Seeking Solutions for Drowsiness While Driving T6 California – Insights Needed!

Californication

VIP Member
I’ve been grappling with a curious issue in my T6 California Ocean 2016 2.0 tdi DSG 145,000km that I’m hoping to get your insights on. (EDIT: issue since bought in 2021)
After about 45 minutes of highway driving, I find myself battling a sense of drowsiness and reduced alertness. This is something I’ve not experienced with other vehicles, including a diverse range of cars such as an Abarth, Jaguar Sportbrake, VW T-Roc, Twingo 2, VW Polo, VW Tiguan, and a VW Passat.

Here’s what I’ve tried and noted so far:
-The chair’s comfort is fair, but not perfect.
-Cabin noise levels are quite low at 66 dBa, thanks to door deadening I’ve put in.
-Air quality seems fine: CO levels are at zero, and CO2 is at ambient levels (around 320 ppm). Opening windows hasn’t helped mitigate the fatigue.
-Switching to softer winter tires (2 years old) reduced noise and improved comfort but seemed to worsen the drowsiness issue. Other tires were 7 years old.

I’m aiming to pinpoint the cause without embarking on a costly trial-and-error process. Your shared experiences, insights, or even speculations would be immensely valuable.

Thanks in advance for your help and looking forward to your suggestions!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: CAB
Honestly not being rude here but have you had your eyes tested recently? I left it WAY* too long between eye tests and it has made a lot of difference.

*15 years :)
Hello CJW, thank you for the response. I’m a gp and I work in a centre that does mostly ophthalmology. I get checked about twice a year :)

I don’t get drowsy in any of the other cars listed, until about driving 5-6h straight.

Tom

• Love
Reactions: CJW
I find myself battling a sense of drowsiness and reduced alertness. This is something I’ve not experienced with other vehicles, including a diverse range of cars such as an Abarth, Jaguar Sportbrake, VW T-Roc, Twingo 2, VW Polo, VW Tiguan, and a VW Passat.
No offence intended, but many of us tend to look back at cars we owned previously and overlook the obvious - we were younger then, even if only a matter of months.
The important question is, if you got back in any of those vehicles and set out on a long journey now, would you still feel the way the T6 makes you feel?

No offence intended, but many of us tend to look back at cars we owned previously and overlook the obvious - we were younger then, even if only a matter of months.
The important question is, if you got back in any of those vehicles and set out on a long journey now, would you still feel the way the T6 makes you feel?
Hey Dave, fair enough question.
I’m currently driving the r-roc. I sold the jaguar 1 month ago and drove that thing easily 6h straight. Sold the Abarth 2 years ago, I was tired after 4h. I drove the wife’s twingo long ish distance about 2 weeks ago. The Passat was 2 years ago.
I forgot to add, drove a jeep wrangler rubicon 6h straight late September.
The t6 California, I’ll sell it if I can’t figure it out.

Chatting with passenger, music, talk radio, chewing on some sweets or hard candy are all things I do.

As you're a DR I assume you have the below covered?

- Have you moved on to any new medication?
- Have you checked your O2 stats, BP and heart rate? how does this compare when you are sitting watching TV in the evening?

I’m currently driving the r-roc. I sold the jaguar 1 month ago and drove that thing easily 6h straight. Sold the Abarth 2 years ago, I was tired after 4h. I drove the wife’s twingo long ish distance about 2 weeks ago. The Passat was 2 years ago.
Do those other cars have heated windscreens (assume the jag does but you never know) and could it be looking through that?

Are you able to borrow/use another T6 to see if you still experience the problem?

Selling it seems a bit rash...

Chatting with passenger, music, talk radio, chewing on some sweets or hard candy are all things I do.

As you're a DR I assume you have the below covered?

- Have you moved on to any new medication?
- Have you checked your O2 stats, BP and heart rate? how does this compare when you are sitting watching TV in the evening?
hey czmate1999:
I’m 43, take no medications and run 5km 2-3/week in 29 minutes. I don’t smoke either, although I drink one too many every so often :)
My vitals, o2 sat (have not measured, but not out of breath. I’m not doing any physical exertion or have any reason for it to go down like asthma or copd. The co2 level I measured in the car stays constant and is the same as outdoors proving good airflow in the Cali.) the heart rate stays normal.
I have not measured heart rate variability, an indicator of drowsiness.

I’ve driven many other cars on different continents. Only the cali does this.

I could test with another t6 by renting one, that’s a good idea if I’m to be objective. It’s 100 euros per day plus 100 euros processing fee.

Tom

Apparently some cars can make people more drowsy with specific vibrations or the movement of them, basically rocking you to sleep like a baby.

So it might just be the more wallowing ride of the California, plus I'm guessing on the motorway you're probably driving at a slower speed than in a normal car.

hey czmate1999:
I’m 43, take no medications and run 5km 2-3/week in 29 minutes. I don’t smoke either, although I drink one too many every so often :)
My vitals, o2 sat (have not measured, but not out of breath. I’m not doing any physical exertion or have any reason for it to go down like asthma or copd. The co2 level I measured in the car stays constant and is the same as outdoors proving good airflow in the Cali.) the heart rate stays normal.
I have not measured heart rate variability, an indicator of drowsiness.

I’ve driven many other cars on different continents. Only the cali does this.

I could test with another t6 by renting one, that’s a good idea if I’m to be objective. It’s 100 euros per day plus 100 euros processing fee.

Tom
I drive mine all over the UK and Europe. Sometimes driving for 13 hours straight - if I head to Prague overnight. I do get drowsy, but not until way into the journey, As I am getting older I now stop for an hour or two just to rest up. I am always travelling with the family so they help...

would also be good to test against a ford or other similar style vehicle...

Apparently some cars can make people more drowsy with specific vibrations or the movement of them, basically rocking you to sleep like a baby.

So it might just be the more wallowing ride of the California, plus I'm guessing on the motorway you're probably driving at a slower speed than in a normal car.
might be worth looking at the suspension...

Hey Tallpaul,
I’m aware of this and seems to be an issue between 4-8hz. I’ve tried to mesure to measure the oscillation constant of the Cali between 120-130km/h, my usual driving speed in any car. I’m using the iOS app phyphox but have not yet gotten reliable results.
I’ll give that another go this weekend.
Thanks!

IMG_1178.png

Ah, you've answered my question, it is a phenomenon that is linked to the T6 then. I hope you can find a solution to the problem and I agree that trying another T6 might be a good idea. I actually find that driving my T6 is less tiring than most other cars, the view ahead is superb and I like the driving position.

Yeah definitely worth looking into especially as you said when you changed tyres to more comfortable ones it made it worse.

Maybe your T6 is like driving a big old comfy slipper?!

Have you tried putting on some thrash metal? :rofl:

Or maybe changing speed, might change the vibrations.

Do you have adaptive cruise control? If it's a DSG too then all that (and seats with comfy armrests) make it really like driving a big armchair!

Back