T6.1 dipped LED headlights abroad

Deflectors are a few quid off eBay.
If the French police pull you over, however unlikely, they will pull your pants down.

Makes no sense to me to take the risk.

Correct, deflectors are not required with LED’s. As was mentioned earlier, the beam pattern is flat and does not affect oncoming traffic.
Seems a bit pathetic the beams are flat. If this really is the case is it yet more cost cutting (they only need one pair of standardised LED headlights in the factory)? Ironic if it is as you pay for LED yet the cheapo basic units may be costing VW more as they switch between LHD and RHD.
I want my headlights illuminating as much of the road and verge as legally and safely possible. Flat beams can’t do this.

Also, it's unlikely that deflectors will come with the positioning instructions for those headlights, so correct positioning will be hit and miss.

Looking at the eurolites website they do have instructions for LED headlamps for the Polo, Passat and Golf mk7 but not the Transporter. Likely because it’s not a hugely common vehicle/option combo, vs all other vehicles available, so they haven’t got one into their workshop yet.
You would need to follow their universal instructions: Travel Spot - Eurolites Headlamp Beam Adaptors - Fitting Instructions
I think you could use a wall rather than a headlamp beam testing unit.
I still can’t/won’t believe the beams are flat.
For the sake of three quid and five minutes vs a potential fine or causing an accident I’d park against a wall and see what the beam pattern looks like and just flatten it off.

Seems a bit pathetic the beams are flat. If this really is the case is it yet more cost cutting (they only need one pair of standardised LED headlights in the factory)? Ironic if it is as you pay for LED yet the cheapo basic units may be costing VW more as they switch between LHD and RHD.
I want my headlights illuminating as much of the road and verge as legally and safely possible. Flat beams can’t do this.
They are not perfectly flat, but very nearly. Part numbers are different as well

My Honda Bros motorbike (a grey import from Japan) has a totally flat beam cut-off on dip, which meant I could keep the same headlight when I took it to Germany for a few years. I’ve never really had any problem with this, and didn’t even notice until I moved To Germany, My T6 LED headlights do kick up slightly on the left, and the “travel mode” only lowers them a bit. It doesn’t cause the kick up to swap sides. Still seemed pretty decent when driving on alpine passes though, and I was glad not to have to stick on deflectors.

I drive a fair but in france each year and never use them. I went this summer in my TVR with halogens and didn’t bother. Done lots of winter driving in the T6 in france. I tend to take a set with me in the glovebox so I can shove them on IF I got pulled over by the police. Never had to before. I did get stopped once early afternoon and was breathalised but they still didn’t check the headlights!

I wouldn’t worry but just have a set handy.

My Honda Bros motorbike (a grey import from Japan) has a totally flat beam cut-off on dip, which meant I could keep the same headlight when I took it to Germany for a few years. I’ve never really had any problem with this, and didn’t even notice until I moved To Germany, My T6 LED headlights do kick up slightly on the left, and the “travel mode” only lowers them a bit. It doesn’t cause the kick up to swap sides. Still seemed pretty decent when driving on alpine passes though, and I was glad not to have to stick on deflectors
I drive a fair but in france each year and never use them. I went this summer in my TVR with halogens and didn’t bother. Done lots of winter driving in the T6 in france. I tend to take a set with me in the glovebox so I can shove them on IF I got pulled over by the police. Never had to before. I did get stopped once early afternoon and was breathalised but they still didn’t check the headlights!

I wouldn’t worry but just have a set handy.
I don’t get the logic. What’s wrong with sticking them on? Why buy them not to use them?
I can’t stand it when English cars in England have misaligned headlamps. It’s not just uncomfortable but it’s unsafe.
It’s even worse to have headlamps designed for countries that drive on the opposite side.
Dazzling other road users is not on in my book.
Is this all just more exceptionalism? Or just being cheap? I really don’t get it.
The deflectors I have used cost a few quid, are very easy to fit and are easy to peel off without leaving a trace.
Blows my mind people are willing to plan and fund a foreign trip but are dead set against such basic things.

On the other hand, I've never seen any French registered vehicles in the UK with headlamp deflectors. Clearly not just an 'english' issue......

I don’t get the logic. What’s wrong with sticking them on? Why buy them not to use them?
Why stick them on when you don’t need to? The travel mode (is that only available for LED lights?) is designed to avoid the necessity. Not only that, but there are no markings on my LED lights to aid alignment. Maybe todays deflectors are better than the ones I’ve used before, which were never so clean to remove?

Why stick them on when you don’t need to? The travel mode (is that only available for LED lights?) is designed to avoid the necessity. Not only that, but there are no markings on my LED lights to aid alignment. Maybe todays deflectors are better than the ones I’ve used before, which were never so clean to remove?
No travel mode on a 6.1 as they don’t need it. Light patterns are ok.

My Honda Bros motorbike (a grey import from Japan) has a totally flat beam cut-off on dip, which meant I could keep the same headlight when I took it to Germany for a few years. I’ve never really had any problem with this, and didn’t even notice until I moved To Germany, My T6 LED headlights do kick up slightly on the left, and the “travel mode” only lowers them a bit. It doesn’t cause the kick up to swap sides. Still seemed pretty decent when driving on alpine passes though, and I was glad not to have to stick on deflectors.
Thanks for explaining there is a travel mode. Wasn’t aware of this. Just kept seeing posts saying the beam is flat (which makes no sense as it would not light up signs and the LED headlights are a high cost option - you’d want them to work well) or just don’t worry about it (which sits badly with me as I assumed the beam would not be flat and therefore you’d willingly be dazzling people).

I can’t stand it when English cars in England have misaligned headlamps. It’s not just uncomfortable but it’s unsafe.
It’s even worse to have headlamps designed for countries that drive on the opposite side.
Dazzling other road users is not on in my book.
Is this all just more exceptionalism? Or just being cheap? I really don’t get it.
The deflectors I have used cost a few quid, are very easy to fit and are easy to peel off without leaving a trace.
Blows my mind people are willing to plan and fund a foreign trip but are dead set against such basic things.
Just to point out: I bought a set of deflectors. The instructions gave no indication as to where to stick them. Figured I'd ask the question on the forum based on a phone call to VW tech department who said the beam is flat therefore not necessary, compared to the info online regarding compulsory use. I'm not "dead-set' on anything other than compliance to road laws and safe travel. No need for mind to be blown.

Reactions: CAB
Interesting that there is a significant ambiguity attached to this issue considering the importance of safety, and the popularity of modern tech on our vehicles. I shall now check my 15 year old travel first aid kit to make sure the Germoline is still in date :)

Out of interest, do 6.1's have simple dipped and main beams, or matrix headlights?

Our Tig has IQ LEDs. You just leave them on Auto main beam all the time and they turn on an off the appropriate diodes that would otherwise dazzle over motorists, whichever side of the road they are on.

I’m not disputing there is no need for them on the leds, but for the sake a few quid I’d fit them if only to avoid a really awkward discussion on the side of a foreign road with someone who probably doesn’t speak my language and just looking for an excuse to fine me! You make your choices!

What boils my piss are the ignorant knobs who know they should have them, but can’t be arsed. Morons!

In the UK, the offence is something along the lines is dazzling oncoming traffic. Not sure if its the same in France or if there is a specific offence of not having beam deflectors. I'd hazard a guess they don't.

So, as long as I'm not dazzling oncoming traffic in France by lowering my halogen H7's to the lowest level, I'm happy.

Not been flashed once this year, 4 weeks in France.

I am happy to be corrected, perhaps by one of our French contingent ?

I am in Belgium now and this morning I was in Uk. Just used Carista to change the instrument cluster region. Set it to Europe and you can see the LED changing pattern after saving the option. I think this will adjust the light to the right side driving. I’ll let you know when it’s dark if it worked :)

Back