T6.1 And Eibach Springs (beware)

Paul Gray

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I just spoke to my local VW and have been told that they are not allowed to install eibach springs on the T6.1 and any they have already fitted have to be removed. Apparently they can drop out whilst driving.

I find that hard to believe. I worked for Eibach for about 7 years and we couldn't release anything into production without full TUV approval.
I would contact Eibach Uk for clarification. Their products are slightly more expensive than other springs because of the engineering level and quality production. I hope that hasn't slipped.

Maybe relates to the fact the T5 / T6 springs are the same as is the suspension components but the 6.1 has a different set up?

That's my understanding. There are no 6.1 springs or Coilovers yet. Businesses are just fitting or trying to fit and frig existing T6 springs and Coilovers onto 6.1's. I don't think it's an Eibach specific issue. There are quite a few horror stories on Facebook already with people just whacking T6 accessories on, or trying to and then finding problems.

People are buying 6.1's and expecting the aftermarket and 3rd party options market to be as mature as the the T6 market overnight. I guess it's no surprise it's not.

That's why I've 'parked' a move to 6.1 until the market 'matures' a bit .... and that includes the VW optional extras list, that always expands after launch e.g. there is no Comfort Dash upgrade now, no power sunroof and probably other options not yet available that I don't know about as I haven't looked and checked them off

That's my understanding. There are no 6.1 springs or Coilovers yet. Businesses are just fitting or trying to fit and frig existing T6 springs and Coilovers onto 6.1's. I don't think it's an Eibach specific issue. There are quite a few horror stories on Facebook already with people just whacking T6 accessories on, or trying to and then finding problems.

People are buying 6.1's and expecting the aftermarket and 3rd party options market to be as mature as the the T6 market overnight. I guess it's no surprise it's not.

That's why I've 'parked' a move to 6.1 until the market 'matures' a bit .... and that includes the VW optional extras list, that always expands after launch e.g. there is no Comfort Dash upgrade now, no power sunroof and probably other options not yet available that I don't know about as I haven't looked and checked them off
Eibach have confirmed to me that their coilovers will fit the T6.1

@CRS Performance . Have you any info on this Steve?
I Find it odd that Eibach have said the T 6 parts work on the T 6.1 . No reason to doubt them at this stage but H&R have been looking at the situation closely and have designed new springs already for the 2wd Vans still waiting to test a 4WD . Sadly I cant get my hands on one to be sure, so ill wait for the Clever people to suss it out and advise us properly
Bogner Motors were fitting the Eibach kit to a T6.1 this week , Not sure if there is an update on this yet ??

I've just spoken to Eibach and they cannot see any issue fitting with the coilover kit, and have had one in themselves to check - However we are going to work closely with them, fitting the kit on the Monday, sending them photos and reporting back as we go.

They have advised not to fit eibach lowering springs at present as on the standard spring it has a plastic/rbber cover/protector around the bottom coil, see below, and they are not entirely sure what its for - Probably anti corrosion protection, but they want to be sure

spring.jpg

That is probably the difference , the front spring lower pigtail is different to fit in to that Plastic ( or rubber ) mounting

There fore the issue is only when fitting existing lowering springs to standard shocks they wont fit nice ands can move out of place >

Of course if you are replacing everything as in Sport kit or Coil over kit this shouldn't be a problem at all . They did this with the Mk 5/6 golf to the Mk 7 just changed the spring seat .This meant new design shocks new design springs

Also ties in with what H&R have been doing developing a new spring .

Nice one OLI

There is a specific 6.1 Eibach Comfort spring available. This as Bognor has correctly identified that the lower rubber spacer is the difference between T6 and 6.1.

So fitting a coilover kit is then not an issue of course. However, I do believe that it is possible at a drop at 70+ on a heavy van to maybe have some contact with the redesigned front ARB. This can be modded by fitting a slightly longer drop link arm. We have these in production to alleviate the problem if it occurs on anyones van.

The 6.1 lowering spring that we can provide has TUV rating and is supplied by Eibach Germany not Eibach UK, so is 100 % suitable for the 6.1 on standard dampers.

Heres the link:

There are two different sets available, depending on the vans front axle weights.

If you need any further info, please feel free to get in touch.

Hope that helps.

Stay safe. Team Chilli

We are taking pre production orders for the T 6.1 anti roll bars which will be with us in approx. 5 to 6 weeks . No mods needed with this , same price as the T 6 T 5 units

The 6.1 lowering spring that we can provide has TUV rating and is supplied by Eibach Germany not Eibach UK, so is 100 % suitable for the 6.1 on standard dampers.

Heres the link:

Thats good to know. Although every 6.1 we’ve had in so far, and have booked, is on coilovers Great to know there is another option for different budgets, as we will be asked. We will give a set a go at some point.

Stay safe guys

I understand VW have now confirmed that the standard 30mm lowering springs for the T6 can now be used for the T6.1 PROVIDED a new coilover tube they have developed is also fitted. My T6.1 California Ocean is being done next week.

Strange , They basically fit any way what on earth would a Coilover tube accomplish do they have any pictures . The Californias we have done all sat too low at the rear so make sure the Rake is correct when they have finished , i can send you the details of where to measure to be sure .

I understand VW have now confirmed that the standard 30mm lowering springs for the T6 can now be used for the T6.1 PROVIDED a new coilover tube they have developed is also fitted. My T6.1 California Ocean is being done next week.

I had that statement from VW sales too... Snip from email:

1603283400189.png

Strange , They basically fit any way what on earth would a Coilover tube accomplish do they have any pictures . The Californias we have done all sat too low at the rear so make sure the Rake is correct when they have finished , i can send you the details of where to measure to be sure .
Not sure ?? If you could send the details of where to measure that would be great

I find that hard to believe. I worked for Eibach for about 7 years and we couldn't release anything into production without full TUV approval.
I would contact Eibach Uk for clarification. Their products are slightly more expensive than other springs because of the engineering level and quality production. I hope that hasn't slipped.
Hi there,

Do you have a product code for t6.1 t32 please and a rough price? The ka datvid

Just to let you know I had the 30mm lowering springs fitted to my 2020 T6.1 California. The rear was too low and the van sloped to the rear. VW would not do anything about it - however I have just received an email from Eibach who have admited they are aware of the problem and have just received TUV approval for fitting the lowering springs to the front BUT leaving the original factory fitted springs on the rear. They say this will result in a neutral rake bias...... VW are refitting the original rear springs back on my California this week......

Back