T6.1 - Adding rear Speakers

Thanks. Won't rule it out as Bognor not too far really! Would you be able to do it same day out of interest? And am I playing with fire given we're under warranty with a new van?

AP

Same day is possible. And not all at. The system is designed for four speakers.

Can you use the contact form on the website please or DM us with full vehicle and head unit details pls

We can supply all the parts you need , for rear speakers, and front upgrade, drop us a pm or call 01980 624740
I am in Australia , so can you send them out to me or give me a idea what I have to get please.

It's a T6.1 with a Discover Media Unit and Navigation and Digital dash.
Just looking to upgrade the speakers and put two extra in the rear tail gate, if they will fit.

I’ve got the standard infotainment on the 6.1 shuttle s - that has 4 speakers in front, none in back (not even the grilles)
So does the head unit have 2 more available ports for 2 rear speakers or is it 4 max?
And in that case, would we need to forego 2 in the front to have 2 in the rear (rather than a new stereo!) ?

thanks

You need to take the dash off from the speedo cowls first then then the piece round the head unit. There is a YouTube video on it.
The head unit is easy to remove 4 spring clips.
At the rear is the quadlock. It has a brown 8 block. The middle 4 are used for your current speakers. The top two and bottom two are left and right rear.

You need to code the unit to use fade. But speaker work off same volume as front otherwise. ( or at least has done on mine)

Ok, thanks for this.
I’m going to try and find someone local to do this and then wire in and install speakers (I don’t even have grilles in this model).
I think it’s plain crazy that an 8 seat van, at £45k, doesn’t have a speaker in the rear for all to hear. Stingey in the extreme and I didn’t even think to ask.

Alongside mind-numbingly bad headlights as the standard option (mine fortunately had LED), and underwhelming AirCon all around, the worst feature by some margin on a vehicle at this price point is the massively disappointing sound system (it took me a while to get my head around the fact that anybody could still justify manufacturing sound systems this bad). It almost spoiled my appreciation of the van at first, but in honour of the tried and tested method I threw money at the problem and am now very happy with the sound I have (thanks to @Absolut5).

Hi All. I’m a new T6.1 owner and a T6 Forum virgin so please be gentle with me if (when) I say something (lots of things) dumb.

I’m looking for a way to upgrade the audio in the back of our van. The orignal speakers in the front are just about bearable, but there are no speakers at all in the back. I was thinking of just adding one or more built-in speakers in the rear, but I wondered if it might instead be possible to add a standard portable Bluetooth speaker (e.g. Bose / JBL / UE, etc.) in the back so that the kids can hear the radio when they’re in the van and we’d also be able to remove the speaker to use it outside in the sunshine when needed.

I figure we’d need to:

- Have a speaker cable running from the head unit (or ideally somewhere closer and more easily accessible) to the back of the van where the speaker is going to live. The speaker cable would need to terminate in a 3.5mm headphone jack, to plug into the speaker input. (I thought about adding a Bluetooth transmitter to the head unit but I'm guessing that there would be a delay, so that the built-in front speakers would be out of sync with the BT speaker).
- Ideally have power available for recharging the speaker’s battery when the ignition is on (it wouldn’t be a deal breaker to just manually plug the speaker into one of the 5v sockets every once in a while, to recharge the speaker’s battery).
- Make a bracket of some sort to hold the speaker.

My question is, does this make any sense or am I totally barking up the wrong tree. Would it work? If so, what’s the easiest way to get a speaker feed into the back that I could attach the speaker to?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum @Martylad
There is no AUX out on the head unit so your portable speaker would have to accept a high level signal. By the time you've faffed about making a bracket and getting power to charge it you may as well fit a pair of standard speakers in the rear. The preferred route for cables is up the A or B pillars and along the top edge of the roof. The main 'brain' of the head unit in a 6.1 is behind the glove box.

Welcome aboard, @Martylad , I've merged your question onto this thread. The replies above yours might help. If not, just ask

Welcome to the forum @Martylad
There is no AUX out on the head unit so your portable speaker would have to accept a high level signal. By the time you've faffed about making a bracket and getting power to charge it you may as well fit a pair of standard speakers in the rear. The preferred route for cables is up the A or B pillars and along the top edge of the roof. The main 'brain' of the head unit in a 6.1 is behind the glove box.

Thanks @Deaky - I can't believe you got back so quickly!

I quite liked the idea of the flexibilty of using a portable speaker, but I hadn't appreciated the issue with different input levels. A quick Google suggests that converting the signal is do-able but, as you say, probably more effort than it's worth.

If anyone else has any thoughts then I'm all ears. Otherwise it looks like it's back to plan A.

Thanks @Deaky - I can't believe you got back so quickly!

I quite liked the idea of the flexibilty of using a portable speaker, but I hadn't appreciated the issue with different input levels. A quick Google suggests that converting the signal is do-able but, as you say, probably more effort than it's worth.

If anyone else has any thoughts then I'm all ears. Otherwise it looks like it's back to plan A.
I think I have a plan...you can get amps with Bluetooth and supposing you can find one which takes a speaker level input from the front of the van as a switchable source as well, bingo.

Then I'll buy one too. I'd like the kids to be able to control the back speakers to share our music when they want but to pipe the iPad or something when they don't. And if I run the amp off the leisure battery we can play music when camping too

I think I have a plan...you can get amps with Bluetooth and supposing you can find one which takes a speaker level input from the front of the van as a switchable source as well, bingo.

Then I'll buy one too. I'd like the kids to be able to control the back speakers to share our music when they want but to pipe the iPad or something when they don't. And if I run the amp off the leisure battery we can play music when camping too
Thanks @Andysmee. Have you got any links to the sort of amp you mean?

We can supply all the parts you need , for rear speakers, and front upgrade, drop us a pm or call 01980 624740
Hi Absolut5. I received the pins to add two extra speakers from you today, thanks. Do I place them in the plug behind the head unit or is the plug behind the glove box? if it is behind the glove box what plug is it?

Back