t32 hard suspension - pot hole avoidance

Not being political but Woking council is currently over £2 billion in debt and basically sat on the naughty step.
Here in Northampton which went bankrupt 2yrs ago we've just got back an £8 million loan from Thurrock council!

Surrey are charge of the roads, not Woking

Thought it useful to post this here - the upshot: most of the harshness of my 2016 T32 ride was not because of shockers / springs, it was worn front suspension arm bushes. Van’s on 160k miles and this was the first change. Soaks up bumps way better now - comparable to newish vans I’ve hired recently for work and in line with my memory of previous vans I’ve owned.

Bit of an update on this. On the advice of a mechanic friend who drove it, the ride has improved massively from replacing the front suspension arms and bushes. Now feels like other vans I’ve driven / owned and the front feels very smooth and compliant. Feels 80% the way to perfection. Going for new shocks and springs on the rear soon and I reckon that’ll get it to 100%.

Bonus : what I thought was a power steering-related low speed judder on turning has also been proved to be worn bushes. Smooth-as now.

Thought it useful to post this here - the upshot: most of the harshness of my 2016 T32 ride was not because of shockers / springs, it was worn front suspension arm bushes. Van’s on 160k miles and this was the first change. Soaks up bumps way better now - comparable to newish vans I’ve hired recently for work and in line with my memory of previous van

Funny enough we drive around Scotland quite often & roads are much better, more traffic police though. More fines = better roads.
I was in Scotland last week. Did some cycling too and noticed the quality of the roads. The lack of traffic as well could account for lack of wearing them out.

Can confirm that Glasgow roads are heavily pock marked but bearing in mind with a total 5.5 million population and 1.7 million of them living in Glasgow it might explain why much of the rest of Scotland has near racetrack specification roads and epic unspoilt countryside. :thumbsup:

FWIW, I've just fitted 235/65/17's in a 108 (with new coilovers) and the ride is surprisingly supple. I wonder what the relationship is between sidewall depth vs load rating and where thr two almost cancel each other out.
Obviously a 35 profile 108 is going to be worse than a 65 profile 108 and the shear volume of air helps immensely.

Reactions: CJW
I think that’s the trade-off - extra cushioning vs less weight. keeping unsprung mass to a minimum is the rule I was told, but I guess the deeper the side wall, the extra bonus ‘spring’ available. On a mountain bike it’s clear as day: bigger tyres = more comfortable ride.

Think I’m sold on the 65s.

FWIW, I've just fitted 235/65/17's in a 108 (with new coilovers) and the ride is surprisingly supple. I wonder what the relationship is between sidewall depth vs load rating and where thr two almost cancel each other out.
Obviously a 35 profile 108 is going to be worse than a 65 profile 108 and the shear volume of air helps immensely.
Hi. Did your 235/65/17s rub on full lock? Have you raised the suspension or are you on standard height? Many thanks.

70mm drop. No rubbing - on Fuel Zephyr 8.5J 17, ET34.
For info the speedo error is completely cancelled out ie. GPS matches the speedo exactly.

Last edited:
Reactions: CJW
Interested to know how it goes with new tyres. Will they be 103 load rating?
I’m just about to push the button on 225/65/17 106V Dunlop Vector All Seasons. Decided against 235 because I’m on standard suspension and heard reports of rubbing in some instances.

Insurer confirmed these tyres are acceptable yesterday.

Will report back.

70mm drop. No rubbing - on Fuel Zephyr 8.5J 17, ET34.
For info the speedo error is completely cancelled out ie. GPS matches the speedo exactly.
Do you have any pics? I’m going to put some all season on my Devonports ready for winter and am now thinking this size might work.
I guess any internal arch rubbing could be sorted with spacers - I’m only lowered 50mm.

If you haven't seen it, there's a thread running with lots and lots of pictures and discussion for various wheel and all season/all terrain combinations.
Have a look in this thread, my van is here

225/65/17 106V Goodyear AS Vectors fitted today - driving home I did not care about rough road surfaces. Massive difference. Really big difference. No rubbing - fill the wheel arches far better. Far more confident on the road.

IMG_5069.jpeg

225/65/17 106V Goodyear AS Vectors fitted today - driving home I did not care about rough road surfaces. Massive difference. Really big difference. No rubbing - fill the wheel arches far better. Far more confident on
That’s great news.
I wonder the difference between these tyres and the ones I put on? Bigger tyres but more load Rating.
I assume you haven’t changed shocks & springs.

Back