t32 hard suspension - pot hole avoidance

Goodyear Eagles felt like luxury running shoes compared to steel toe caps when I swapped to them from the previous Contis on our Leon.
Blooming quiet too, I think they must be lined with Dodo mat. :whistle:
The indicated noise rating is probably directly related to whether a tyre is made from cement or rubber?

That’s great news.
I wonder the difference between these tyres and the ones I put on? Bigger tyres but more load Rating.
I assume you haven’t changed shocks & springs.
I’ve just done a calculation comparing volume of air and it’s remarkably similar between yours and my tyres so if it is a tyre effect it would have to relate to diameter - bigger cushion? Or maybe that larger diameter tyres roll better over terrain (see the 29” vs 26” debate on mountain bike tyres) but whether the effect would be noticeable on tyres that are only 35mm bigger in diameter is less clear.

York’s roads can accurately be described as terrain. :)

Definitely stock on the front. My local garage reckon the rear was beefed up by British Gas. The spring is the biggest one - single grey dab. He said the shocker is different to stock but nothing fancy. Ride height is stock though.

Don’t forget I had my front suspension arm bushings done recently - that made a difference. I only knew about that because my mechanic friend spotted it when driving - he could feel a mild shudder through the steering at low speeds. They lasted 7 years so I can’t complain.

The hard part about this is it’s all relative - mine went from utterly disgraceful to great *in comparison*. Shame you live so far away - would happily let you drive it.

Reactions: A&A
Currently suffering with this myself, I have had lowering springs fitted, and obviously I appreciate I need to change the shocks, initially I was looking at Koni Active's but after reading a reply from Steve @CRS Performance i'm not so sure which way to go. I have tried contacting CRS, but as yet haven't heard back yet

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: A&A
Currently suffering with this myself, I have had lowering springs fitted, and obviously I appreciate I need to change the shocks, initially I was looking at Koni Active's but after reading a reply from Steve @CRS Performance i'm not so sure which way to go. I have tried contacting CRS, but as yet haven't heard back yet
I’ve edited your post tagged @CRS Performance so he gets a notification.
Having used him myself, I know he’s a busy man, so you may be best off telephoning

I appreciate he's a busy guy but I've tried e-mailing and telephoning, no luck with either, will continue trying.
Apologies we are very busy and regret not getting back to you timeously. Call us on 07469785932. Any time if I miss the call I’ll call back thanks

Interested to know what CRS suggest.
I have had Koni active shocks added with Evo Technik Lowering Springs.

Last edited:
That was quick.
I don't hang about ;)

To be fair it's been harsh for a while, as I said previously it was lowered with standard shocks and consequently the standard shocks didn't have enough travel to help. Its been like that since it was collected from the convertors, and was getting to me how harsh it was to drive.

From contacting Steve @CRS Performance in the morning and getting advice I was there several hours later and he was able to fit me in, I believe I was their last customer in August.

225/65/17 106V Goodyear AS Vectors fitted today - driving home I did not care about rough road surfaces. Massive difference. Really big difference. No rubbing - fill the wheel arches far better. Far more confident on the road.

View attachment 211143
Apologies for resurrecting this thread @CJW but I am also considering this tyre size on my Devonports. I don’t suppose you have any ‘side on’ pictures of your van with this setup?

Everything about it ticks the boxes however, I just need to make sure it’s suits from a cosmetic perspective. How do you rate the larger tyre size with regards to ride etc. The 65 profile run ~34mm higher than my 235 55 17. I’d like to keep my van under 2m so your setup would require a 40mm drop.

Last edited:
@Alexander4699 235-55-17 have and overall diameter of 690.3mm, compared to 225-65-17 with and overall diameter of 724.3mm. You are quite right in saying there is a 34mm difference. However, the overall vehicle height will be raised by the radius difference which is 17mm. That's the difference between the ground and the centre of the hub. The relationship between the centre on the hub and the body remains the same.

@Alexander4699 235-55-17 have and overall diameter of 690.3mm, compared to 225-65-17 with and overall diameter of 724.3mm. You are quite right in saying there is a 34mm difference. However, the overall vehicle height will be raised by the radius difference which is 17mm. That's the difference between the ground and the centre of the hub. The relationship between the centre on the hub and the body remains the same.
Nicely put - thank you very much

Apologies for resurrecting this thread @CJW but I am also considering this tyre size on my Devonports. I don’t suppose you have any ‘side on’ pictures of your van with this setup?

Everything about it ticks the boxes however, I just need to make sure it’s suits from a cosmetic perspective. How do you rate the larger tyre size with regards to ride etc. The 65 profile run ~34mm higher than my 235 55 17. I’d like to keep my van under 2m so your setup would require a 40mm drop.
Hi. No problem at all. I have a couple on file - does this do the trick? I intend to lower by 40mm at some point.

IMG_5068.jpeg

IMG_5065.jpeg

Back