Swapping out a VSR for a B2B Charger for dummies?

KenA

When I had my T6 converted, the chap put in a Durite VSR, which I think has led to both the starter battery and leisure battery dying, which is pretty annoying. I'm not great with electrics but have realised that VSRs aren't suitable for T6s and so I was wondering how straightforward it would be to swap it out for a B2B charger and if so, which one to get?

The current VSR is in the bonnet and the leisure battery is in the storage units, opposite the sliding door, so it would be quite awkward to get to the cables.

They do it because its cheap, and for the majority of users the auxiliary battery gets an 'adequate' charge. Its not optimal, but its adequate to power a simple conversion.
VW install auxiliary batteries with a VSR for the same reason, its not optimal but for most users it suffices for the task in hand.
What does puzzle me is how a VSR has killed a starter battery?

It was probably a Moll battery, my Redline conversion with VSR on a 67 plate went like that with the leisure battery joing the Moll in a suicide pact.

I have the Victron Cyrix Battery Combiner fitted. This was done by the converter I bought the campervan from. In my case seams to work fine to my 110 amp battery whilst driving and whilst on EHU charges the vehicle battery just fine. Should I be removing it and fitting B2B ? The engine is a EU5 T6 I think (no adblue)

Last edited:
and for my own education, why wouldn't it work?
Its just a relay. You need a dc-dc charger to work with the bluemotion (smart alternator) vans

Very interesting thank you. Think next month will be pulling the Victron Cyrix Battery Combiner and trying to get a Sterling Power ProBatt Ultra BB1230 posted to Spain (bloody import taxes.......)

A lot of people have mentioned the Stirling B2B charger. Does anyone have any view on them and are any of them easy to fit?

Personally I like Victron stuff and have only touched a Sterling once but I don’t even like how they look lol

I'm going down the Victron route as can get one without the crazy import taxes saving £90 just on tax!!!!! on the Stirling B2B charger

I'm going down the Victron route as can get one without the crazy import taxes saving £90 just on tax!!!!! on the Stirling B2B charger
Where are you getting it from, how would I know which model to get and are they easy to fit?

Where are you getting it from, how would I know which model to get and are they easy to fit?
I'm getting it from Amazon Spain and therefore no import taxes:

UK Prices: Victron Energy Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-30A (360W) Isolated DC-DC Charger – ORI121236120 £257.25+ Postage+ Import taxes.............
Amazon Spain Price:€ 268.81 FREE 1 day shipping

No brainer really. Just ordered cables etc this afternoon.

Not sure which model you would need as do not know your setup and there are better members than me that can answer that for you. I have a 115amp AGM battery so that is why I ordered the 30amp version.

Back