Success: T6 Bench Seat W Airbag Now Swivels!!!! Hooray

Whiz

Meet BANKSY - There is always "Hope"
T6 Guru
All, some of you will have seen my post on this - see this link below.
T6 Help: Can U Fit Swivel Plate On Double Pax Seat W/side Airbags

HOORAY - SUCCESS - DAN AT CUSTOM CAMPER SOLUTIONS - see below:

In short, the swivel plate is fitted as normal, now here is the clever bit. Dan has extended the airbag cabling (under Rubber mat) and installed an "Airbag Connector" next to the handbrake. I WILL ADD PHOTOS WHEN IT STOPS RAINING!!!

The process in brief is:
  1. Engine Off
  2. Airbag Switched off - on Pax side
  3. Separate Airbag Connector
  4. Undo the 4 locking bolts, you may need to open pax door & Release handbrake for ease
  5. Swivel Seat - you do NOT lock it in place when it has swivelled
I take my hat off to Dan, the Owner at Custom Camper Solutions, Desborough who worked through a solution & fitted a solution. See this link: About Us | Custom Camper Solutions, Leicestershire

I just wanted to say that Dan did this as a one off and it is a bit messy - to say the least. It also took a lot longer (than planned - possibly 3 hours) as this was the first time he has done this I believe.

However, the benefits are MASSIVE! I have just spent the week away in Sharky (VanJam, Lincoln & Surfing in Snowdonia until last night) and it is amazing - love it. Comfy seat, watch TV and bed permanently set up for the who week in LWB.

Finally, I am NOT technically minded so please keep the questions, comment easy and I will try and answer.

I know a few people asked me to keep them informed! So here you!!!

Paul.

Paul that’s great. I’ve already fitted the double swivel then realised it wasn’t straightforward. Are any members on here able to provide a loom to extend the airbag wiring? Thank you

Paul that’s great. I’ve already fitted the double swivel then realised it wasn’t straightforward. Are any members on here able to provide a loom to extend the airbag wiring? Thank you
I know one of the.main senior administration team had donever a loom ... but the key is running it under all the carpets. I am away in Dublin Until Sunday but can add photos if you want them.
Hope I have understood the point correctly?

Paul

Yep paul that’s what I’m after. I’d rather not cut the existing loom and would rather simply use a quick release connector looped through a loom with male/female match for the yellow seat bag connector.

Yep paul that’s what I’m after. I’d rather not cut the existing loom and would rather simply use a quick release connector looped through a loom with male/female match for the yellow seat bag connector.
Understand ... but not sure what that would entail as I am not technical. The loom was cut to be extended and Yes I do have a quick release F/M connector etc.... you may want to post a "wanted" as their was a guy on here who made them up... but I think it got caught and snapped.

That is why I like the solution Dan has fitted. Cheers Paul.

I made an extension cable up for @DaveyB but that used genuine VW M/F connector at the ends to make the cable coming out of the floor approx 300mm longer
I still have one here (as i made 2 at the time) if you are interested but i wouldnt call it a quick release connector its the same as the one you already have ?

Last edited:
Pauly that’s just what I need. I’d simply cut the loom you have made up and make up some suitable quick release connectors to come up at the side of the seat base near the handbrake. Quick unclip and swivel. I’d rather not cut the existing van wiring if I don’t need to and your wire will be great. Let me know how much you would like and how you would like paying. Thanks much appreciated.

Sounds and looks like mine. Thanks @Pauly for picking this up. I couldn't remember who did it! I will post photos on Sunday when I am back @T6newbie fyi. Cheers

1560710337673.jpg

HOORAY - SUCCESS - DAN AT CUSTOM CAMPER SOLUTIONS - see below:

@T6newbie @Pauly

In short, the swivel plate is fitted as normal, now here is the clever bit.

PHOTOS OF PROCESS BELOW

The process in brief is:

1. Engine Off
  2. Airbag Switched off - on Pax side
  3. Separate Airbag Connector
  4. Undo the 4 locking bolts, you may need to open pax door & Release handbrake for ease
  5. Swivel Seat - you do NOT lock it in place when it has swivelled
I take my hat off to Dan, the Owner at Custom Camper Solutions, Desborough who worked through a solution & fitted a solution. See this link: About Us | Custom Camper Solutions, Leicestershire

I just wanted to say that Dan did this as a one off and it is a bit messy - to say the least. It also took a lot longer (than planned - possibly 3 hours) as this was the first time he has done this I believe.

However, the benefits are MASSIVE! I have just spent the week away in Sharky (VanJam, Lincoln & Surfing in Snowdonia until last night) and it is amazing - love it. Comfy seat, watch TV and bed permanently set up for the who week in LWB.

Finally, I am NOT technically minded so please keep the questions, comment easy and I will try and answer.

I know a few people asked me to keep them informed! So here you!!!

Paul

Hi pal, I have the same issue, can you please tell me where to get the component parts to make one of these looms please, any assistance would be appreciated, cheers Billy
Hi Billy, that van has now sold.
Custom Campers Market Harborugh did mine... but they refuse to do anymore as it was Pain ITA! Most company now fit a resistor to fool the system to thinking it is still connected!!!. Now maybe worth asking the wider T6 forum as someone may make up looks.
I wish I could help further. Sorry. Paul

I've just fitted the Kiravan double swivel. I also found the 'airbag' fault when it was all installed. I knew it would result in a fault code because it is not possible to connect the wiring up. I'm kicking myself as I buried the connector under the carpet along with the rest of the connectors.

Anyway, I like the 'mobile' fix suggested above but rather than try to source the correct connectors, I've bought four sets of auto 2 way connectors from Amazon.

I'll cut the connector from the main loom. Then add in female on the van side, and make on the seat side. Then add a second set to the 'extension' cable, which will have make and female at opposite ends.

This way I can add in the 'extension' cable to the loom, and feed it out next to the handbrake. I'll drill a hole in the side of the seat base, and put in a rubber grommet to protect the wires from potential sharp edges.

This way, as above it remains connected when in transit, and unconnected to swivel.

If I sell the van on, I can take the swivel out and the extension, and the vehicle side will have a female connector, with the male connected to the seat base tensioners.

The only down side is having to remove the seat again, oh and Amazon who don't deliver for another couple of weeks.

Dave C

Reactions: CAB
I've also posted here with images of the wiring, similar to Whiz:

@reserves if it helps I just sold the kiravans one as I found it a bit of a faff to plug/unplug open door/dangle leg out of the side of the van and instead bought a vankraft swivel which just moves the top of the seat. It’s 4-5x the price but very well built and a doddle to use.

Ta

Back