Styling - Something missing

Gareth Edmondson

T6 Pro
Afternoon all,

We’ve just had our conversion and are happy with it. Really works as we tour the NC500 this Easter.

But…. Something is missing that makes it stand out. I don’t know what it is - bit we always seem to think that other vans look better.

Has anyone else gone through this? I say it’s the outside. Also could be we have non-metallic paint(???).

I don’t know - just talking to myself here about it so thought I would write it in a post.

:)

Gareth

Show us some pics of your van.
We went through the same thoughts with ours.

Pete

It’s a standard T6 Highline in Cherry Red. Everything standard except a rear spoiler and extra side window on left and fake window on right.

I will get pictures asap.

Gareth

Lovely van @Gareth Edmondson should be proud of it! Side bars and some nice new wheels would finish it off beautifully! Oh and chuck on a rear bumper protector and a front splitter on it while you are at it!

definitely the wheels and lowering will change the look of these vans but if you're happy with the ride why worry

Mine is 40mm lowered and has 18” Amarok steel wheels and it totally transforms the look but in a subtle way and still rides comfortably.

Cherry red is a big colour and sometimes needs some extras to break it up a bit, IMO.
Have you had a look at the Team Cherry Red thread? Might give you some ideas?
My cherry red T6 is usually too dirty to know what colour it is but I felt exactly like you do when I first got it.
I added a black rear bumper protector, black steel 18" wheels, some body mouldings and decals. These things are subjective and won't be to everybody's taste but I'm happy.20230219_151321 (2).jpg

This is ‘Basicbus’ on instagram. I read his build thread on Pistonheads turning a Miele service van into a family camper. I nearly purchased a red van but only a T26 so got my silver one instead. I think bright colours suit them.

IMG_0115.jpeg

H7s

I sometimes think ours looks plain, just a Reflex Silver van. Even plainer when I added steel wheels, with all season tires. But then, that’s what we specified - all the enhanced features special to us relatively hidden. Most don’t even notice the lifting roof when stowed down.

If the van works for you then enjoy it and celebrate it’s relative invisibility. Those in the know will soon recognise its qualities and capabilities.

But…. Something is missing that makes it stand out. I don’t know what it is - bit we always seem to think that other vans look better.

The van looks fine as it is, but the standard ride height and stance is possibly the cause of your comment that "something is missing".

25mm spacers at the rear and 15mm spacers at the front (with standard Devonports) would make a massive difference, as spacing out the wheels will fill the arches and have a much bigger effect than one would expect.

Side bars also make a vehicle look lower than it is. If you are keen to stick with standard ride height, side bars would help a great deal.

Obviously, lowering the vehicle by around 40mm-50mm would cosmetically transform the look and lowering should improve handling, but this needs to be done with caution as people's taste in ride firmness will vary from person to person.

Another way forward, which is very practical for a camper is to add spacers and also chunky tyres to the Devonports, which may be a more desirable "look" depending on your taste. This has pros and cons such as improving access to campsites in wet grass. The con being the slight decrease in fuel economy and slight increase in road noise.

I do like the factory LED rear lights on T6s. Being bright red, it’d suit the cherry red lights, but the smoked ones look good too.

I agree with others, suspension upgrade will give you a vastly improved ride. Lowering even conservatively, will improve look. If you go for larger / wider wheels. These two changes make a huge difference.
But it takes time and money to get there !

Hi @Gareth Edmondson
I can understand your feelings
I also think the others posters are right in what they like with or would like on their vans.
You seem to be in the middle of the perfect trip to look for the answers that would suit you and your van?
Look at other Transporters, Californias etc and note the features you like.
It could be something as simple as colour coding some parts, or having others painted to match the red body colour?
Some like to have the bottom half wrapped to give a two-tone look?
VW California stickers?
The list is endless!
I initially typed lust. It was a mistake, but can often be apt regarding these vans!
Andy

Back