STX coil over and ride height comfort

I’ve never heard STX being called firm. Sporty is how I would describe them. What pressures are you in with your tyres. We sell more of these coilovers than any other - they are our best seller. They work really well and are great value for money.

We run various vehicles with the different setups - STX, STXA and B14K so you can directly compare.

Have you got weight in the back of your van @dave_b ?

I fitted STX to my van last weekend and the back is sitting a little higher than the front - all 4 corners are wound right down. Yours looks more level. When I get my new wheels I think am either going to wind the front up a little or lose the adjusters at the back.

View attachment 164366

I’m going to be asking a local garage to wind mine right down (ie, raise the ride height to max it will go on the STX)

I’m going to be asking a local garage to wind mine right down (ie, raise the ride height to max it will go on the STX)
be careful they don't wind them so far they are out of the designed range.

Whilst we understand that Coil overs are popular amongst Transporter owners they are designed to go lower than conventional lowering systems , you must realise that in order to work at drops of 60 to 80 mm the shocks and springs are designed to be stiffer , this is to stop the shock and the suspension bottoming out all the time .
I have never removed an STX kit because a customer of mine wasn't happy , But i have for a customer who bought from another prominent dealer , I think this is probably because we qualify clients on their needs and priorities before hand . any tendency to want comfort as a priority , we will try to fit KONI shocks as apposed to anything else. .
Like Oli we sell lots of STX kits but it is only our third best selling kit because 75 % of customers go the H&R / KONI coil over or full KONI / Evo springs route .

If that doesn’t work then you could put the feelers out and see what you’d fetch for your ST-X kit, and replace it with one of the Koni setups?

that's exactly what I plan on doing.

I’ve sourced a set of T6 springs and I know how much Koni Actives cost to fit. So if I can get a good amount for my almost brand new STX kit, then I’m golden.

Height of my wheel arch from the ground is 74cm. Do you know what yours are?
Measure wheel centre to wheel arch. Gives readings you can makr better comparisons as they tyres dont come in to it.

Sorry wasn’t looking just reread the whole thread been a long day, saw the tyre size.

Try lowering your pressures slightly, maybe a little lower at the back . And certainly raising the height will make a difference. Looking at the pic yours is well down. I don’t think you’re local but by all means pop it in and we can take a look for you.

I have a LWB T30 with STX with a conversion which isn't wildly heavy.
I also have a SWB T32 on KW V1.
Both are lowered 60-70 mm.
I understood them to pretty much be the same thing when Bognor Motors fitted them. (But rated differently for the T32.)

In my opinion, the vans are soooo different to drive. I don't know if it's because of the wheelbase length or what, but the T32 drives like an MX5 compared to the T30!

I hasten to add that this isn't the weight of the conversion as I noted the difference after collecting the van when it was a naked uninsulated panel van with coilovers fitted.

In my brief experience, I have foundthe STX much less stiff than the KV V1, but I am told this shouldn't be the case! What do I know? :oops:

Need to get @BognorMotors to raise the T30 on STX by 25mm as it will need to tow. Shame as it looks lovely!

Sorry wasn’t looking just reread the whole thread been a long day, saw the tyre size.

Try lowering your pressures slightly, maybe a little lower at the back . And certainly raising the height will make a difference. Looking at the pic yours is well down. I don’t think you’re local but by all means pop it in and we can take a look for you.

I would pop over but I’m now living in Newquay (was in Essex Previously).

Back