STX vs Koni Actives

Which will give the most comfort

• I wouldn’t use either for max comfort (comment what you would use)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dave_b

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Which will give the most comfort?

I have been told two different things, so thought I would raise a poll to get some forum answers.

I’m having the STX raised to max height this weekend from their current setting which I’m guessing is -60mm

I will hence have great back to back comparison on how the STX feel at these ride heights.

I’m still interested in the Koni Actives but have been told these are harsh and removed from vans for this reason.
This comment was not qualified on the springs being used, so not sure if ‘harsh’ relates to Actives on lowered springs or OEM springs at standard right height.

So this Poll is qualified on ride height and springs.

Don’t know about the STX but if they are better next time I’ll get them :)
I find the ride on OEM springs and Koni being smooth and very comfortable. In addition much more precise at motorway speed. Curious about STX.

Reactions: Ozi
I’ve driven a T6 on stock suspension, -55mm Cobra lowering springs and now on STX all the way down.

I’ve also had combinations of the above on 16” Claytons, 19” Amarok alloys and 16” steels with BFG All Terrain tyres.

The Cobra springs were horrible - crashy and bouncy (but when I discovered the rears had collapsed and were coil bound that might go some way to explain) on both alloys and stock wheels.

The STXs are brilliant in comparison to stock/cobras (I’ve just got out of a Mini JCW and that was very firm) with a definite noticable reduction in body roll over stock and nowhere near as much crashyness as the Cobras.

Looking forward to the STX and 19” alloys when they arrive.

The best combo for comfort was stock suspension and either the Clayton’s or the BFGs.

I will always try and avoid potholes and other surface imperfections regardless of what I am driving and wheel/tyre combo.

What are you expecting/trying to achieve?

trying to achieve comfort with a degree of body roll control.

raising the STX may solve it for me. I will find out on Saturday.

trying to achieve comfort with a degree of body roll control.

raising the STX may solve it for me. I will find out on Saturday.
Have you uprated your ARB / is yours a T32? If not, that would be my next job if it’s body roll. It doesn’t help with actual comfort over bumps when travelling in a straight line , mind, but does stop you leaning over in corners.

I don't lean on corners with the STX.
If I switch to OEM springs and Koni Actives, I would fit a rear ARB.

ARB is not the issue.

I have a lot of experience of both setups. I've fitted and test driven dozens and dozens of ST-X kits, they are my biggest seller by some distance (for good reason) and at whatever ride height they've been fitted I find the ride quality and comfort to be excellent. I've never had a disappointed customer.

The Koni special active with OEM springs will give you more comfort over ST-X at max ride height though.

Cheers Chris, I have your quote ready if I decide to opt for the Koni's and OEM springs (maybe the 25mm lift kit as well).

Now I’ve got them fitted I thought I’d add that the STX wound right down with 245/45/19 alloys drives really well.
Yes it is firmer than stock but it is really very comfortable.

I have Koni special actives and H&R ARB‘s - completely transformed from standard OEM in terms of ride, comfort and roll. And a lot more fun to drive now too! Standard OEM Clayton wheels and OEM springs.

The roll was more a consequence of full camper conversion and pop top weight, but that was solved with the new ARB’s.

I have Koni special actives and H&R ARB‘s - completely transformed from standard OEM in terms of ride, comfort and roll. And a lot more fun to drive now too! Standard OEM Clayton wheels and OEM springs.

The roll was more a consequence of full camper conversion and pop top weight, but that was solved with the new ARB’s.
Just curious - did you do the shocks and ARBs all at the same time or did one come before the other?
Asking as I’d like to do both but finances will only allow one at a time (the other car also needs shocks and the van just had it’s DMF done ££££!). Wondered if the ARBs are necessary at all though or if better shocks might just provide slightly better, but good enough, body control.

Just curious - did you do the shocks and ARBs all at the same time or did one come before the other?
Asking as I’d like to do both but finances will only allow one at a time (the other car also needs shocks and the van just had it’s DMF done ££££!). Wondered if the ARBs are necessary at all though or if better shocks might just provide slightly better, but good enough, body control.
Did them both at the same time, but that was very much my own choice. Partly to save another trip to CRS, and also because Steve had the van on the ramp with wheels off, so seemed to make sense and make his job easier. I was very mindful of the hideous roll before hand, probably due to the pop top weight, so went a bit belt and braces.

But no issue doing them separately, as Steve @CRS would confirm. He would happily do shocks only, and the ARB’s later if that’s what you want, and you could see if that new shocks alone give you enough improvement.

Had CRS fit the Koni Active, -40mm springs and H&R ARB front and rear a few weeks back. I run 17" alloys with AT tyres. Pretty heavy with a full camper conversion.

Comfort and handling have increased massively. I obviously can't compare it to the STX, but it is the best money I have spent on the van. So much so that I will be booking in my two other work T6s for the Koni Actives and H&R ARBs, just because I now hate sitting as a passenger in their vans :laugh:

It really has been night and day. My end goal is to sell our car and daily the T6 so we can fit a crafter on the drive.... I wasn't 100% sure I could daily the T6 until my visit to CRS. I'm having a Revo remap later this month and that should just perfect it for me.

I’ve got a T32 LWB high line van 204 2017 and want to fit Koni special actives all round but I can’t find rear shocks that are suitable for a T32.
Im running standard wheel and I want to keep the ride height as standard. Any recommendations.

Back