STX coil over and ride height comfort

dave_b

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I have STX coil overs fitted and the ride height is about -40mm.

If I raise the ride height by 20mm will it give a more comfortable ride?

Pics to show current ride height.

9EBB35D8-5012-4850-B184-854A024B7534.jpeg

51AEFFE1-C1AB-496E-A4D5-918093F06E8F.jpeg

426B4E0E-4F92-416B-BD0C-C8C2AF243C53.jpeg

Have you got weight in the back of your van @dave_b ?

I fitted STX to my van last weekend and the back is sitting a little higher than the front - all 4 corners are wound right down. Yours looks more level. When I get my new wheels I think am either going to wind the front up a little or lose the adjusters at the back.

6D3F99F3-8934-41E7-B32E-CA92B623DE01.jpeg

I have KW STX installed and lowered roughly 55/60mm. I think the ride is superb for how low the van is. I have a T28 with the conversion 50% complete, so there is more weight to go in but I find it copes with the roads really well, isn’t crash at all and soaks up imperfections. I have recently had the van lowered down to the above figures from around 40mm and I feel it rides better here at the new height. But then as already stated is so subjective and such a personal choice to what comfort is

Are these STX @Ads_Essex? Any weight in your van?
I have KW STX installed on my T28 camper. It weighs 2400kg with just me in it. It’s down at 390mm front, 380mm rear. I have thought about lifting the back a little, both for comfort and looks.

Whilst ‘sporty’ in firmness, the KW blows the Stance+ I previously had out of the water. They were so rigid, in comparison it was like driving a van with no suspension.

CDF6CDF4-B069-472C-A8B3-AB7985EC4095.jpeg

If I wanted more comfort, I imagine the active shocks would be the only solution:
That’s interesting as I had STX’s on my shortlist, but I don’t want a harsh ride.

Koni active shocks and springs are looking ever more likely.

They are less harsh than the Koni/H&R and air bags imho.
I can’t comment on the STX setup, but the H&R coilovers/Koni shocks on my T28 are not harsh in the slightest? As said above it’s very subjective and I guess depends a lot on the weight of each individual van.

@dave_b with the 17” wheels and big tyres you have there, I’m surprised it’s harsh at all…. just a thought, but what tyre pressures are you running?

There is no weight in the Van other than sound deadening. Standard T30 Kombi.

It’s not harsh, it is firm and I feel just about everything on the road.

Psi is 45psi all round.

I think it’s too low. Hence my question, will raising the ride height increase the comfort?

I’m actually thinking of changing to either OEM suspension or the Koni Active with maybe a 20mm ride height reduction.

I do like a comfortable ride. I find the ‘stiffer’ setup is not really my thing. It looks great, but I want comfort.

I’m on ST X with the same tyre setup as you. I know it’s very subjective, but for what it’s worth I do find it more comfortable than the standard wheel and suspension setup.

Looks like I’m a little higher than you though:

F1DF6DB7-8E52-45EB-BAC0-2030AF467408.jpeg

Perhaps raising yours a bit could be worth a try before swapping out components?

Yeah, you look a good 20mm higher than me.

How easy is it to raise the ride height on my own? I know how to do it, but how easy is it to turn the adjuster?

I’m on ST X with the same tyre setup as you. I know it’s very subjective, but for what it’s worth I do find it more comfortable than the standard wheel and suspension setup.

Looks like I’m a little higher than you though:

View attachment 164375

Perhaps raising yours a bit could be worth a try before swapping out components?

Bad editing of the pics, but taking a reference line of the lower part of the body work, mine looks very low compared to yours.

60F19A86-9456-497E-B291-DAA1067BCD2F.jpegCDA8DADD-5DA6-4098-9645-36AC4E514122.jpeg

How easy is it to raise the ride height on my own? I know how to do it, but how easy is it to turn the adjuster?

Yeah. I’m not going to adjust it myself.
Will find a local place and ask them to do it.

Back