Strange Tailgate issue - not opening

coullstar

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
So my tailgate actuator was randomly activating with the van in open position, it eventually appeared as if the switch wasnt working as well. I think the actuator gave up the ghost as the actuator would not activate by handle, inner switch or when bridging the wires to the handle switch.

I've replaced the actuator and the outer switch and its exactly the same other than if I bridge the switch wires the actuator will activate, but still wont do it by handle, inner switch, pillar switch or the keys. Its like the car will not activate the actuator.

Does anyone have an idea on what the issue is? Is there a convenience module that controls these parts. Everything else on the car works fine, power is getting to rear wiper etc so Im at a loss at the moment. Its really quite annoying not being able to open the tailgate other than mechanically.

2018. Weirdly I connected in the old rear outer handle and its worked then it all started working again. Kept the new handle and actuator fitted.

Did you start the engine with the tailgate open at some point, folks have found that if the tailgate module gets out of sync doing that can often clear tailgate issues.

I thought I had the same issue, but when I removed the rubber plug to have a look - found the actuator arm had become disconnected from the lock mechanism! Has anyone had this before?
I just pushed the metal rod back into the white plastic ‘cup’… but is there supposed to be any more permanent fixing, or is it meant to be a friction fit? Seems like it will happen again if anyone slams the tailgate.

I thought I had the same issue, but when I removed the rubber plug to have a look - found the actuator arm had become disconnected from the lock mechanism! Has anyone had this before?
I just pushed the metal rod back into the white plastic ‘cup’… but is there supposed to be any more permanent fixing, or is it meant to be a friction fit? Seems like it will happen again if anyone slams the tailgate.
OK.. so it’s not fixed. Does anyone have a picture of what the metal rod (7LA827515) is supposed to look like at the lower end, and how it connects to the lock mechanism?
The actuator end is all fine and works correctly.
I can’t work out whether the metal rod has snapped, or if there’s some sort of special trick to the lower connector? Is there supposed to be a flat end or a ball at the end of the actuator rod?

IMG_2066.jpeg

IMG_2067.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m not sure anyone is reading this thread anymore… but apparently there’s supposed to be a second ‘securing rod’ (No 19 in the picture) which holds this one in place. Mine is awol… can’t find it anywhere in the tailgate, and yet it was all working fine up until 2 weeks ago!

IMG_2086.png

OK.. so it’s not fixed. Does anyone have a picture of what the metal rod (7LA827515) is supposed to look like at the lower end, and how it connects to the lock mechanism?
The actuator end is all fine and works correctly.
I can’t work out whether the metal rod has snapped, or if there’s some sort of special trick to the lower connector? Is there supposed to be a flat end or a ball at the end of the actuator rod?

View attachment 228229

View attachment 228231

20240211_132200.jpg

20240211_132203.jpg

Thanks @Scubadog! I initially thought my the end had broken of my operating rod (fnarrr, fnarr!), but having ordered a new one, I think it's fine.
From your photos, yours looks a little different... it looks like the operating rod goes straight through the catch on the lock - or is that just the photo? Also, does yours have the 'pig tail' loop in it, and do you have a second 'securing rod'?

Thanks @Scubadog! I initially thought my the end had broken of my operating rod (fnarrr, fnarr!), but having ordered a new one, I think it's fine.
From your photos, yours looks a little different... it looks like the operating rod goes straight through the catch on the lock - or is that just the photo? Also, does yours have the 'pig tail' loop in it, and do you have a second 'securing rod'?
Hi
no second rod yep the bottom end was just pushed in. No sign of a pig tail I can take a photo of the rod tomorrow as its still out waiting on a new actuator

Spoke to the local dealer - confirmed that there is no second securing rod on my van. Apparently the small white plastic clip is really only designed to be used once. He said that he often sees this issue with converted vans, where the converters remove the rod to install sound proofing and/or insulation material, and then although it gets put back correctly.. it often fails later. So, 64 pence for a new clip (although dealer didnt charge!) and I'll try again!

Back