Tailgate won't unlock - what am I missing ???

Montecha

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I've been trying to fix my tailgate lock for a number of weeks, and I'm now totally confused !

Maybe a couple of times late last year, it wouldn't unlock straight away, but then by pushing the door down into the latch slightly, it would eventually give in and work. I then had a flat battery before Xmas, as I hadn't used the van for a while so I trickle charged it, and everything seem to be OK, well apart from one thing!

The tailgate won't unlock from the outside at all :mad: - I have managed to get it open from the inside and have been through the wiring I can see and the logic of what's going on, but it's got me stuck for ideas on what to do next.

1. The latch electrics all seem to be working, open / closed / latched all shows up on the MFD. I also bought a new latch, same behavior on the MFD,
2. The external tailgate switch seems to be working. I can hear the micro switch open and close. I have another switch on the way, but I can also short across the plug and get the same behavior.
3. I have tested the existing actuator on the bench and that works, also bought a new one from VW before I figured out I had a 12V source.
4. I get good continuity to earth, from the earth side of the actuator plug.
5. I've done the BCM reset by disconnecting the battery.

If I put a meter across the actuator plug, then I can see a steady 4.8V - which I believe is the BCM monitoring.

If I then squeeze the external tailgate switch, there's a pulse of 11.8 V which I believe 'should' operate the actuator and open the lock. The latch itself has to be set 'closed' to get the 11.8V pulse, if it's in the open state, no pulse. On the bench the actuator only needs a short dab of 12V to operate, which would release the latch then go back to it's 'ready' state. I don't understand why the 11.8V isn't moving the actuator.

This all seems to stack up with how I think it works, i.e.

if the door latch is shut AND the handle is squeezed, then BCM sends the 12 Volt pulse
if the door latch is open AND the handle is squeezed, then BCM just keeps monitoring with 5V

The only errors that I get are an intermittent open circuit, on the tailgate, which I assume is me unplugging the actuator. If I plug it all up, clear the fault and don't touch the wires then I don't get any faults if I try the external handle. The BCM seems to be operating correctly, all the components seem to test out OK - but the flippin' tailgate isn't budging.

Not really sure where I can go next ?

I've search all the forums and not found anything like this, all the VAG tailgate faults are either one of: tailgate switch, the latch or the actuator. No one seems to have a fault where all of these seem to be working, yet the tailgate's not working.

Any thoughts ?

I'm loathed to give in and give it to a dealer, as they will also be starting from scratch, and I can see the meter running up a big bill (and maybe not even get it fixed) !

Another hour or so out with the puzzle tonight.

I remembered that I hadn't really tested that the ground side of the actuator was a good body ground, so tested to the thread on the wheel arch for the jack, its about 20 ohms all in - so appears to be good ?

I've scanned yet more threads around the place on tailgate issues and saw that BCM Byte 2 Bit 6 was Central Locking/Rear Lid: Release button inside (Zentralverriegelung/Heckklappe: Entriegelungstaster innen verbaut)

As I did have the internal switch, but now removed due to the California chair panel my original coding for Byte 2 was 79, where bit 6 is '1'. I tried this at 39, as that seems to be the panel van setting with no internal switch - but sadly still the same :(

Did another round of testing the switch operation, still see what I think are the right conditions i.e. 5V monitoring then a 12V pulse for the activation, but sadly there's nothing moving.

FA5548B7-0DD6-42BF-AF42-1D14E857F161.jpeg

8DDA3A8F-21AC-4514-BB51-92D0AD934AA9.jpeg

Finally, got to the bottom of this today, thanks to a local Auto Electrician.

He started from scratch and gradually eliminated all the major tailgate components and wiring, as I had done. As we were working together it was possible for him to hear the relay activate in the BCM when the tailgate switch was pressed, i.e. you can't do this on your own, and this helped really confirm components, connectivity etc. All the signalling looked correct via the SnapOn Modius scanner (VCDS on steroids), which made the logic a bit easier to to follow than the PC based VCDS.

As he had a T6, he took his internal switch tailgate switch out and plug that into my wiring to eliminate that as well. (Remember mine was removed for the Cali panel)

Basically we got to the same stage that I had previously reached of 'it should be working, but it's not' ! Which was good for my sanity to say the least.

He was pretty convinced it was BCM related.

So, used a trick of sticking 12V from his auto probe into the BCM wiring from the actuator, this somehow woke up the BCM relay and the tailgate is working again !
It took him less than an hour to reach this conclusion.

As I have the spare BCM from eBay, I'm now going to swap that in and re-code it (plus the keys), as sods law says that it will happen again at some-point, and that will be when I'm fully loaded, raining and in the middle of nowhere.

Okay I have the same problem.
I have the 4.8v monitoring at the actuator and the actuator works if you put 12v to it.
If I press the boot release the indicators flash but no actuator and no 12v pulse
I tried putting 12v on the actuator to wake the BCM plug but nothing.
I have disconnected the battery but that didn’t help
Any other ideas?

Last edited:
Okay I have the same problem.
I have the 4.8v monitoring at the actuator and the actuator works if you put 12v to it.
If I press the boot release the indicators flash but no actuator and no 12v pulse
I tried putting 12v on the actuator to wake the BCM plug but nothing.
I have disconnected the battery but that didn’t help
Any other ideas?
Hi Halfordwill did you get anywhere?

No unfortunately I didn’t. I tried everything except calling someone out.
As it’s a camper I don’t need the door to open on the key so for now I just accept it.

Have you tried opening the door with the engine running ? My issue reoccurred and I was picking up a new awning having driven 150 miles, so was willing to try anything !

Miraculously, with the engine running it opened - even when the battery should have been 100% after a long trip (no lights, no heater or wipers). I have a spare BCM to change over at some point, but for now it's behaving itself.

Back