Stop/Start Not Working

Strange, I must be in the minority.... before I saw this thread I was thinking how often mine does auto-stop compared to a previous Mercedes (car not van) we had. Now I'm a little worried as it does it almost straight from cold and only doesn't do it when on a steep gradient or a few other exceptional circumstances. As a result, I quite like it, it's relaxing to sit with the engine off at the lights, or is it just me!?

Mine did it today after 2 minutes of driving, on a steep grade aswell, not sure how the van knows that you have stopped on hill though??? I agree, tis nice and peaceful with the engine off and starts so quick when depressing the clutch.

Mine did it today after 2 minutes of driving, on a steep grade aswell, not sure how the van knows that you have stopped on hill though??? I agree, tis nice and peaceful with the engine off and starts so quick when depressing the clutch.
It must know when you're stopped on a hill otherwise the hill hold assist wouldn't work!

Ok so driving today stop start kicked in just as I was coming to a stop, engine tried to restart as it's still winding down and stalled completely. Anyone else had this?
I ended up on the approach to a busy roundabout trying to restart the engine and realised I needed to put DSG into park - doh!

Ok so driving today stop start kicked in just as I was coming to a stop, engine tried to restart as it's still winding down and stalled completely. Anyone else had this?
I ended up on the approach to a busy roundabout trying to restart the engine and realised I needed to put DSG into park - doh!

Not experienced it myself but my wife has complained of it conking out/not restarting a couple times, one of which was on a hill and she said it rolled back after coming of the brake and not restarting !

mine doesn't work if the ventilation is set to windscreen! Had it confirmed by a vw technician that the aircon comes on when windscreen selected.........but no aircon light comes on! That's why mt idle speed was up around 950rpm and stop start didn't work! If the aircon was on, you'd expect the light to come on too........now THAT deserves to be a recall and software update!!!!!!!!

Mine is always set to windscreen on coldest setting and stop/start works????

Just been out and tried mine, with windscreen setting air on light is on and stop start still works fine

Just been out and tried mine, with windscreen setting air on light is on and stop start still works fine

That's interesting.......I'll monitor mine.......but the vw technician told me there are times when the aircon will be on when vents are set to windscreen........but no light showing! He said it wasn't unusual......I got a wiff of BS but he was adamant. It explained why my windscreen had condensation at the bottom and my fingers were going blue.......and I hadn't actually switched the aircon on.......it switched itself on! It was a very hot day last week.......if that makes any difference????

That's interesting.......I'll monitor mine.......but the vw technician told me there are times when the aircon will be on when vents are set to windscreen........but no light showing! He said it wasn't unusual......I got a wiff of BS but he was adamant. It explained why my windscreen had condensation at the bottom and my fingers were going blue.......and I hadn't actually switched the aircon on.......it switched itself on! It was a very hot day last week.......if that makes any difference????
I'll keep an eye on mine too but so far air con stays on whatever the air distribution, like you say it does sound odd!

If your ac is set to coldest then it won't work. Turn temp up one notch and it operates fine.

If your ac is set to coldest then it won't work. Turn temp up one notch and it operates fine.
Handbook explains all the various operating conditions that prevent stop start from working

Last edited by a moderator:
I reprogrammed our Touareg start/stop to work in reverse (disabled at startup), will try and do the same to our California when we get it..

Took delivery of my T6 on 5th Oct, done about 700 miles now and the start/stop has worked about 10 maybe 12 times, I stopped to set my sat nav and it turned the engine off, I must have taken too long to put the post code in as it asked me to re start manually, I love the whole regenerative braking and stop/start thing but I am an auto electrician and that short of stuff fascinates me, I am less enthusiastic about paying a fortune for a decent amperage DC to DC charging system to keep my split battery charged up though, I buy the 140A VSR relays for £19 + VAT each but the 40A DC-DC charger I want for my van is £350 + VAT!!

Back