Stop/Start Not Working

StudleyGlass

150 DSG Kombi/Caravelle/Air-ride
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Just a quick question, i have done a 100 miles now and not once as the engine stopped, the symbol on the dash comes up with a line though it and the engine stays running. i was told that some energy from the breaking needs to build up for it to work ?

Just a quick question, i have done a 100 miles now and not once as the engine stopped, the symbol on the dash comes up with a line though it and the engine stays running. i was told that some energy from the breaking needs to build up for it to work ?

Have you got the air con on?
It won't work if the air con is on as it uses to much energy

I have! so thats it then, how strange, the stop start works in our car with the climate control on but it does start the engine some times.

Mine stops with the air con on but not if I have only been doing short journeys round town. When I have done a few miles on decent roads (bypass/motorway etc) it's fine. Obviously it needs sufficient journeys to build up enough battery backup to carry on running everything.

I think engine temperature may play apart aswell. Thought the handbrake had to be on aswell, but it doesn't.

Engine temperature needs to be reached and the air con off for it to work.
There's a bit about it in the handbook, it lists the things that prevent stop start working.
Basically if you are drawing too much current, engine is cold, steep slope etc etc....
It does work with air con on, but not if it's working hard.

Or on Fridays, bank holidays and if DFS are having a sale.
Made me chuckle.
There are so many variables that prevent it from working, I'd go so far as to say it's pretty much a useless feature.
I wonder how much fuel is used to start the engine? It's added nothing to the economy for me.

Reactions: CRD
Made me chuckle.
There are so many variables that prevent it from working, I'd go so far as to say it's pretty much a useless feature.
I wonder how much fuel is used to start the engine? It's added nothing to the economy for me.
Yes, I thought stop start referred to the intermittent nature of the technology. Especially when you say "yes it has stop start" to your passenger and the damn thing refuses to come on!

I too was surprised and a little disappointed that it doesn't work if the air con is on. Was impressed with how quickly and quietly the engine fired up though and it took off!

Same for me if engine is hot mine goes off with aircon on low but generally when I've already covered a few mile

Back