Hi @Loz ...the sparesafe is available from Campervanbits which seams to be part of VW Californiaclub.com can we as T6 members get this at a discount ...or do you know where else you can purchase from.......next question it can be purchased with or without the lock bolt, as I’ve already got the VW locking bolt will need the complete kit ( with bolt)
Ps the Amazon link is same company
cheers. ;)
You would also need to be a VIP on the VWCC to get a discount, yes it is available without the bolt.

I found a Skoda Superb rear shock lower bolt is the same size but with a 14mm spline drive - I posted previously with the part number.

Ian

I bought one from pauly. The one that was in the forum shop. Much more discreet than the one above, but should do the same job

Isn't the one pauly selling the same as what the OP had... ?

it looks like it from the top link...

image.jpg
I have it right here so what it’s currently lacking in added security it’s making up in convenience!

The addition of the black collar stops the use of mole grips

View attachment 68648
I have it right here so what it’s currently lacking in added security it’s making up in convenience!

The addition of the black collar stops the use of mole grips
That lacks the protection for the exposed part of the thread after it has gone through the bracket.

@cgtmiles - I think this type of design is the one original poster has had compromised....

It seems to slow them down by around 60 seconds.... so probably not fit for purpose....

I have one, bought off pauly, You need to make sure the tab on the collar butts up against the metalwork to prevent it being rotated counter clockwise...

And welly the bolt up, 2 and a half grunts.... It'll slow them down... but not for long... As Loz says it doesn't protect the exposed threads after fitting, so not a great design and one that shouldn't be being sold or promoted IMO..!

Fitted.jpg
WHEEL LOCK.jpg

I've heard of quite a few spare wheels gone .. mine never had one when I bought the van .. I didn't notice .. but have one fitted now with the basic anti tamper version.
Surely someone could manufacture something that provides a tab / padlock arrangement with removable cover to access the locking bolt .. what do other car manfs do where spare wheel store below the vehicle

There is a very cheap solution to use in addition to the standard 3 pin locking bolt; use an old hole saw or cut down 1/2” socket as a guard. I used a cheap hole saw, I cant shift it with a 12” Stilson.
As a bonus the bast@rd might slash their hand open trying to nick it.
3E1D6624-CC50-4A6F-9D7E-4125DD32A1F6.jpeg

D40DD885-EFA9-47CF-8134-E48E1BBE1342.jpeg
Now fitted it before I find it gone!
It maybe because I have a std steel 16” spare but there doesn’t appear to be space to get anything directly on to the thread with the undertray etc there.

Surely this will do as a deterrent? I’m not overly happy yet letting the van out of my sight and it has spent 99% of its life so far on the drive but hopefully this will change soon and this should give me a little confidence in leaving it in public.

Now maybe I should fit those locking wheel nuts;)

Have you guys all got wider spares? Also on the photos where I can see the behind the fixing the bolt appears covered too, is this std or added?

Have you guys all got wider spares? Also on the photos where I can see the behind the fixing the bolt appears covered too, is this std or added?
Mine is a 235 wide 17" spare but yours seems to have gone up a lot further

I've just fitted a 215/65/17 under there to match the rolling radius of my 255/45/19 cantera's.

It fits under, but the hinge side of the carrier needs moving down onto it's lower position to accomadate the wider wheel.

Don't under estimate the street urchins ways and means of pilfering....

Original poster and others have had their spares stolen with this type of 'anti-theft' device fitted..!

It is merely a deterrent to a level 1 street urchin....

The standard 3 pin bolts are pretty useless. I lost my key and banged a tight fitting 12 point socket over it and it came loose.

Back