Step / Guide / dumping ground to Lining, Sound-Deadening and Insulating

So I have been looking at this for a while now and Dynamat is rated very good, and silent coat every bit as good but half the cost. makes sence to go for silent coat and get better coverage.

I recently spoke to a Guy at Custom Vanz and after reading thier web site and simply said

"Don’t be fooled by companies offering D-Matting, Dynamat or similar as a Sound Deadening Treatment.Whilst these materials will eliminate a small amount off road noise, these materials are anti vibration products used in Audio Installations to stop powerful speakers vibrating panels, door cards and dash trims, ect.They are not dedicated sound deadening products"

So @Buggirl no it wont provide insulation or sound deadening, but it will add weight to the pannels that wiill vibrate due to other vibrations in the van, whether that is due to a sound system or whatever they will deaden vibrations that can be heard as sound. so in all will help.

If you look at my earlier 3 stage sound, insulation and carpet thoughts, it will give you an idea of what I plan. Others will do it differently by filling the voids with a wadding type insulation and this is going to be down to choice for me. and depending on cost i may well do both the silent coat insulator and wadding ... Most are availible as peel and stick. as @superflyguy states maybe peel a wee bit off at a time before attempting to stick down a full sheet. Will be easier to peel off if ya F-up
Amazon are about to release its own butyl deadening with aluminium thermal liner. 1.8mm so same spec as most other brands - £14/m2 if I recall. When it’s available!

Hi Team,

I need advice, there is so much information I’m bit lost.
I got carpet on the panels and door done by the previous owner. There is no isolation inside.
I plan to cover side panels, sliding doors, and tailgate. I’m thinking about a pop-up roof, no work for now in this area.
I was thinking to use:
Stage 1: dodomat deadn hex
Stage 2: dodomat thermos liner 10mm
Stage 3: Thermo fleece and the carpet with a panel on the top
Is that right?

20230124_185000.jpg

Yes - deadmat to kill noise, liner for primary thermal barrier & fleece for secondary insulation with a vapour barrier as a final option should you wish?

The more you spend now, the less you’ll potentially spend on heating (diesel heater) going forward & really as far as van conversions steps goes, it’s one of the cheapest & best places to spend your cash IMHO.

Cold nights are no fun - stealth camping & noisy diesel heaters don’t go.

Check out my own thread to see the steps should you wish

Question, how to remove this black oem stickers? Or I can apply dodo on the top of that? 

20230206_133902.jpg

The black sticker is likely factory fitted butyl deadening - I would dead mat around it!

BMW put one square per panel in cars -
I expect VW do the same and also for vans.

As previous comment, the more you do the better generally. Since I followed up with fleece, I went 6mm liner…

Harrison Trim, Megavanmats, Kiravans all sell products just as good as Dodo stuff, and there's some equally effective materials on eBay. I really don't get the dedication to some of the named brands.

Yep if the K value works for your own application & you don’t have concerns regarding adhesive the non named options can be great. Knowing which is which is the issue - hence most play safe & the brands cash in.

Butyl tape by Amazon was the best option I could find - entirely equivalent to dodo IMHo but not in stock :(

For fleece I went Diall, the trans HQ option looks to be identical - not that they would say so & why would they.

For floor foam I got a great deal for Dodo pro liner - so didn’t need to shop about as equivalent price due to a listing mistake.

For vapour barrier I have left over for a housing project - it performs the same function - and it’s free.

The primary thermal liner is ‘unbranded’ but close cell, HPDE of similar density to dodo liner alas the adhesive isn’t as good - but with a heat gun it’s stuck just fine - maybe if will last?

You pays your money & takes your choice!

Last edited:
Am currently stripping back kombi van for insulating /lining.
I see all panels seem to have deafening mats on them so wasn’t planning on any more.
Is there any issues with trimming the original hardboard panels or should I replace with ply?(pros &cons)
Are there any tips for where any of the plastic handles ,seatbelt trim obviously don’t fit when panel is trimmed or do you neatly cut around with a Stanley?
Thx
D

With 3 bank holidays this month, I couldn’t put off starting the van interior any longer. We’re keeping it as a kombi day van and plan to keep the inside as factory look as possible (so no carpet lining}. Ordered Medium Van Kit plus a bit more stuff from DodoMat, v prompt delivery. Also their trim removal tool set and roller (v useful) and panel popper (still haven’t used it). With time and practice, have only broken 1 panel clip so far.
- Sound deadening with Dodo Deaden Hex Mat ~ aiming for 75% coverage per panel (this stuff is heavy and expensive!). Don't think I will use all the Hex mat provided…
- Insulation layer 1 with Themoliner v3 6mm. On ALL the surfaces that will be under panels
- Insulation layer 2 with B&Q Diall recycled bottle insulation. V satisfying to stuff but doesn’t go as far as I thought.
Have proceeded by location, rear side panels both done, made a start on the tailgate this weekend. Can I insulate inside the seat belt pillars and other stealh locations? Still unsure but tempted to try…
This forum is such a great resource, v helpful!

3769C26C-2911-4F1A-BF53-291CF9C0CE68.jpeg

ABCE4B19-6E84-4AAC-8555-314D8C7F2AB3.jpeg

004AF3B3-0743-41D3-8C29-048DB23FE28E.jpeg

67883E16-FFC0-453F-A5E0-35F47B28A6F0.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice work, but why not carpet the panels? It's quite an easy job ( if I can do it anyone can ) and adds to the sound suppression inside the van.

you can get into the back of seat belts and stuff some quilt in there, and round the back pillars, side pillars. I have and I agree, why not carpet the panels. so much nicer. I haven't gone for the full interior as I like seeing the paintwork etc. I will post some pics some time, when I get round to getting them on here,

Nice work, but why not carpet the panels? It's quite an easy job ( if I can do it anyone can ) and adds to the sound suppression inside the van.
Hmmm… I’d thought of it as all or nothing for carpeting. Van carpet can give me the chills, I think it’s a texture thing.
While I definitely don’t want to carpet the metalwork as I like the shine and easy clean, can imagine the panels lined in some kind of fabric. Away to the internet for future research!
thanks Scruffy and Nimrod

There’s lots more materials than your standard carpets now. Harrison trim have all sorts of textures.

Back