Step / Guide / dumping ground to Lining, Sound-Deadening and Insulating

Total coverage, probably 5 boxes of silent coat @ £80 each, 4 rolls of 12mm dodo mat @ £60, 1 roll of 100mm insulation @ £40, a roll of 35mm @ £30 and a tin of adhesive spray @ £5. If you do it yourself that what it would cost plus your time. I bet if you took it somewhere they’d want £1000 on top of whatever they use and you’d be trusting them to do a good job. My advice would be to get stuck in, take your time, set yourself an area to do each weekend.

Good luck

Total coverage, probably 5 boxes of silent coat @ £80 each, 4 rolls of 12mm dodo mat @ £60, 1 roll of 100mm insulation @ £40, a roll of 35mm @ £30 and a tin of adhesive spray @ £5. If you do it yourself that what it would cost plus your time. I bet if you took it somewhere they’d want £1000 on top of whatever they use and you’d be trusting them to do a good job. My advice would be to get stuck in, take your time, set yourself an area to do each weekend.

Good luck
Forgot about the carpet, another 10 tins of adhesive plus your carpet £250

So I have been looking at this for a while now and Dynamat is rated very good, and silent coat every bit as good but half the cost. makes sence to go for silent coat and get better coverage.

I recently spoke to a Guy at Custom Vanz and after reading thier web site and simply said

"Don’t be fooled by companies offering D-Matting, Dynamat or similar as a Sound Deadening Treatment.Whilst these materials will eliminate a small amount off road noise, these materials are anti vibration products used in Audio Installations to stop powerful speakers vibrating panels, door cards and dash trims, ect.They are not dedicated sound deadening products"

So @Buggirl no it wont provide insulation or sound deadening, but it will add weight to the pannels that wiill vibrate due to other vibrations in the van, whether that is due to a sound system or whatever they will deaden vibrations that can be heard as sound. so in all will help.

If you look at my earlier 3 stage sound, insulation and carpet thoughts, it will give you an idea of what I plan. Others will do it differently by filling the voids with a wadding type insulation and this is going to be down to choice for me. and depending on cost i may well do both the silent coat insulator and wadding ... Most are availible as peel and stick. as @superflyguy states maybe peel a wee bit off at a time before attempting to stick down a full sheet. Will be easier to peel off if ya F-up
so are we looking at about £550 to buy the materials for sound proofing a T6. as above is that insulation as well, does the insulation make that much difference or really needed if not a camper. I have read that the whole panel does not need to be covered, yet all pics and chat seem to suggest every bit of floor side and ceiling are getting covered. interesting about different materials doing different things, I am still not certain which works best and at what cost. I know you get what you pay for but it seems easy to get sucked into something that is not quite right. Then there's the carpet or other materials in this area. I don't want the ribbed carpet.

has anybody used the rockwool panels from construction for insulation. the carpet option that looks like a thick felt, what is this called please, and the roof panel options that look like a thin brushed velvet. cheers.

has anybody used the rockwool panels from construction for insulation. the carpet option that looks like a thick felt, what is this called please, and the roof panel options that look like a thin brushed velvet. cheers.
Never heard of anyone using rockwool.

This felt is usually called 4 way stretch carpet - see MVM or Harrisons.
The other stuff is called suedeliner. MVM and Harrisons.

Resurrecting this thread, but if I were to carpet the rear area of my Kombi, (including doing the factory fit bulkhead ) how much carpet would I need?

Also, does anyone know of a match in colour for the carpet on the bulkhead?

Finally finished the sound deadening. Compared with the trauma of the cab roof, the cab floor was easy. This Deadn Duo stuff was so easy to lay and work with - wish I'd done the whole van in it now! It took about 4m to do this space.

IMG_3785.JPG

Can anyone recommend where to source the rear wooden/mdf side panels for a SWB T6 with power sliding doors both sides?

Changing the rear speakers from in the panel to pods.

Cheers for any help.

My wheel arches are not sound deadened, the other areas of the interior are very poorly sound deadened.
it is however panelled and carpeted very nicely.
I'll be doing the panels, roof etc with silent coat, van liner and thermo liner.
is it worth removing the carpet and sound deadening the wheel arches, or leave the carpet alone and sound deaden the outside of the wheel arches?

:mexican wave:

Ladies and Gents,

Any thoughts on advantage of fitting 2mm MLV on top of the factory kombi rubber flooring so the current flooring acts as a decoupler for the MLV

Or should I buy a Dodo Barrier Pro MLV and fit under the factory floor mat ?

The whole of the kombi floor and wheel arches and panels on my T6.1 kombi is already sound deadened with Dodo Hex inside and out. As well as duo liner on roof , doors and panels

Really trying to reduce the road noise as much as possible as I think this is the last thing I can do. :thumbsdown:

TIA

How are people insulating the rear pillars around the rear door? I can’t find any mention of this being insulated?
Many thanks

Access is very limited so theres not much you can do other than some loose insulation stuffed in as best you can

I suppose you could drop something from the roof down through the void then use that to pull a cut length of insulation up into the void ??

Thanks Pauly,
I had considered stuffing it with insulation, I can just get my hand around the corner into there, but wasn't sure if it had a bottom to it or if ther were any electrics in there I might disturbe?

Hi all, what do you guys recommend as the best sound insulation for the interior walls and roof? It’s just a bare interior at the mo that I will be lining out, it’s never going to be a camper and I just want it to be as quiet and comfortable as a family vehicle. TIA

I fully covered all the side panels with butyl sound deadening incl the floor - wouldn’t fully cover nor do the floor if was starting again.

Biggest difference for us was carpet lining the side panels and roof.

Check out Sound Deadening Shop, there may be a 10% off code somewhere on the forum that still works.

Back