ok, i took the battery off and changed the wheel for a very similar one with paddles
now nothing works and loads of errors came on the dash
do i need vag-com to set it all backup ?
or shall i change all the buttons and chrome strip in one but how does it all come off ?
You need to clear airbag faults and do the steering angle setting I think.

Let me have a read of the manual

Q: did you change the control module as well?

Last edited:
its a gloss black wheel from a 2015 passat with flappy paddles same design but flat bottom too
the only difference is the CNL button is Mode as I've mentioned before
perfect fit, same connectors to buttons and airbag (my own airbag)
i think there was an extra wire on the small buttons connector
all the buttons inc tip + - light up with the side/headlights looks nice
but dunt work properly at all
i would swap the buttons and the gloss black/aluminium trim all in one so i have the original set up on the new wheel
but i cant see how to remove it
i bought this one
2015 VW Passat B8 3G Multi-Function Black Leather Steering Wheel 5G0419091AD | eBay

its a gloss black wheel from a 2015 passat with flappy paddles same design but flat bottom too
i would swap the buttons and the gloss black/aluminium trim all in one so i have the original set up on the new wheel
i bought this one
2015 VW Passat B8 3G Multi-Function Black Leather Steering Wheel 5G0419091AD | eBay
Nothing in the manual but lots of discussion on the Ross-tech retrofitting forums mentioning control modules to match and coding and modules with not all the pins etc.

It must work some how as custom vanz have one fitted in there euro 6 raceline van, I think it's a golf gti/r wheel mk7 golfr.jpg

Yes @StudleyGlass but they do it all the time so know the pitfalls and problems so what will take you a couple of days to sort outtakes them a couple of hours. Not sure I'd have got one from Ebay 99 quid seems a little cheap for something that was going on my van.

Yes @StudleyGlass but they do it all the time so know the pitfalls and problems so what will take you a couple of days to sort outtakes them a couple of hours. Not sure I'd have got one from Ebay 99 quid seems a little cheap for something that was going on my van.
its the same as ones at £300 he didnt know what he had it came off a 15 mile car like brand new written off
its about knowledge and equipment this but i will sort it
but i do make nice pastry :D

i bought this one

It just pulls out. Very stiff and hard.....Snigger. pull towards you straight up and not at an angle working your way round slowly.

It just pulls out. Very stiff and hard.....Snigger. pull towards you straight up and not at an angle working your way round slowly.

what the whole lot black part and aluminum part all in one ?
must have to prize it out a bit first with a knife or summat
cant get my sausage fingers in the small groove
scarey stuff

Right people listen up.....
changed the whole cluster (blackgloss/aluminum part/switches) and yes its hard and very stiff to remove
in fact you think it wont come off, there must be some screws ?
NO no screws .. just keep at it
its off ! so refitted the original cluster
can i swear?
Bloody hell it fits onto the flat bottom PASSAT STEERING WHEEL perfect
2 tiny sockets are on the buttons at the back for the paddle - and + just the same on both wheels .. the paddles have tiny cables with plugs on the end
refitted all done
drove up the road
all back to normal no faults
and the Paddles Work
no coding nothing just worked
hey ho
that wheel cost me £80 :):):):):):):):)

£1000 fitted forget it..
if you just want paddles..
buy one of these
VW GOLF MK7 LEATHER MULTIFUNCTION CRUISE CONTROL STEERING WHEEL 5G0 419 091 DJ
use your own air-bag and cluster..
job done..

Last edited:
One very relieved @T6 dork then now the upgrade is done and that it is all working :thumbsup::thumbsup::D. You deserve a medal for bravery in tackling this with little or no guidance. You are a leader in this diy modification. JWD = jolly well done :waving:

Yip, well done indeed.....As i said originally then about the T5 wheel swap it was just plug'n'Play and the same applies to the T6 (No coding or anything required)

In fact, the Golf Mk7 wheel should be a straight swap if the buttons all match up to the original wheel :D

Good Effort @T6 dork....Nice cheap mod

There are 2 types of mk7 golf wheel. Both should fit. Mine is a Polo gti wheel but mk7 golf airbag.

Will see if it fits. The mfsw controls are different shape so won't fit the other style when.

There are 2 types of mk7 golf wheel. Both should fit. Mine is a Polo gti wheel but mk7 golf airbag.

Will see if it fits. The mfsw controls are different shape so won't fit the other style when.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i think as long as your buttons on both wheels are identical in every way its plug and play !

Back