Steering wheel swap

b3oty

Mike Boot
Hi,

I've read several posts on swapping steering wheels, but I can find the answer to my specific question.

I have 2019 euro 6 Trendline with the basic plastic steering wheel with no buttons, but I do have the ACC on the stalk.

I would like to know if I can do a straight simple swap for a wheel from a Mk7 Golf and have the airbag, horn and ACC on the stalk continue to work normally? (I'm not bothered about the buttons on the replacement wheel working, they can be just for show)

Photo below of the type of wheel I'm looking at (it has ACC buttons on it, but I'm hoping I can continue to use the buttons on the stalk instead)

Any help appreciated

Screenshot_20231215-104136.png

It sounds like you’re effectively swapping over a wheel for a wheel, regardless of the electrics on the stalk, so I can’t see a problem with what you’re proposing.

Just swap out the trims so you get the blank steering wheel trim from the Trendline
and your old wheel gets the buttons + wiring from the Golf, and sell it on.

Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you’re effectively swapping over a wheel for a wheel, regardless of the electrics on the stalk, so I can’t see a problem with what you’re proposing.

Just swap out the trims so you get the blank steering wheel trim from the Trendline
and your old wheel gets the buttons + wiring from the Golf, and sell it on.

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the welcome and for your answer.

I agree that it seems like a simple swap and I hope it is, but I got the impression from another post on here that trying to use a wheel with ACC buttons would be problematic if fitted to a van with ACC controls on the stalk.

I don't believe I could swap anything besides the airbag from my current wheel as it looks like one moulded piece, so I would have to keep the buttons on the replacement wheel purely for show (photo of my wheel below)

PXL_20231215_123309688.jpg

Thanks for the welcome and for your answer.

I agree that it seems like a simple swap and I hope it is, but I got the impression from another post on here that trying to use a wheel with ACC buttons would be problematic if fitted to a van with ACC controls on the stalk.

I don't believe I could swap anything besides the airbag from my current wheel as it looks like one moulded piece, so I would have to keep the buttons on the replacement wheel purely for show (photo of my wheel below)

View attachment 222624
I’m sure I’ve seen a post on here where someone with Trendline said that the blank parts was a trim.

Getting buttons coded isn’t impossible, even if you just fit Euro5 buttons so it’s all headunit related and not cruise-control.

You’ve probably seen it here:

Also, if you’re going for looks only, I’d definitely go round and not kidney shaped (just make sure your replacement wheel comes with the airbag, as there are two types depending on the shape / hooks)

Getting buttons coded isn’t impossible, even if you just fit Euro5 buttons so it’s all headunit related and not cruise-control.

You’ve probably seen it here:

I have seen that post thank you. But I'm not bothered about the buttons working, just the airbag, horn and ACC on the stalk.

Also, if you’re going for looks only, I’d definitely go round and not kidney shaped (just make sure your replacement wheel comes with the airbag, as there are two types depending on the shape / hooks)
I'm happy with the kidney shaped airbag to be honest. It is for looks, but mainly for a better feel than the horrible standard plastic.

this button blank is what I was getting at:

Or this pattern part:

How much for that wheel + airbag, out of curiosity?

Back