Starter battery -> charge controller inline fuse

wackro

Hi folks. Apologies if the answer to this has already been given. I've had a few searches and not found a great deal.

I'm in the process of installing a DC-DC charge controller (Renogy DCC30S). I've run a couple of 4 AWG cables into the engine bay via the grommetted holes in the passenger wheel arch. I understand that the positive needs to be fused as close to the battery as possible.
  1. Is there a recommended fuse type + holder for this purpose?
  2. Does it need to be mounted or can it just sit there on the wire?
  3. If so, where is the best mounting point?
I have an appropriately sized ANL fuse and holder (Heschen Car Audio Video Stereo ANL Fuse Holder 0 2 4 Gauge In & Out with 250Amp ANL fuse : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive) but in digging around in the engine bay I can't find an easy place to mount it.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

A midi fuse holder would be fine, inline with the cable Midi/Strip Link Fuse Holder

Out of interest, why are you running 2 cables? If one is -ve don't. Connect the renology to the body of your van, preferably using an OEM ground stud.

Thanks for info on the fuse. Have ordered one of those.

Are you're saying it's OK to run only the +ve to the starter battery, and -ve can go straight to earth? I suppose that will shorten the cable length neeed. You mention OEM earth studs - will the mounting points for the drivers seat do the trick?

I've been following the example diagram in the charge controller's manual, but I'm starting to see that it's more figurative than literal.
1644855439048.png

Back