Speed Limits (again)

Pete C

T30 102bhp camper
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Got a NIP in the post yesterday for the van, 57mph when the limit was apparently 50mph.

This was for a trip we did in Wales last weekend, and I do remember going past the mobile camera, thinking "that's OK, it's a 60mph limit, and I am doing just under 60mph".

I queried it with their call centre yesterday, and got a nice letter in the post this morning (very efficient) saying that there had been an error, and because our van was classified as a Motor Caravan, it was not subject to the lower speed limits. I am going to keep a copy of that letter in the van, as we go to Wales a lot.

It does beg the question that, assuming this is all automated, why didn't the computer pick up the van classification from the DVLA, when it got my address info etc ?

Anyway, all's well that ends well.

Pete

Interesting thread ............. and from a point of complete ignorance and a relatively new owner of a Kombi, are ANY T6 models subject to lower speed limits?

I didn't realise these limits until a couple of weeks ago. I checked in work and none of the drivers new the reduced speed limits, especially as they applied to our work vans!!

I did know about this as a colleague was caught doing 70mph on a national speed limit dual carriage way and was more than angry about it.

I don’t see the point in it to be honest. Is it due to the vehicle weight? As @Pete C pointed out the speed limits don’t apply to camper vans I’ll be trying to get mine changed over ASAP.

I did know about this as a colleague was caught doing 70mph on a national speed limit dual carriage way and was more than angry about it.

I don’t see the point in it to be honest. Is it due to the vehicle weight? As @Pete C pointed out the speed limits don’t apply to camper vans I’ll be trying to get mine changed over ASAP.
I don’t understand the logic behind it ether, i.e. convert to a campervan, which will mean the van permanently runs around at the top end of its permitted weight range, and you are allowed to drive it faster than if you leave it as a van and will usually run well below the weight!!??

Hum .... I can't imagine that the average speed camera can decide what category of vehicle it's seeing so is out only plod in a car that can decide this?

i didn't realise it was 50 in a 60 on single carriageway .I got done for 35 in a 30 the other day with cut off being 34 mph . I think i will get the kombi weighed and hope its under the 2040kg.
Does it need to go to a government weigh bridge or will any do?

i didn't realise it was 50 in a 60 on single carriageway .I got done for 35 in a 30 the other day with cut off being 34 mph . I think i will get the kombi weighed and hope its under the 2040kg.

Don’t think it works like that. It is how the vehicle is initially registered with the DVLA. As it’s a commercial vehicle it can only run at the lower speed limits unless on blue signed motorways.

What does your registration document say it is?

They don’t need to. They snap the reg at what ever speed you are doing and the computer decides if you are speeding or not by checking how it is registered. The only one where any doubt would lie is if a police man gets you at 70mph on a dual carriageway and decides to pull you over and do the checks.

They don’t need to. They snap the reg at what ever speed you are doing and the computer decides if you are speeding or not by checking how it is registered. The only one where any doubt would lie is if a police man gets you at 70mph on a dual carriageway and decides to pull you over and do the checks.

But do they ?

I normally drive past at the speed limit smiling and waving...

Having a beer this week with a mate who used to be a plod - I'll ask him

Back