Spare wheel carrier: Maximum spare wheel size?

Called Seikel a couple of hours ago and they say the 18" rim doesn't fit. ;-(

Any more info on using 2x standard carriers?
Head over here for a couple of versions:

(although this is a budget tyre and not a GG but still same circumference
What do you mean by this - Not a GG, but isn't that what you have, General Grabber? I had these on my Defender, and liked them.

yes I have 4 x gg and a budget spare tyre ??? I thought it was clear sorry !!
Ahhh, got it, thanks.

I'm guessing this means you don't rotate your tires regularly. I know I should rotate, but I often don't.

Just curious if anyone has got an 8" wide rim into the stock spare wheel carrier?
I've noticed on the vehicle tyre spec decal it lists a 255/45 R18 xl 103H 8jx18.

And I read somewhere the standard wheel carrier on a T6 can fit up to 7jx17.

So I'm a little confused. Will the spare wheel carrier fit an 8" wide wheel without modification?

It’s not about the wheel size up to a point, but mainly the tyre. As the overall width and diameter of the tyre increases over standard, then it becomes less likely to fit.

There is no need to carry the same size spare as is on the van. It just needs to get you somewhere for repair, unless you are 4motion.

A 235 (235/25.4 = 9 1/4”) is a factory option for a Transporter as are 18” wheels on a Sportline.
There are two positions on the standard carrier, adjusted by the hinge pin on the forward side.
Plenty of info on the Forum, have a Search
Some companies will modify the carrier (in UK anyway).

Reactions: JOG
It’s not about the wheel size up to a point, but mainly the tyre. As the overall width and diameter of the tyre increases over standard, then it becomes less likely to fit.

There is no need to carry the same size spare as is on the van. It just needs to get you somewhere for repair, unless you are 4motion.
Yeah I have a 4motion.

A 235 (235/25.4 = 9 1/4”) is a factory option for a Transporter as are 18” wheels on a Sportline.
There are two positions on the standard carrier, adjusted by the hinge pin on the forward side.
Plenty of info on the Forum, have a Search
Some companies will modify the carrier (in UK anyway).
So do you think I would be able to fit a 235/70 R16 in the wheel carrier with an 8" wide Rim?

well lads that's been an education, I'll let all that sink in and be back in touch when I get round to dealing with the tyres. Someone recently told me not to mount the spare tyre on the back door as it would not be able to take the weight, what's your thoughts on this. Ill be looking for all terrain ones for myself so suspect they may be on the heavier side and too large for the under carrier.

I also just found this if its useful to anyone Screenshot 2022-11-21 at 18.03.38.png

Last edited:
well lads that's been an education, I'll let all that sink in and be back in touch when I get round to dealing with the tyres. Someone recently told me not to mount the spare tyre on the back door as it would not be able to take the weight, what's your thoughts on this. Ill be looking for all terrain ones for myself so suspect they may be on the heavier side and too large for the under carrier.

I also just found this if its useful to anyone View attachment 179923
This looks seems similar to the Seikel aftermarket version.

Back