swamper over sized wheel carrier

Bynxy

VIP Member
T6 Pro
How do you carrier your over sized spare wheel

I am looking for a rear carrier like like the HESS Automobile carrier system but I can't get hold of the bike rack as a starting point
HESS Wheel carrier system

I was looking at the over sized under wheel carrier but want to fit LPG tank in its space

Did you adapt it yourself?
I did. Basically lowered the hinge end to the lowest setting, cut the front end and added in (welded) 30mm section.
If you want to discuss in detail the pm me and we can exchange telephone numbers

I saw those. They look good but I wouldn’t want to block out the window.
Certainly is the downside BUT I do plan to have one of those reverse/rear view mirror cameras installed where it permantly shows you the rear view

I reckon you'd soon get used to not seeing much out of the rear window.

When I bought my van with its panel tailgate I worried it might be difficult and was thinking about putting a window in but now that I've driven it for a few months it doesn't bother me at all anymore.

I did. Basically lowered the hinge end to the lowest setting, cut the front end and added in (welded) 30mm section.
If you want to discuss in detail the pm me and we can exchange telephone numbers
I'd be very interested in seeing how you made this mod. Would you be kind enough to post some photos of what you did?

Hi Yelmarb - on Danny’s advice I took mine to a nearby shop. I ordered a second wheel carrier to do it in case I wanted to swap it back one day, and only realised later that my current spare wheel has a locking nut and I don’t have the key (should have checked when I bought the van!), so I’m still waiting to fit it and see if it works. Here are the pics though. My first impressions are that the guy cut it at the wrong angle so that it forms more of a ‘Z’ than clean right angles. Makes it just a little too snug on the new wheel. I’ll let you know how I get on when I finally get it fitted.

765A3D35-286E-4614-885E-09EE506D5EA1.jpeg

5BE9A405-DA7F-4613-8773-B99014E95E4B.jpeg

EF6542B9-E11A-4FF8-BAB2-6EF680F46D0D.jpeg

Here’s my cut & shut basically bought a second carrier for £20 on eBay chopped it up to extend the length and depth. Pics or idea are not mine but works a treat on BFG’s 245/65/17 and once it’s sprayed, looks factory C29ACFC2-58BA-4F05-9DD5-9613FBD42A18.jpegCF9687A8-0F25-461B-BF0C-3A0DC79BCEA0.jpeg

Hi Yelmarb - on Danny’s advice I took mine to a nearby shop. I ordered a second wheel carrier to do it in case I wanted to swap it back one day, and only realised later that my current spare wheel has a locking nut and I don’t have the key (should have checked when I bought the van!), so I’m still waiting to fit it and see if it works. Here are the pics though. My first impressions are that the guy cut it at the wrong angle so that it forms more of a ‘Z’ than clean right angles. Makes it just a little too snug on the new wheel. I’ll let you know how I get on when I finally get it fitted.

View attachment 154125

View attachment 154126

View attachment 154127
Did he get a six year old to do the welding?!! Not even run over it with a grinder to make it look smoother?!!

BTW - I can’t weld for toffee!!!!

Back