Spare wheel carrier: Maximum spare wheel size?

Following on - I cut 2 short lengths of SS pipe at 450mm long. Lowered the carrier and located the anti-theft device onto the carrier and around the SS pipe. Greased the threads of both bolts then inserted the 90mm security bolt through the carrier, then through the ant-theft device, then through the SS pipe and engaged it in the threads on the carrier bracket. Once the 90mm bolt had gone into place a short way I put the second shorter bolt through the carrier, then through the SS pipe and entered it into the threads on the carrier bracket. I tightened each bolt evenly until each respective section of SS pipe was clamped and sandwiched tight between the carrier and the carrier bracket at the same time shrouding and protecting the exposed length of the 2 threaded carrier bolts. The carrier is now bolted up tight to the carrier bracket without compressing the side walls of the 17" spare tyre. I will in due course change the shorter bolt for another 90mm bolt which will make life easier when accessing the spare.

View attachment 155760

View attachment 155761

View attachment 155762

View attachment 155763

View attachment 155764
Nice and simple. Neat work - well done you

That will be really tight under there, if it will even fit . The width will squeeze…..just, it’s the diameter - it’s 40mm bigger across the circumstance than a 275/35/20 - which we do a modified bracket for, and is a real squeeze.

If you went for 235-55-18 that would work. This so the size we use for the lowered swamper look and is available for all weight ratings.
Hi Bognor motors - it would be really helpful if you could confirm that 235/55R18 tyre/wheel combo fits in a T6.1 standard wheel well? I'm planning to buy AT tyres in this size and this could mean i get 5 of them, and have a proper spare wheel/tyre for my 4-motion.
Thanks!

For what it's worth - in case you're still choosing your wheel size - we have BFG 225/65R17 KO2 A/T tyres/wheels and they're good. BUT a new one will JUST fit in the spare well and even then, only if it is deflated; a well-worn one (20000km) fitted OK without deflating. If it's really tight then you may need a jack to push it up there! And a loop of rope left around it, to pull it down with when you want it. Good luck.

For what it's worth - in case you're still choosing your wheel size - we have BFG 225/65R17 KO2 A/T tyres/wheels and they're good. BUT a new one will JUST fit in the spare well and even then, only if it is deflated; a well-worn one (20000km) fitted OK without deflating. If it's really tight then you may need a jack to push it up there! And a loop of rope left around it, to pull it down with when you want it. Good luck.
Cheers - saw that post above. I'm in Aus too. But if the 18" wheels and 235/55R18 fit in the wheel carrier, AND are closer to the original circumference (meaning gearing and speedo will be more accurate) then its a clear winner for me. Used 18" amarok alloys are plentiful on gumtree and cheap.

Cheers - saw that post above. I'm in Aus too. But if the 18" wheels and 235/55R18 fit in the wheel carrier, AND are closer to the original circumference (meaning gearing and speedo will be more accurate) then its a clear winner for me. Used 18" amarok alloys are plentiful on gumtree and cheap.
Glad you had the 18" choice. In our case the increased
diameter was still legal, and exactly cancelled out our speedometer error :)

Heading back to South America for the 3rd time, but first time with a van. I'm purchasing a T6.1 with Locking Rear Differential (1Y4), though they seem to come with 255/45 R18 tires. The problem is BFG and the other major companies don't seem to make an All Terrain 255/45 R18 tire, or similar size.

Some people use the 255/55 R18, but I've read the spare doesn't fit underneath - this is not an option.... Do I need to get different rims??

What other size All Terrain tires/rims would work well, and still fit the spare wheel well below?

255:55 18.png

South America.png

I have 245/65/R17 BFG's on my T6 with no suspension mods. A fully inflated spare fits underneath with a small mod to the carrier and plastic tray no problem and they are a larger diameter than the 18's and only a bit narrower. HTH

I have 245/65/R17 BFG's on my T6 with no suspension mods. A fully inflated spare fits underneath with a small mod to the carrier and plastic tray no problem and they are a larger diameter than the 18's and only a bit narrower. HTH
Thanks. They look pretty close. What do you mean by "small mod" - just a bit of filing down, or...?

245:65 r17.png

Well you could buy the official underslung Seikel oversize tyre kit for transporters or cut and shut 2 standard carriers and trim the plastic tray as in their instructions

Heading back to South America for the 3rd time, but first time with a van. I'm purchasing a T6.1 with Locking Rear Differential (1Y4), though they seem to come with 255/45 R18 tires. The problem is BFG and the other major companies don't seem to make an All Terrain 255/45 R18 tire, or similar size.

Some people use the 255/55 R18, but I've read the spare doesn't fit underneath - this is not an option.... Do I need to get different rims??

What other size All Terrain tires/rims would work well, and still fit the spare wheel well below?

View attachment 176283
That’s one heck of a trip. I’m surprised you’re not buying a crafter for the extra space

That’s one heck of a trip. I’m surprised you’re not buying a crafter for the extra space
We've tried many different options for our travels, and everything has it's pros/cons: 2x motorcycles, 2up on a motorcycle, a Defender with roof tent, Defender with adventure camper, and now a coach built Jumper.

The Defender was great for Africa/Europe, but now we have a dog and prefer a van configuration, so selling the Defender.
(DefenderGlamping.com)

We'll keep the Jumper for European travel. I found it's great for wild camping and looking term travel, but realized we also don't interact with locals as much because we're self contained.

In South America, locals don't really camp so to interact the way I like to, we'll mostly be staying in small guest houses. The Ocean is great for making lunch on the road, and camping when in National Parks and other beautiful places - like when we were there on motorcycles.

For this trip I want to be more nimble (2m high x 5m long), mobile with 4-motion and rear diff lock, while still comfy when camping. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Screenshot_20220512-180933_Photos.jpg

Cappadocia Cool.jpeg

Screenshot_20221017_160042.jpg

Well you could buy the official underslung Seikel oversize tyre kit for transporters or cut and shut 2 standard carriers and trim the plastic tray as in their instructions
Called Seikel a couple of hours ago and they say the 18" rim doesn't fit. ;-(

Any more info on using 2x standard carriers?

Back