Spare wheel carrier: Maximum spare wheel size?

So I've read somewhere that some tyre sizes will fit in the stock spare wheel carrier if deflated first and then pumped up while in the spare wheel carrier. (Can't seem to find where I read it.)

Does anyone know what size of tyre that would be?

Would the 235/70 R16 be one of those sizes?

Just curious if anyone has got an 8" wide rim into the stock spare wheel carrier?
I've noticed on the vehicle tyre spec decal it lists a 255/45 R18 xl 103H 8jx18.

And I read somewhere the standard wheel carrier on a T6 can fit up to 7jx17.

So I'm a little confused. Will the spare wheel carrier fit an 8" wide wheel without modification?
My new T6.1 came with 18" alloys and no spare as I was told the 8" rim is too wide

My new T6.1 came with 18" alloys and no spare as I was told the 8" rim is too wide
That's interesting..... I've just ordered an 8" rim that I was hoping to fit into the spare wheel carrier. Might have to look into a modified spare wheel carrier then. Though my dealership gave me the rear wing doors instead of a tailgate which I think was a mistake on their part that they tried to bullshit their way out of. I wouldn't put it past them that this is a lie too. I will find out soon enough once my wheels arrive later this week, I'll see if they fit.

That's interesting..... I've just ordered an 8" rim that I was hoping to fit into the spare wheel carrier. Might have to look into a modified spare wheel carrier then. Though my dealership gave me the rear wing doors instead of a tailgate which I think was a mistake on their part that they tried to bullshit their way out of. I wouldn't put it past them that this is a lie too. I will find out soon enough once my wheels arrive later this week, I'll see if they fit.
Please keep us in the loop. I've had mine only a few days and still learning.

Please keep us in the loop. I've had mine only a few days and still learning.
Just an update.

So I got the new wheels.

I told the tyre guys that the carrier will need to be adjusted to the wider setting, and may need to be inserted deflated.

I can see that the carrier hadn't been adjusted to the wider setting so I assume they just couldn't be bothered to figure it out and gave up.

I will try to make it fit myself later when I have some time.

So I finally dropped the spare wheel carrier to the wider setting. And I can confirm on my vehicle there is no way an 8" rim will fit. It would still need to drop another 10mm at least.

I didn't get a carrier or spare with my sport line which was delivered a couple weeks back, is this normal?

I didn't get a carrier or spare with my sport line which was delivered a couple weeks back, is this normal?
Yes.
Side note - is it better to fit the spare wheel face up or face down? Every pic I see is face down…?

Im in Australia and have a new T6.1 Multivan (2022). Not sure what you call them in the UK. No spare, instead they give you a tyre repair kit and pump etc. which I know will let me down when I tear a tyre. So spare is essential. Dont want to hang it on the tailgate, its electric and will stuff the motor I am sure. So its either inside or under. The wheel space under the car measures 72cm diameter (rough), I dont have all the bracket bits under the van either.
Was looking at going big wheel combo (19x8 with 235/55r19 AT tyres, like Yokahama Geolander G015), however the wheel diameter on them is over 74cm. so that is an inside the van only, option. So looks like I need to go slightly smaller (18x8 with 235/55r18) which comes in at 71.5cm diameter, so with the deflated trick, I should be able to fit underneath. Heaps more AT tyre options with an 18" wheel.

Im in Australia and have a new T6.1 Multivan (2022). Not sure what you call them in the UK. No spare, instead they give you a tyre repair kit and pump etc. which I know will let me down when I tear a tyre. So spare is essential. Dont want to hang it on the tailgate, its electric and will stuff the motor I am sure. So its either inside or under. The wheel space under the car measures 72cm diameter (rough), I dont have all the bracket bits under the van either.
Was looking at going big wheel combo (19x8 with 235/55r19 AT tyres, like Yokahama Geolander G015), however the wheel diameter on them is over 74cm. so that is an inside the van only, option. So looks like I need to go slightly smaller (18x8 with 235/55r18) which comes in at 71.5cm diameter, so with the deflated trick, I should be able to fit underneath. Heaps more AT tyre options with an 18" wheel.
I like to go off-road and having a taller sidewall is important to me.

I just went from 255/45r18 from factory (no spare) to 225/65r17 BFGs on steels last week. No suspension lift, better sidewall height, and 5th/spare wheel fits underneath - I need to buy a bar. Speedo and gps/nav now in synch.

This Friday I'm taking to 4x4 training course so we'll see how non-lifted van does in terrain with respect to any rubbing.

I used www.tiresize.com to compare tires, and www.WillTheyFit.com to look at rims and ET offset.

The last image compares my new tires to the ones you're planning (I added sizes in orange text).

20230427_105945.jpg

20230427_111646.jpg

20230427_112135.jpg

Screenshot_20230427_213730.jpg

Screenshot_20230427_213842.jpg

Screenshot_20230502_054022.jpg

BTW, this was in March - those narrow sidewalls had me nervous, and I did get a nail puncture after the Sahara.

Fortunately the ABS sensors picked up the deflation and I made it to a tire repair shop where I had them put a mushroom plug from inside.

Did quite a bit more off-road in Morocco after and wasn't thrilled not having a spare...

20230316_130424.jpg

Screenshot_20230502_060247.jpg

Screenshot_20230502_060458.jpg

Screenshot_20230502_060800.jpg

I like to go off-road and having a taller sidewall is important to me.

I just went from 255/45r18 from factory (no spare) to 225/65r17 BFGs on steels last week. No suspension lift, better sidewall height, and 5th/spare wheel fits underneath - I need to buy a bar. Speedo and gps/nav now in synch.

This Friday I'm taking to 4x4 training course so we'll see how non-lifted van does in terrain with respect to any rubbing.

I used www.tiresize.com to compare tires, and www.WillTheyFit.com to look at rims and ET offset.

The last image compares my new tires to the ones you're planning (I added sizes in orange text).

View attachment 197835

View attachment 197836

View attachment 197837

View attachment 197838

View attachment 197839

View attachment 197840

Let us know how you get on with the 4x4 course.

Does anyone know if a 215/65 R17 will fit in the spare wheen carrier? Specificly using Bridgestone Blizzak LM 005 215/65 R17 103H XL on factory 17" devonports
Going for 65 over 60 as i need the 103 load rating for t32, but now i'm concerned if the spare wheel will fit

Does anyone know if a 215/65 R17 will fit in the spare wheen carrier? Specificly using Bridgestone Blizzak LM 005 215/65 R17 103H XL on factory 17" devonports
Going for 65 over 60 as i need the 103 load rating for t32, but now i'm concerned if the spare wheel will fit

Thanks for the info Tim !! That is exactly what I need to know.

Can I direct you to a thread:
Spare wheel cartier/Maximum wheel size. In that thread I have also detailed the measures I have deployed to secure the spare from theft overnight or from crowded car park, these measures are also relivant to accomodating a larger spare wheel. I hope this helps.

Folks,

I have a 2018 t6 highline originally factory built on 16” rims.

I have upgraded the wheels to 20” and also the front discs and callipers to 340mm.I’ve been told the 16” spare will not fit now.

question does anyone know if the spare wheel carrier will accept a 17” rim shod with with a 215/60 or 220/55 tyre ?
Hi. As said a while ago, below, my 17inch 225/65 tyres (when new) only fit in the carrier if deflated. If I have the arithmetic right, both a 220/55 and 215/60 will have a smaller diameter (less than 90% of my figure) so should be a lot looser. But you should probably check my interpretation of the figures. Good luck.

As earlier today, a 215/65 should be smaller (about 95% the diameter) than a 225/65 which only fits if deflated. Should work. Good luck.

My 225/65 R17 BFG K02 fits using factory holder, and the 225 is slightly larger

Screenshot_20230827_080220_Viber.jpg

Back