Semi flexible Solar panel & MC4 connectors

andy greenwood

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I'm about to buy a semi flexible solar panel that comes with MC4 connectors and also a victron 75/15 mppt controller. Rather than drill a big hole in the pop top to feed through the MC4 cables Is it OK to simply cut off the MC4 connectors so that I can drill 2 x 5mm holes in the pop top and then run the solar panel cables through. Then once the cables are through the 5mm holes in the pop top I can feed them inside the van & then i can connect the 2 cables from are coming from the victron controller. Does that sound feasible?

I'm about to buy a semi flexible solar panel that comes with MC4 connectors and also a victron 75/15 mppt controller. Rather than drill a big hole in the pop top to feed through the MC4 cables Is it OK to simply cut off the MC4 connectors so that I can drill 2 x 5mm holes in the pop top and then run the solar panel cables through. Then once the cables are through the 5mm holes in the pop top I can feed them inside the van & then i can connect the 2 cables from are coming from the victron controller. Does that sound feasible?
Thats what I did but I put MC4 connectors back on as my cables were not long enough.

MC4 connectors are good but they are rated for outdoor use and permanent connection (always find them under solar panels on roofs) if you are connecting inside the van not sure I would worry too much about refitting them, as long as you make a good sound permanent connection you will be fine

Don't cut!!!!!
Don't need to cut them off, just undo them and the pin will go through any gland/hole that the cable will go through.

The pins are barbed an lock into the connector housing.

I normally cut them off and re pin.

But you may be able to coax them out with a home made de pin tool?

Screenshot_20220706-054312_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220706-054322_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220706-054330_Chrome.jpg

I Cut of the MC, drilled neat 5mm holes through roof but outside of tented area, bit of silicon there, and used wago to connect up under pop roof outside tent area but still outside of original metal roof. Great for changing from parallel panels to series if you want more than one panel now or in future. Also easy to use as an isolator if you ever need to. Wago 41A 3-Way Lever Connectors 30 Pack

Back