Solar Panel: Cutting Hole in Roof !!!

About to start replacing my 150W solar panel that has died after 4 years of use.

Just wondering how many tubes of Sikaflex people are using to fit their panels?

assuming one? , if that, per 100w panel?

so for a 150w id look at two tubes.?

or double sided 3m,

or 3m HD Velcro.

+++++++

got some pics of the old one?

you sticking new one over? or removing old one?

you used vinyl wrap to make removing easier?

Removing old one first.

No vinyl wrap used by the previous installer.

Looks to have a bead down each ridge and then another down each edge of the panel where it is raised off the roof.

Cheese wire. . . . Aka. fishing line, cotton thread, string will cut through that.

Then see what's left.

Plastic scraper, wd40, etc etc on what's left.

Yeah, that was the plan. :thumbsup:

Just looking at Sikaflex 221, 522, Tigerseal etc. etc. to see which one is best and how much I'll need.

Can anyone recommend an IP68 gland that I can put solar CONNECTORS through?

Using this one below would mean I'd need to butcher the connectors and re-attach after passing the cables through the gland.

PXL_20230817_163102739.jpg

Can anyone recommend an IP68 gland that I can put solar CONNECTORS through?

Using this one below would mean I'd need to butcher the connectors and re-attach after passing the cables through the gland.

View attachment 210073
You should be able to release the pins out of the shells on the MC4 connectors, pass them through the glands & put the shells back on.

You should be able to release the pins out of the shells on the MC4 connectors, pass them through the glands & put the shells back on.
Ye I saw a YouTube video of someone taking one apart. Looks easy with the cheaper cables, like the one in my first picture. But it seems the sleeve is buried a bit deeper inside the Renogy connectors, see below.

Nervous about hacking away at it, especially now that the panel is bonded to my roof for the next million years.

PXL_20230818_153042859.jpg

PXL_20230818_153507572.jpg

Back