Roof wrap for solar panel- whole roof or panel coverage?

widu13

Retired Bobby
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi All,

I'm going to fit a flexi solar panel in the next few weeks. For those in the know, will an oversize panel of wrap on the roof hold down a glued panel or would I need to have the whole roof wrapped?

oversize vinyl wrap will do it.

1630154218033.png1630154231058.png

Having just peeled a dud flexi panel off my roof that was stuck onto wrap, I've no worries about sticking one to a wrap footprint. I'd just make the wrap 25mm bigger than the panel.

how easy did it come off?

any paint damage?

would you recommend people use wrap if sticking to roof?

what wrapp did you use?

did you fit it yourself or get a firm to do it?

what adhesive did you usae? (sika, dbl tape, velco etc etc)

any pics of the process?

Hi All,

I'm going to fit a flexi solar panel in the next few weeks. For those in the know, will an oversize panel of wrap on the roof hold down a glued panel or would I need to have the whole roof wrapped?
Or stick the panel on with Velcro.

how easy did it come off? Pretty easily

any paint damage? Nope

would you recommend people use wrap if sticking to roof? Absolutely

what wrapp did you use? Dunno, I didn’t put it on, I think it was 3M

did you fit it yourself or get a firm to do it? See above

what adhesive did you usae? (sika, dbl tape, velco etc etc) Sika

any pics of the process? Sorry, no.
The wrap was applied when the previous flexi panel was fitted. I scored the wrap around the dud panel & pulled the lot off. The new rigid panel is bigger than the failed flexi, so the new panel covers the gap in the wrap.
A64C3BEC-7716-4533-BBB2-9F77B06FAE8E.jpeg3AB9472C-BB7B-4B64-A9B4-B303F53AE4D2.jpeg

If it does whistle, I can’t hear it.
Used Puraflex40 to stick it to the vinyl, air gap underneath to help keep the panel cool and the water can run freely underneath.

Latest (amended) fitting recommendations from PV Logic. View attachment 128586

This is more or less what I have done on a Photonic Universe 180W panel on a Reimo pop top roof. I did seal the front edge and taper the sealant on the front edge. The sides were left open and a central gap left at the rear.

I embedded 4mm slices of 8mm soft silicon pipe in the adhesive to ensure a 4mm air gap was created under the panel to maintain ventilation and drainage. (It is too easy to press the panel down too far if spacers are not used).

The thicker adhesive beads also ensure there is allowable movement due to expansion and contraction due to temperature changes. The use of soft silicon spacers prevented any 'hard spots'.

I used Sikaflex 292i to bond the PV panel down. This adhesive also provides joint flexibility when applied at the correct thickness.

Sorry to bring up an old thread. Has anyone else used a wrap recently under their solar panel install, if so could you specify a good clear wrap or manufacturer you used? There are so many available options online but I obviously want it to be a good quality wrap on the roof as this is what will hold the solar panel down when the panel is glued to the top of the wrap.

I don't think 3M make a clear 1080 vinyl, but I used matt black 1080 vinyl wrap on mine, about an inch larger all round than the solar panel. The vinyl has grooves in the adhesive side to assist air removal when fitting, once on, the vinyl should be heated to around 100 degrees to 'set' the adhesive.
I used knifeless tape to edge the area I wanted covered, radiused corners help stop the chance of the corners lifting, I enlisted the assistance of a couple of mates to hold the sheet once the backing was removed and as I pressed the vinyl down they lowered the sheet so I could advance the stuck edge, a low heat air gun and a felt pad works wonders for smoothing it into any curves.
Once the sheet is stuck down, pull the cord out of the knifeless tape which cuts the vinyl and remove the tape backing before the final heat treatment to stick it down on the edges.

Last edited:
Back