Solar Input - Method

widu13

Retired Bobby
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi All,

I'm trying out a folding solar panel to see how I get on with it. It's a 120w and as we move about often, I don't think I'll need bigger. It comes as a kit with a cheap and nasty Eco Worthy 20A PWM controller (yes I know, if the trial is successful, I'll swap it out for a decent MPPT). I have a Sargent EC155 which does not have a solar input on it.

Being a folding panel is comes pre-prepped with clamp connectors which I'm not to going to use, as the battery is a bit of a bind to get to, so I want to permanently wire in the input to a socket. This question is simply what is the best plug and connector to use?

I want to place the socket on the furniture somewhere so there are no trailing wires on an MC4 connector. I was thinking of a suitably rated DIN (Hella) socket. Would there be anything better or just more suitable than a DIN plug and socket?

Have a look at these..... dj/pa gear.

Powercon & speakon.

@Loz has used them for solar.

Screenshot_20200126-135520_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200126-135449_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200126-135652_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200126-135618_Chrome.jpg

Hi All,

I'm trying out a folding solar panel to see how I get on with it. It's a 120w and as we move about often, I don't think I'll need bigger. It comes as a kit with a cheap and nasty Eco Worthy 20A PWM controller (yes I know, if the trial is successful, I'll swap it out for a decent MPPT). I have a Sargent EC155 which does not have a solar input on it.

Being a folding panel is comes pre-prepped with clamp connectors which I'm not to going to use, as the battery is a bit of a bind to get to, so I want to permanently wire in the input to a socket. This question is simply what is the best plug and connector to use?

I want to place the socket on the furniture somewhere so there are no trailing wires on an MC4 connector. I was thinking of a suitably rated DIN (Hella) socket. Would there be anything better or just more suitable than a DIN plug and socket?
You can get 8 & 16A rated DIN/Hella plugs & sockets. You can then use it as an output as well as an input. I use DIN sockets rather than traditional cig plugs & sockets which are pants. I just carry an adapter incase of any legacy cig socket requirements.

Surely you have a standard cigarette-lighter socket? yes they're pants but if its already there....

Not very secure though Phil and often temperamental. DIN was my first thought but on a long length of thick cable hanging out of it, I'm a little concerned that it will pull on the socket/plug joint.

I have an IP67 waterproof DIN socket mounted under the van near the side door. We use it to power the second beer fridge when we’re in warmer climes. You could use this & save running cables through doors / windows etc

I have an IP67 waterproof DIN socket mounted under the van near the side door. We use it to power the second beer fridge when we’re in warmer climes. You could use this & save running cables through doors / windows etc
Got a few pics of that setup?

That's a good idea, but the plan for my panel is to put it on the dashboard if we leave the van, but a socket by the drivers door on the run of units might be goer.

Back