Routing for solar suitcase?

Boppypop

I have in hand a new toy - 100w Renogy folding solar suitcase, and Victron MPPT 75/15 ready to set up (thanks to some great advice from here)

Does anyone have good routes to run the leads to outside? My battery is underneath the drivers seat, and the most obvious location for the MPPT is opposite the battery on the unit housing the fridge as this is the only nearby solid surface.

How are you running your cabling to the panels (which need to be movable around the outside of the van depending on orientation of camp)

I was thinking of somehow exiting the van to somewhere I can store MC4 connectors protected for travel and easily accessible, ready to attach an extension then run that to the panels wherever they need to be.

Any ideas?

I really dont want to be trailing cables from the sliding door as have kids running about...

As a side issue, the panels already have a short cable MC4 connection so this will be 2 sets of MC4 connections before it reaches the MPPT, will this cause any issue of power loss?

I’ve run mine up the b pillar under the ceiling and out of the grommets that are used for tailgate hinge as I have barn doors- the connectors are held out of the way until I need them for my portable solar panel which I can throw on the roof

View attachment 173188

View attachment 173191View attachment 173190
that's a cleaver idea...

though i would suggest that you fit the mating half of those connectors. ( while the lead is not in use)

and in those connectors fill with silicone or a small piece of PV cable to weatherproof them.

I've had issues with unplugged connectors being left outside in the elements over the wet winter and corrosion setting in.

by the following season the MC4 connectors were dull from corrosion and pitted with white and green powder, that caused a poor connection and further loss of power.

i tried to scratch them clean, . . . . but ultimately ended up cutting them off and replacing them.

remember the MC4 connector is only waterproof when both half's are connected.

that's a cleaver idea...

though i would suggest that you fit the mating half of those connectors. ( while the lead is not in use)

and in those connectors fill with silicone or a small piece of PV cable to weatherproof them.

I've had issues with unplugged connectors being left outside in the elements over the wet winter and corrosion setting in.

by the following season the MC4 connectors were dull from corrosion and pitted with white and green powder, that caused a poor connection and further loss of power.

i tried to scratch them clean, . . . . but ultimately ended up cutting them off and replacing them.

remember the MC4 connector is only waterproof when both half's are connected.
Great minds and all that, since I took the photos I have added the mating half’s with a small length of cable to ensure water can’t get into the connectors :)

Anderson Power Pole connectors and be used - but id stick with below 8-10A on these. . .

fitted on a trailing lead. . .

I've seen this lead passed through the grommet under the drivers seat and come out under the van - ready for a quick connection.

+++

+++

1663745333768.png

I have wind deflectors and route mine out that way. The only downside was whilst the passenger seat was rotated, and disconnected, I switched the ignition on to drop the windows and now have the airbag warning light on ...

I plan to route a pair of cables through the driver's side firewall once my battery is housed under the driver's seat when I fit my diesel heater in a few weeks.

@VanDamMan has a set of patch leads in the engine bay ready for a quick connection.

routed through the firewall to his MPPT under the drivers seat.
That sounds tidy

Does anyone know if the grommet route in passenger wheel arch or behind glovebox will fit the mc4 connectors through or will I have to cut and refit once through?

(Not physically with van to check at moment as in hospital with youngest)
@VanDamMan has a set of patch leads in the engine bay ready for a quick connection.

routed through the firewall to his MPPT under the drivers seat.

That sounds tidy

Does anyone know if the grommet route in passenger wheel arch or behind glovebox will fit the mc4 connectors through or will I have to cut and refit once through?

(Not physically with van to check at moment as in hospital with youngest)
Yes it should do. I routed a beefy mains electric cable from my EHU to a multiway socket in the cabin. You might have to push one connector through at a time.

Back