Sliding-Door Step Light Connection [Merge]

-ve is switched. +ve is permanent

My camper is already converted from a PV a Kombi step without power is already fitted and I also want to fit a rear interior light powered from the vehicle. Reading the forums, it appears that I should be able to find wiring above the slider and at the top (some say bottom) of the B pillar. What I ideally want is a switched supply which I think the rear light in the load compartment may have been or is is a simple pos/neg? My T5 load light was switched, but I can't remember where the wiring went.

To save me doing unnecessary investigation and pulling panels and carpeting about, could someone please point me to exactly where I can pick up a switched feed

If you want the step light to work as a courtesy light you can take a feed from the OEM light in the roof and feed it down the B pillar.

Do you mean in the cab? The rear load light is no longer- it's an elevating roof camper. If I go from the front I might as well go from behind the glove box.

The courtesy light feed will come from the plugs behind the glove box, up the A pillar and over the passenger door and along into the back of the van. Before the conversion there would have been two lights in the back. One above where the seats would be in a Kombi and one further back in the load space. The converter will either of coiled the leads up or stretched them out so they could be anywhere down the side of the van. There’s 3 wires you need to look for. Red/Black +12v (timed). Brown -ve (permanent) and Brown/Red -ve (switched)

Quick one. I have fitted an interior rear light from the loom, but I have tried to run wire down the C pillar but discover that it the inner wheel arch across is and there is no access :mad: Is it normal to run the wire along the step and connect at the B pillar, or am I missing something at the C pillar?

Last edited:
Step lights come down the b pillar.

All done and everything put back. That the 4th time in 2 days I had the damn B pillar off. I thought I could go up the C pillar and to be fair with more perseverance I could. Where the inner wheel arch meets the upright it appears to be connected there with flexible body filler. I was making some progress poking through it but in the end it defeated me and I ran underneath the step as it normal (I now know!). I fitted a rear load light on the sloped part of the ceiling underneath the bed board at the top of the C pillar and actually took the feed for the step light from there as well, simply because the was more room. Blimey cutting the sloping bit was difficult without know what was there- multitool and very light cuts!

Thanks to all.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm installing a step light and can't find the correct wire to tap off.

I've read on here that for the interior lights that activate/de activate once the doors are open and closed, the +ve wire is a red/black stripe.

Where would the easiest place to pick this up from?

I have nice headlining that id rather keep in one piece as I'd assume a feed would be up in the roof?

Thanks in advance
Joe

the courtesy circuit wiring comes from BCM under the dash to the the coloured square plugs in the side of the passenger foot well , up the A pillar, across the cab roof lining and along to the back of the van. You should be able to see the wiring loom at the top of the passenger B pillar, the wires you need are as follows

Red/black stripe - +ve from the BCM that times out after 20 - 60 minutes
Brown/red stripe - -ve from the BCM that comes on when the doors are opened/unlocked

Back