Sliding door card panels - retrofit

This is from the Haynes T5 Manual, how to remove the card. So work backwards, doorcard, upper trim, then lock trim, locking knob.

I haven’t got the clips that hold the upper trim in place yet so that’s the mystery bit. I can see where the upper trim clips will go but don’t understand how they attach to the door / window frame. I’m sure with the part in my hand I’ll be able to figure it out

D6D0C0CA-754C-46F8-8ADB-5B6CB5420064.jpeg

Thats a good description (there is no plastic cap anymore for the M4 screw this is now obsolete according to TPS), just bear in mind if you have sliding windows I think the clips on the metal part of the door are probably installed on the production line prior to the window going in ! so when retrofitting at a later date the horizontal rails of the sliding windows get in the way of installing the clips, pull off the top and bottom cover of these plastic rails and look into the other remaining half of the rail and you will see plastic webbing to give this rail strength.

I had to remove parts of the webbing to give me the space to get the clip onto the metal part of the door.

All will become clear when you start it, it is doable.

I have access to online parts catalogue if we need part numbers/prices etc

I have a feeling more clips are required than the severn etka suggest, clip number 40 my memory is struggling going back 4 months but I have a feeling 11 are required in my case, I will take mine to bits tomorrow and have a look and confirm

There’s seven part 39 & 40 clips for the upper trim alone (per door), but looks like you also need more for the window blind at the bottom.

11 per side would seem about right as the blind insert is quite heavy and I can’t see the clips on the card being enough.

Ran a caravelle SE through and this is what shows for the 'as fitted parts'

39 x 7 - 4A0 867 276 A
40 x 7 - 7H0 867 289 A
28 x 4 - 7H5 867 284 A
52 x 3 - 7H0 843 213
22 x 10 - 7L6 868 243 (come with door panel)

Ok had a quick look this morning needed to get rear bench out to take off lower door trim and unfortunately no one around to lift it out with me however have removed upper trim to show the 7 clips no.40 see photos below, something is telling me another 4 of these are required on the lower metal work around window to hold lower trim on (sorry just can’t remember to confirm though) Memory not as good as it use to be!

F20B6C69-9C51-4AC1-812D-79EB4E6CE7B6.jpeg

F01D1969-6469-450F-8D99-4CE827667E75.jpeg

6075D3AD-596F-47A2-BCBA-C228242FE77D.jpeg

I've had a set of these arrive this morning.

There are 7 metal clips around the upper trim, these look like they come apart, the bit you can see clips on to the metal of the door some how and there is a metal pin that pushes into it on the trim.
IMG_5297.jpg

There are 10 of these around the lower door card
IMG_5296.jpg

Then there are 4 clips like this along the blind
IMG_5295.jpg

Ah...got it now.

Part #28 (7H5 867 284 A) is the bottom picture, along the blind :thumbsup:

@Montecha now they look stunning!!! are you Coventry based?

I need to get in touch with the trim guru, where in Coventry is he located?

So the card itself was just scrubbed up by me with some baby wipes and dash cleaner. James did the infills with Black Leather on upper, GTI check on lower. The card and the leather on the infill look very close in colour even though its our old friend titan black on the card. Its a shame that I didn't put a picture up in their original state, its a real transformation.

The Trim Guru is in Bedworth, just north of Coventry. He did my seats and the work was really good, so tapped him up to do the infills. Contact him via their Facebook page, he's really helpful and its part of a much bigger trim business - so not just a guy with a sewing machine. I was an apprentice in Coventry, but live just North of Reading now, so its a bit of a home from home.

I've got to get the upper trims and the clips ordered now, been too busy at work to get to the dealers.

@Montecha ..., I've just took a look, I'll get in touch or even pop over to him as he's not far at all from me.

I've bought two 2nd-hand sets of door cards and window trims this week and I'm thinking of flocking 1 set black to see what they come out like. I've also just picked up a full set of lower dash, A&B pillar trim to do the same.....

Back