Shuttle Conversion - Asymmetric wheel arch metalwork

abunnyuk

Bunny
VIP Member
T6 Pro
I'm in the process of converting my shuttle and I've removed all of the rear trim and the HVAC.

I've had half-height panels cut by Plyworx and I only noticed when fitting them that VW cut out sections of metal around the wheel arch, presumably for the HVAC, resulting in there being nothing to secure the bottom of the panel and exposed areas.

Has anyone come across this and found a solution? I could look to have metal strips or tabs welded to at least cover everything, but I'm hoping for a simpler yet tidy solution.

PXL_20230521_180431127.jpg

Would it not be easier to cut a ply panel to the correct size and pop a couple of self tappers in the bottom?

That's a good shout. I could use that panel as a template and oversize it along that edge.
Make a cardboard template for the bottom edge around the wheel arch then tape it to the ply-then you have a full template. 3mm ply is cheap and easy to cut, but use a fine jigsaw blade as it will rip it apart otherwise.

Is that ply panel down as low as it should be? I fitted full height panels in the back of my shuttle and sure it fitted round the actual arch ok. I had to make a steel panel for where the hvac unit was and carpet it but this is covered by the wardrobe unit anyway

Make a cardboard template for the bottom edge around the wheel arch then tape it to the ply-then you have a full template. 3mm ply is cheap and easy to cut, but use a fine jigsaw blade as it will rip it apart otherwise.
The problem I have is that the sections that have been cut out are on an angled piece of body work, so normally there'd be a slope that would simply get carpeted or be left bare, meaning that I can't extend the panel straight down as it then goes into the cavity. I wonder if some kind of skirting would suffice.

VW do seem to enjoy taking interesting design decisions at times. I can understand why the lowest section has been cut to make room for the HVAC, but I'm guessing that the sections on top of the wheel arch are to provide some kind of heat dissipation as that's where the HVAC pipes run.

Back