Earth Point, Offside Rear Wheel Arch

KR.

T6 Guru
I'm about to install a Victron Orion DC DC charger to replace my Sterling unit. The leisure battery is situated in the units next to the drivers side rear wheel arch and is earthed back to the main starter battery up front. If there are any interim earth points behind the units they're invisible to me, the van is also lined, carpeted etc. I need a 'local' earth point to connect to the leisure battery.
Can I get an earth point (hole with welded nut?) put onto the rear wheel arch, it would need some carpeting cut away and a bit awkward but doable I think. The earth point I've seen at the rear lights is 'outside' and not sure it would be substantial enought for what would be the main leisure electrics earth point.
If it's possible then I could look for a garage to do the welding.

??

Off top head I can’t remember but if not nothing wrong with creating your own no need go to a welder could either rivnut or nut and bolt to create a stud earth point then

I've had a look at the earth points diagram before, I can't see how I'd even locate the rear earth point. The van is lined and carpeted etc the one on the diagram which would be the one I'm after may be the one I'm aware of 'outside' behind the rear light cluster. I think I'll phone around and see if I can get a garage to put something in.

Last edited:
That is another option, but not my preferred one. There must be a benefit in having the shorter cable run.

That is another option, but not my preferred one. There must be a benefit in having the shorter cable run.
You can use any welded stud if you clean the paintwork to ensure a good connection.

With the correct sized cable for the length of run, would probably be the cost of the 2nd cable and it's another cable taking up a hiding space or a space on the battery terminal . it makes the circuit and is same distance. think it would be cheaper than getting in a welder

Welding on the body regardless of how small will impair the galvanising.

The garage has had a cancellation and can do the work tomorrow. Nut and bolt to create a stud earth point, metal bared then treated as appropriate.

Last edited:
Back