Show us your 18s

Have you had those on the van yet bud? My 255 55 18s rubbed on lock and more worryingly there was only 5mm at most behind the rear tyre to arch and bodywork. Unloaded it scrubbed over anything but smooth roads and when I hooked up my trailer the tyre was touching the inner arch. Spacers don't make a difference to the back but a lift kit would.

Have you had those on the van yet bud? My 255 55 18s rubbed on lock and more worryingly there was only 5mm at most behind the rear tyre to arch and bodywork. Unloaded it scrubbed over anything but smooth roads and when I hooked up my trailer the tyre was touching the inner arch. Spacers don't make a difference to the back but a lift kit would.

They went on today, i've not noticed any rubbing while driving it but its tight on full lock as you say. Im not sure if the T32 element means that perhaps it sits a little higher?

They went on today, i've not noticed any rubbing while driving it but its tight on full lock as you say. Im not sure if the T32 element means that perhaps it sits a little higher?
I think some 15mm spacers sort the lock issue, there's others on here who would know as I didn't actually have them on. My van is a T32 Kombi and because I tow it was definitely going to be an issue. The rear arch lining could be pushed back but there's a piece of bodywork at the bottom just tucked underneath the lining that also rubbed. At the end of the day the tyre size didn't suit my needs and I couldn't find anything else on here stating similar to what I found. Nice wheels though pal.

I think some 15mm spacers sort the lock issue, there's others on here who would know as I didn't actually have them on. My van is a T32 Kombi and because I tow it was definitely going to be an issue. The rear arch lining could be pushed back but there's a piece of bodywork at the bottom just tucked underneath the lining that also rubbed. At the end of the day the tyre size didn't suit my needs and I couldn't find anything else on here stating similar to what I found. Nice wheels though pal.
So.. I had a quick look lol..

IMG_5451.jpg

IMG_5452.jpg

IMG_5453.jpg

That's it. The top photo is how mine was. There's an undulating bit of road near me that you drive through about 40mph and the wheel scraped the black liner, then when I attached my trailer albeit heavy the tyre squashed the liner in and was about 3mm from the plastic bodywork. That's when I got worried and thought I'd better take them off. I think if I didn't use the van off road or towed I'd have stuck with them but in the end I couldn't put up with the restrictions. Not trying to throw a spanner in the works but I wish I'd have read about the pitfalls before I purchased and went through the hassle of swapping etc. Iv gone back to 235 55 18s now. 235 60 18s also worked fine but really did effect the gearing.

Back in the day I think there was a saying.. "if it ain't rubbing, you ain't dubbing" that being said i'm pretty sure you could heat gun the arch and push it up a little more.

This problem i'd guess is relative to the use, 95% of the time its just me in the van, but I do want to put the full 9 seats in, so there might be a bit of working out to do on the weight limits.

Just out of curiosity I seem to remember meeting an earthmover a long time ago on UKGSER… I’m assuming you’re one and the same. GS is sold now and just a Thruxton R in the garage for sunny weekend work!

Ah nice!

What’s the suspension setup?

Just out of curiosity I seem to remember meeting an earthmover a long time ago on UKGSER… I’m assuming you’re one and the same. GS is sold now and just a Thruxton R in the garage for sunny weekend work!
The one and same! Still have my GS, and a couple of other off road bikes, which is what the van is for.
Cheers
Mark

Threads merged
Cant find a thread dedicated to 18s, so ill make one...forgive me if one exists.
show us your 18 inch alloys/ steels, with info. ET, tyres and wheels ratiing etc and how low did ya gooo :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back